Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 6 of 10: Posts 101 - 120 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/7/18 18:06
What about your brother Mark Bates?
by Mark Bates (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/8/21 13:16
I was 3 to 6 years old when i was there from 1970 to 1973. My father was a meteorologist
when he was stationed there.
by KCasey rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/8/21 14:40
Also my father was a Boy Scout leader and my brother was in the Scouts.

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/8/21 14:46
There was a joint event between the American Scouts and the Japanese Scouts, and also my father took his troop and another group to Mt. Fuji, If any one remembers those events.

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/9/3 05:10
I lived there from 1970-74.I lived in 133A by the elementary school. My close friends were Bob Yates, Vince Young, Alfred Stilley, Greg Conti, Karl Davis and many others. Look me up on Facebook.
by Charles B. Stauffer Jr. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2012/9/7 07:37
I lived there from 72-74 at 353-A. I hung out with Keith Larson, Tom Windover, Bill Bain, Andre Jones just to name a few. Played baseball on the Tigers (pitcher). I remember you Charlie from back at KM. My family was one of the last to leave the base. It was like a ghost town walking around at night. My father got shipped up to Yokota from 74-76 where we finished out his tour. After we came back to California to the same place that we had left from. Nice to see some old names and stories that bring back so many memories.
by Richard Brown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/2/8 06:23
We lived there from 69-73. Some of my best memories are the little candy man across the street. I would love to see any pictures of our old home. We were 607D. Also remember the first movie showing after I got my ID card was Tora, Tora, Tora. $.25 cents got you a very long movie and a paper bag of popcorn.
by Kee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/3/6 14:05
lived on Kanto Mura from 69-72 and went to chofu elementary. the photo brings back memories
by d crook (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/9/8 09:51
Hey Vince, thanks for remembering me!
by KarenSurfer rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/12/1 23:55
Ilived in Kanto Mura 67 to 70 played JV football for the vikings firstjob was sacking groceries at the commisary
by Eddie Frazier (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/12/9 01:57
Yes, my whole family lived there from 1967 through 1971 before we moved to Yokota... I was actually born at Tachikawa in 1970, but all of my siblings were in school while we lived at Kanto Mura (Kerry, David and Donna Ferguson)

was just chatting about this with my parents and they mentioned Kanto Mura, so I looked it up! Glad I did!

Cheers!
by Craig H Ferguson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2013/12/22 00:21
HEY karen i remember you! tried mailing you here @ this site let me know how you are doing . p.s i got a hold of charlie stauffer. MERRY XMAS to all on this site! vince
by Vince young (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/4/5 05:59
My family lived there 1971-1974. I was very young and do not recognize your name. I have fond memories of Japan and hope some day to travel there again. Harrison was my last name. My dad was in the AF.
by Kristine Harrison Baltz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/4/15 05:52
I lived at Kanto Mura around that time. I remember playing on the girl's softball team and Mr Downey was my coach--he was tough! He wrote "Think" all over the practice softball. Those were good times! Some of the names on these posts I remember, awwww memories.
Susan
by unibrow rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/5/5 08:36
We lived on Kanta Mura 69-72. My brother, Terrence, and I went to Chofu Elem and my older brother and sister, Tyrone and Sandy went to Chofu Mid and High. I too remember buying candy from Hole in the fence. I was a brownie and my mom was my leader. Tyrone was also a member of the Brotherhood and played football. A treasure of memories and a great experience!
by Clarice (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/7/17 00:06
Yes I did! I was there from 1971-1973 & have lots of memories. It's great to read yours too! I went to Elementary in 2nd & 3rd Grade. Had Mrs. Humperdink and Mrs. Kelly.
Loved buying Minkos and japanese erasers through the hole. Papa-san!!
Remember the clackers and the screw on roller skate phases? How about the go carts? Minkos were fun. Cicada catching. Summerland! Great place to grow up.
by Eileen M. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/7/24 09:11
Hey Gary Deanda, do you have a sister Kay. I went to school with her at Chofu and have a poetry book which she wrote in creative writing class. Would love to get it back to her.
by Elise (guest) rate this post as useful

Lived in Kanto Mura 1964-1966 2014/8/8 06:42
Lived in“rainbow gulch”(as my older sister referred to it) at 449KA (blue bldg near the rear of the complex). Attended Chofu Middle School for 7th and 8th grades. Remember an eighth-grade teacher, Mr. Baker, who use to have numerous quizzes each day. Remember watching the Olympic“walkers”as they passed along the highway outside the front security fence. A neighbor lady who lived in another unit of the same building, went into Tokyo during the 1965 filming of Cary Grant's last movie, “Walk, Don’t Run," and managed to get to the front of a crowd control barrier. He came over and kissed her hand during a break in the filming. (Wonder if she's ever washed that hand all these decades later–lol?) Remember the “hole in the fence”and buying model kits there – as well as Minkos. Saw the late Rick Nelson perform in April 1966 at either Yokota or Tachikawa on (or very close to) my birthday, Saw"Goldfinger" among many other movies at the base theater. Gas on base was around 14 cents/gallon -- and it was 360 yen to the dollar. Family went and ate at Chako's in Tokyo; had a Kobe beef meal for $5.00/ person (1965 dollars). The old Sanno Hotel is long gone; and Tokyo has been so redeveloped since those days. Ah, rememberng the joys of being "packed" into the trains.
by GK (guest) rate this post as useful

I lived in KM 64 - 67 2014/8/28 10:38
I remember Mr. Baker of the many daily quizzes as my 6th grade teacher. I stayed on at CJHS for 7th and 8th. Those were some of the best of times and I have many, many fond memories from there.
by AnotherOldDawg (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2014/9/4 23:17
I had been lived in Kamiishihara Chofu just outside of the Kanto Mura.

My family was a long-time Chofu resident. We lived there for 70 years. There was no Kanto Mura back then, but some Americans lived in the same area. My grandfather was a Japanese government official so he might helped Americans in some way. My grandmother told me she used to shop at the Supermarket in Kanto Mura and she loved it. My farther told me one American boy used to come to his house to play and eat dinner with him. Surprisingly it was more than 60 years ago. He still has an old photo of that American boy. so no wonder Pam S, you have an experience staying with Japanese family.

Anyway, as a long time Chofu resident, I think you might staid in Jindaiji, it's not far from Kanto Mura and high-class resident area in Chofu. Houses in Jindaiji tend to have a good back yard, which was very rare for that time in Japan. I would choose Jindaiji area if I were your teacher..Safe and good neighborhood. Or that Japanese kid might be a student of Toho Private School in Chofu. Toho School is actively participating international exchange program and they traditionally has some native English instructors.

Old Fuchu, Tobitakyu, and Chofu was gone and now Nishi-Chofu is zoning. My house was demolished. My parents had to move out. It was not so densely city back in 60s-70s,now there are lots of apartment buildings. Most of the current Chofu residents came from other areas. They don't know there was the United States in Chofu.

by Mari L S rate this post as useful

Page 6 of 10: Posts 101 - 120 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

reply to this thread