Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 6 of 9: Posts 101 - 120 of 180
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
next

Hey Sal 2006/6/3 16:45
I could post it again, but... I'm sure the moderator will take it down again.

In short, buyer beware. Are you male or female? if you are the former, this is a difficult area to work in. This is an area of PKC that has had more that it's share of ups and downs.

I suggest that you request a different part of the country if you are applying with PKC. My friends who live and work for PKC in Yamaguchi will agree.
by Yamaguchi rate this post as useful

Veddy Eeen-tudd-es-teen 2006/6/4 04:37
Wow, thanks very much for your response. This should be very helpful in any made decisions. I'm curious about one thing though: when you say "moderator" and "spy on you" (in previous response), is this similar to something out of a famous novel by the same name of a year of the Reagan Administration? Thanks!
by Sal rate this post as useful

Dosh Transfers 2006/6/5 07:23
Hi, does anyone have information on transferring/declaring funds from Jpn to say, US, when year is completed? Any advice/info would be helpful. Thanks!
by Sal rate this post as useful

Worst company 2006/6/7 15:19
Why was the Yamaguchi thread deleted? I am curious. That is incredibly stupid if it was useful, unless it was racially offensive.

In any case PKC was without a doubt the worst company I have ever worked for. More people quit than stay, at least when I worked there so you should be careful.

I suppose I could bad mouth the company and tell you how horrible it is for most teachers but the company is very small so your experience will depend upon where you are placed in Japan. I think that is why not so many teachers complain about the company but they hate the job.

Basically, most teachers are placed in very rural areas where there is little or no support at all. This is because the schools themselves are out in the boonies or in rural farm areas. The big English schools like Nova, Aeon, etc., are located at popular subway stations or populated places like malls and large cities. Thus, most of the teachers live in good areas where they are able to get support or some kind of social life. But not at Peppy. I got screwed cause they placed me in Northern Japan where I had geckos and snakes in my back yard! Nobody in my city spoke English, even the Japanese teachers couldn't speak English that well. Also my supervisor who was new didn't help me at all for the first few weeks.

Oh and what that guy said about being fired for being late, he is wrong! Ha ha. They won't fire you for coming in late they will ask you to resign. There is a huge difference I know cause they asked me to resign after I made one of the parents angry for waiting. But I don't regret going to Japan, I got a better job now.
by Ex_Peppy_slave rate this post as useful

To be Peppy or not? 2006/6/12 22:51
It seems like there are a lot of ex and current Peppy teachers out there both with positive and negative things to say about this company.

I would have to say LISTEN carefully to what everyone has said, because I would have to agree with everything said so far. Except the one that said that you would travel 3 hours a day on average. That is usually not the case, but there are some teachers with really awful commutes. My commutes, for example are at the most an hour a day. However, I find it much easier to actually bike to class because I am then not stranded out in the middle of nowhere when the buses stop running at 9pm and you're still in the classroom.

The pros:
It's been pointed out that the working hours are nice. That's pretty true unless you have a really busy and successful school (in which case you end up working a lot more).

You will often find teachers that will tell you that they have a one hour work day. (not including commuting). Technically it's 1.5 hours because you need to show up 30 minutes before class. Still, pretty darn nice to have those days.

The training and support are really good. They don't expect you to have an ESL diploma or even a degree in teaching. I have known co-workers fresh out of high school teaching. Basically, as long as you're 'genki' and able to work in Japan, you can be accepted.

I've heard that some people call training HELL. Not really. They're long days, and if you can't learn to cope, then you'll be in for a much worse surprise later on. A lot of the training consists of learning how to live in Japan along with learning their particular curriculum. You'll be expected to know it and although it's simple, there is just a lot to memorize. They'll cram as much as they can in that two week period and give you Sundays off (which a lot of people ended up working on their lesssons anyway). I would have to say that I actually enjoyed the training because I had a great trainer and a really great group of people that I trained with.

When I talk about the support, I really mean the ongoing training. Although people complain about staff meetings, we actually learn quite a lot in our area. I can see how a poor Performance Supervisor (PS) will end up giving crap meetings. Our PS is very proactive and focuses on how to make our lessons better, how to maintain discipline and anything else we may ask for.

Sounds good? It is for the most part a good way to enjoy Japan. If you are an early riser, you can get a lot of stuff done during the day before your classes start. If you like to stay up late, you can sleep in until noon easily on most days.

The Cons:
Like most people have already pointed out, you are usually posted in the rural areas of Japan. Out there you are on your on. Depending on your PS, you can have either poor, good or great support. If you're not willing to get out and mingle with Japanese people you'll have a very difficult time. Ladies, please note it might be especially difficult for you since eating alone in a restaurant can be an ordeal. If you're in the city, it's quite different, but out in the rural areas people whisper a lot behind your back. To your face they are extremely polite and then go and say nasty things about to you while they smile at you.

What they say about the company being cheap is very true. They will expect you to have great lessons and your managers and everyone encourage you to give great lessons, etc. But, if you need any extra materials, you pretty much have to get it yourself, unless you can find it in your classrooms.

You are NOT allowed to teach on the side (although I expect many companies would have that same stipulation). That said, I have heard of a lot of people that admit that they have.

Oh, did I mention that you're basically on your own? This can be a good and bad thing. You open up your classroom, close the classroom and are basically the only adult there except for the parents who drop of their children.

There is a ton of paperwork all the time, all of which you are to do on your own time...so those one hour class days are really a good day to do some of that. Unless of course you get an 'office day'. On those days you are expected to show up at the office in a suit (or at least a shirt and tie) and spend 5.5 hours trying to look busy doing something. It's a good opportunity to work on lessons, games, paperwork etc...but if you've been doing this for awhile, you'll have already done most of it beforehand. Just hope that they don't ask you to 'produce' something tangible for other teachers and you can pretty much do whatever you want for that time.

What they say about being late is true. You can be fired for being late just once (depending on the circumstances, etc) but you are generally given a few chances.

I was late early in on my teaching and lost a few 'points'. Each point is worth a certain amount of money. I think 10,000 yen now. It was a stupid error but it was my own fault. I misread the schedule and ended up coming at the wrong time. I had to bow and scrape for about a month to all my supervisors, the Japanese teacher who normally taught at the school and then to the parents. I ended up losing a lot of cash (but it was part of the bonus anyway) and had the threat of dismissal looming over my head.

Also, if you don't get along with anyone at all, you're in for a rough ride. Do yourself a favour and become Japanese...that is if you don't like someone, keep it to yourself and be as nice as you possibly can to them. If a Japanese teacher doesn't like you, they can make your life hell.

I know that from personal experience (I'm going through some hell right now). I've had a lot of problems, but then my PS and other managers have watched my lesson and had nothing but good things to say about my teaching. Not good enough.

There are so many ways that the Japanese teacher can cast doubt on you and then everyone is looking at you to make a mistake and then the boom lowers (as it did with me).

I was asked to go on a business trip and although I arrived at the city on time, the map that they provided me to go to the school was wrong (I didn't know it at the time and thought I was going the right way).

That's about all the details I'll give here....I don't know the outcome yet, but from what I've been told it's still considered my fault. I'm not sure how since I couldn't have gone ANY earlier and sometimes maps can be wrong. Apparently you need to be part clairvoyant in order to avoid being late. I think that if I was not being already scrutinized because my Japanese teacher had it in for me I wouldn't be in trouble, but there you go. Office politics at it's best. The ironic part is that all my supervisors were beginning to really hate the Japanese teacher because she is always whining about something. I was just unlucky enough that people eventually started to listen to her.

Oh yeah, the thing about the kids is true as well. They do have a 'safeguard' against that. If something actually does occur in the classroom, you can write a report which will be sent to the head office. At that point they will listen to your side of things, but basically, if the child says something and the parents want something done, there is pretty much little you can do about it.

It kind of makes you upset sometimes, but I think that most kids are really awesome.

So, there you have it. The good, the bad and the ugly. I actually enjoy my job, love teaching children and enjoy my co-workers (when I see them ... about once a month). What I don't like is the lack of respect from the company and the disdain that they have for all the employees. There is absolutely no love from them at all. The claim that they will support you but it's all BS when it comes down to it. The support you get from your PS all depends on what they are like. If you get a newbie or someone who is jaded and hates their job, well you might be in for a rough ride.

If you think that I'm a disgruntled worker, you're wrong. Like I said, I enjoy the work. When I first started working for them I really enjoyed a lot of the people around me. When I started to get to know them I started hearing a lot of negative things (most of which I covered) from them. Most of the problems that they had could have been solved with better mangerial support. The PS people are basically English speakers as well who wanted a better position then a NATIVE English speaker. So, they are basically YOUR supervisor. That said, they have little or no power in the company other than the control they have over you. They can write a bad report which affects your bonus and the decision to hire you on again. If you're late, they have the power to be lenient and not say anything or bring the hammer down on you.

What they dont' have however, is the power to help you in anyway should you need a good word with the company. If you're late, for instance, they can't step in and say, "yes, but they are a good teacher. I say we should keep them on". Nope, it's out of their hands.

What you get is a lecture from the Area Manager, and if you're unlucky someone from "Head office" gives you a call and gives you the bad news.

Recommendations?
If you want to learn about Japan, and are here for a year and then want to go back home, it's a great place to work for. You'll be able to pay off your loans and even save money unless they saddle you with a really expensive apartment.

If you're planning to stay longer, I totally suggest you look into getting your own place that isn't dependent on your job. If they fire you, you basically have to go back home. If you don't want to go, you don't have much of a choice since you're summarily booted out of your apartment. In the time I have worked in this area I have known 3 teachers who have been fired (less than a year time) for being late. Actually, I should say 'asked to resign'. They were asked to work out the remaining month and then leave the apartment. The last person told me that he had to work right up until he had to leave. He was given less than a months notice in which time he had to continue to work. He basically had 2 days to leave the apartment and they didn't make it easy for him despite the fact that he bent over backwards to accommodate them.

Also, while you're here, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NEVER LATE. I can't stress that strongly enough. You will hear it a lot, and for good reason. The ONLY excuse that seems to be valid is: the train was delayed (you need to show proof). Oh, and also you might get away with being late if you were in an accident, but again, you would have to show some tangible proof.

It seems that they give the Japanese teachers a tiny bit more lattitude, but they too are scrutinized for being late. If they are caught in a bad traffic jam, they MIGHT be excused. We, however, cannot use that excuse since we are not allowed required to take public transit to the classrooms. Technically we are not supposed to drive or take a bike, but there are many who do anyway.

Another thing to do is to really try hard to make some Japanese friends. They will be invaluable. During the first month of arriving Peppy Kids is fairly helpful and don't if you call up the support line if you're in a jam. After that, you have to been in an emergency otherwise you will hear about it later. Also, you MIGHT be able to call up your PS, but then they might not be of much use either. Most of the problems that I have had in Japan had to do with not being fluent in Japanese. Most of the PSs are not fluent either.

Another reason to really try hard to make Japanese friends is because you will probably rarely see your co-workers except during staff meetings.

You might be close to one other person...but probably not more than that unless you live in the city.

Mostly, keep your head down and try and do what they want you to do and you should be fine. If you find yourself late even once, you might be labelled as chronically late. I kid you not. People here (I'm not talking about Japanese, but rather people who work in the company) are quick to judge you and often the labels will stick regardless of the truth.

Just beware of that. If you plan on staying longer, do yourself a big favour and find your own apartment. It's a really difficult thing to do, but if you can do it then you will be just one less bit completely dependent on the company.

Good luck!

PKC gaijin
by peppy NT rate this post as useful

Its what ya make of it 2006/7/12 18:06
Have been reading the thread about PKC to see what the punters think. I must say, having worked with PKC for 18months 'It is what ya make of it' Sure we all have bad classes, show me a job without a bad side. Sure the kids can be 'demanding' and 'hurtful',however just do your best. Thats all anyone can ask.If you do not put in the effort then there can be no reward. PKC is not perfect however it does try to support its teachers. If PKC is not for you then give a couple of months notice and leave, its not jail...you are not forced to stay. Before you leave do the math(An average of 3classes a day + prep time 1hour (30min before class and the 30after to tidy and wait for parents)+ commute average of 3hours total....so we have a workday of 7hours, worst case scenario...best case could be 30min commute 2 classes +prep 4hours or less in total. Now the big schools make you stay in the office for 8hours(even if you only teach 1class, plus,since most people in any country don't live at the office they have a commute on top of that. (A lot of people complain about the commute..sure sometimes its a b"£$h ...(I used to have to commute 3 hours each way to teach 3 classes, so it was a long day, but another school was walking distance fro my house with 3classes.)but every person who works, in any job must commute to work.
So just do YOUR best and have fun.
My tips, Learn the language, go out and enjoy yourself, do NOT go to work hung over, make your appartment comfy, dont be hostile towards people, relax.
by josh rate this post as useful

Without degree ok? 2006/7/14 12:06
Looking into peppy too, anyone without a degree working for peppy? and is the training really hell??
by Karen rate this post as useful

release letter from peppy's 2006/7/25 22:03
i was wondering if anyone could give me some information about getting a release letter from peppy's? i came to japan a year ago with a job from peppy's but wasn't able to start due to personal problems and talked to the peppy rep' here in japan and they said it was my decision.
I fully thought I would head back home but ended up staying here and getting another job and still plan to stay longer. My visa will expire soon and I never knew that I needed a letter of release from the company, or so immigration says. Can anyone shed some light on this or how to go about asking for one in this situation?
It's been interesting to read about working at peppy's by the way as I had fully intended to go work there and was disappointed that I never did and I've had both good and bad experiences since then.
Thanks!
by nowintokyo rate this post as useful

Mr. JASON WRIGHT 2006/7/29 22:16
Have anyone met Mr. Jason Wright? What is he like? Just curious... Cuz I've been exchanging emails with him several times.
by peppyapplicant rate this post as useful

Attn: nowintokyo 2006/8/12 15:37
just for confirmation, you accepted a position with PKC and came to Japan with the premise of working for them but for whatever reason you took a position with an alternate employer, correct?

If that's the case, then PKC never hired you in the first place although they might have helped get your paper work through with your initial visa. Did you ever sign a contract of employment with PKC upon arrival in Japan? Since you seem to have a job in Japan, what does your ARC say on the front in terms of your place of employment? I would look at that first before hitting up PKC for a letter of release if you never signed on with them initially.
by geisha girl rate this post as useful

re: peppyapplicant 2006/8/12 15:40
about jw... I've only ever had pleasent interactions with him. that doesnt seem to be the case with others, but then in the real world no one is required to be super polite to someone they dont know.

you're the one looking for a job.
he's the one who decides if you're worthy or not.
looking at it from a 3rd person's perspective, it's your job to kiss up to him, not the other way around.

good luck.
by pkc employee rate this post as useful

about 2006/9/7 23:11
Ive been working for this company for quite some time now. My advice for newcomers is this: 1 keep your nose clean, show up on time, follow the lesson manual but make up your own games for the key sentence, dont make waves, play the game.

The last point is most important.
You dont have to try really hard to fit in, cuz your basically on your own for the most part.
But if you get a bad rep its hard to beat it and your better off quitin if it comes to that
Just show up 1 hour before
to give yourself time to set up alot of activities and games to keep the kids busy
and guess what...if you dont show up early you will prob.
end up leaving late, because you have to fill out a challenging class report, or heaven forbid injury report due to your incompetence in being proactive, but thats just my opinion...
beware of overbearing Personal supervisor and Regional Coordinator
remember they make 10.000 yen more than you and their primary motivation in pursuing this position is power tripping not the money
or the merits of having it on their resume, before in Nagoya there was an 18 year old manager, in charge of NT with PHD... most of the managment of PKC
sucks, thats got to be my biggest regret with this company. But its ez money, and you cant beat the hours.
You wont get rich off 250000
but if you have the entrepreneurial spirit
you could build a private student base ...say 3 students mornings and take
privates on Sunday or Monday
and your income could be
300,000-400,000
when you think about it
its alot easier than forming your own school if your here
short term, alot less work
last words of warning
dont be late
dont talk at meeting
unless you have something important to say
treat greet and send off
of student as most imp of lesson
give alot of acknowledgement
to students
care about your lesson plan
make it fun for you foremost
and it will be fun for your student.

SMILE, YOU CHOSE PKC
by Jeff Krauss rate this post as useful

Good company 2006/9/8 20:41
I had a very positive experience teaching with Peppy 1998-2001. Currently two of my mates work for PKC and they speak very highly of it as well.
by Jake Blanchard rate this post as useful

dear jeff... 2006/9/9 10:54
some of the points you made were totally valid - especially the ones about going to class early to ensure that your lessons are prepared and treating greeting and send off with importance.

however, i would also like to point out to you that PSs and RPMs do not make 10000 yen more than teachers. they earn 35000 more than regular teachers do. i've also been fortunate enough not to have met the power hungry PSs. We all know the PS who used to work in Nagoya who didnt even graduate from high school but was managing a PHd grad.

by pkc drone rate this post as useful

bringing money 2006/9/10 02:11
Whats the best way to bring money home from Japan? I was wondering how much one is allowed to bring on the plane.
by Peppy kids club rate this post as useful

response to PKC drone 2006/9/10 02:39
your right about the salary figure. this information was given to me in training, i should consider more carefully the source. not all
the managers are p.trippers
point taken.
by Jeff Krauss rate this post as useful

Hm 2006/9/10 06:17
I'm 18 years old and heading over with Peppy Kids on a working holiday visa, I'm supposed to be there for the October 2nd start date, anyone else going to be there?

being on a working holiday visa means that they're not going to meet me at the airport, and I'm going to have to find a way to the hotel, and then to the office on the day of the interview by myself.

is anyone in the same boat, or in Nagoya that can give me some directions or advice?

Thanks!
my e-mail address is strumaticpicante@gmail.com
by Micaela rate this post as useful

pros and cons 2006/9/10 14:57
It seems like there are a lot of ex and current Peppy teachers out there both with positive and negative things to say about this company.
I would have to say LISTEN carefully to what everyone has said, because I would have to agree with everything said so far. Except the one that said that you would travel 3 hours a day on average. That is usually not the case, but there are some teachers with really awful commutes. My commutes, for example are at the most an hour a day. However, I find it much easier to actually bike to class because I am then not stranded out in the middle of nowhere when the buses stop running at 9pm and you're still in the classroom.

The pros:
It's been pointed out that the working hours are nice. That's pretty true unless you have a really busy and successful school (in which case you end up working a lot more).

You will often find teachers that will tell you that they have a one hour work day. (not including commuting). Technically it's 1.5 hours because you need to show up 30 minutes before class. Still, pretty darn nice to have those days.

The training and support are really good. They don't expect you to have an ESL diploma or even a degree in teaching. I have known co-workers fresh out of high school teaching. Basically, as long as you're 'genki' and able to work in Japan, you can be accepted.

I've heard that some people call training HELL. Not really. They're long days, and if you can't learn to cope, then you'll be in for a much worse surprise later on. A lot of the training consists of learning how to live in Japan along with learning their particular curriculum. You'll be expected to know it and although it's simple, there is just a lot to memorize. They'll cram as much as they can in that two week period and give you Sundays off (which a lot of people ended up working on their lesssons anyway). I would have to say that I actually enjoyed the training because I had a great trainer and a really great group of people that I trained with.

When I talk about the support, I really mean the ongoing training. Although people complain about staff meetings, we actually learn quite a lot in our area. I can see how a poor Performance Supervisor (PS) will end up giving crap meetings. Our PS is very proactive and focuses on how to make our lessons better, how to maintain discipline and anything else we may ask for.

Sounds good? It is for the most part a good way to enjoy Japan. If you are an early riser, you can get a lot of stuff done during the day before your classes start. If you like to stay up late, you can sleep in until noon easily on most days.

The Cons:
Like most people have already pointed out, you are usually posted in the rural areas of Japan. Out there you are on your on. Depending on your PS, you can have either poor, good or great support. If you're not willing to get out and mingle with Japanese people you'll have a very difficult time. Ladies, please note it might be especially difficult for you since eating alone in a restaurant can be an ordeal. If you're in the city, it's quite different, but out in the rural areas people whisper a lot behind your back. To your face they are extremely polite and then go and say nasty things about to you while they smile at you.

What they say about the company being cheap is very true. They will expect you to have great lessons and your managers and everyone encourage you to give great lessons, etc. But, if you need any extra materials, you pretty much have to get it yourself, unless you can find it in your classrooms.

You are NOT allowed to teach on the side (although I expect many companies would have that same stipulation). That said, I have heard of a lot of people that admit that they have.

Oh, did I mention that you're basically on your own? This can be a good and bad thing. You open up your classroom, close the classroom and are basically the only adult there except for the parents who drop of their children.

There is a ton of paperwork all the time, all of which you are to do on your own time...so those one hour class days are really a good day to do some of that. Unless of course you get an 'office day'. On those days you are expected to show up at the office in a suit (or at least a shirt and tie) and spend 5.5 hours trying to look busy doing something. It's a good opportunity to work on lessons, games, paperwork etc...but if you've been doing this for awhile, you'll have already done most of it beforehand. Just hope that they don't ask you to 'produce' something tangible for other teachers and you can pretty much do whatever you want for that time.

What they say about being late is true. You can be fired for being late just once (depending on the circumstances, etc) but you are generally given a few chances.

I was late early in on my teaching and lost a few 'points'. Each point is worth a certain amount of money. I think 10,000 yen now. It was a stupid error but it was my own fault. I misread the schedule and ended up coming at the wrong time. I had to bow and scrape for about a month to all my supervisors, the Japanese teacher who normally taught at the school and then to the parents. I ended up losing a lot of cash (but it was part of the bonus anyway) and had the threat of dismissal looming over my head.

Also, if you don't get along with anyone at all, you're in for a rough ride. Do yourself a favour and become Japanese...that is if you don't like someone, keep it to yourself and be as nice as you possibly can to them. If a Japanese teacher doesn't like you, they can make your life hell.

I know that from personal experience (I'm going through some hell right now). I've had a lot of problems, but then my PS and other managers have watched my lesson and had nothing but good things to say about my teaching. Not good enough.

There are so many ways that the Japanese teacher can cast doubt on you and then everyone is looking at you to make a mistake and then the boom lowers (as it did with me).

I was asked to go on a business trip and although I arrived at the city on time, the map that they provided me to go to the school was wrong (I didn't know it at the time and thought I was going the right way).

That's about all the details I'll give here....I don't know the outcome yet, but from what I've been told it's still considered my fault. I'm not sure how since I couldn't have gone ANY earlier and sometimes maps can be wrong. Apparently you need to be part clairvoyant in order to avoid being late. I think that if I was not being already scrutinized because my Japanese teacher had it in for me I wouldn't be in trouble, but there you go. Office politics at it's best. The ironic part is that all my supervisors were beginning to really hate the Japanese teacher because she is always whining about something. I was just unlucky enough that people eventually started to listen to her.

Oh yeah, the thing about the kids is true as well. They do have a 'safeguard' against that. If something actually does occur in the classroom, you can write a report which will be sent to the head office. At that point they will listen to your side of things, but basically, if the child says something and the parents want something done, there is pretty much little you can do about it.

It kind of makes you upset sometimes, but I think that most kids are really awesome.

So, there you have it. The good, the bad and the ugly. I actually enjoy my job, love teaching children and enjoy my co-workers (when I see them ... about once a month). What I don't like is the lack of respect from the company and the disdain that they have for all the employees. There is absolutely no love from them at all. The claim that they will support you but it's all BS when it comes down to it. The support you get from your PS all depends on what they are like. If you get a newbie or someone who is jaded and hates their job, well you might be in for a rough ride.

If you think that I'm a disgruntled worker, you're wrong. Like I said, I enjoy the work. When I first started working for them I really enjoyed a lot of the people around me. When I started to get to know them I started hearing a lot of negative things (most of which I covered) from them. Most of the problems that they had could have been solved with better mangerial support. The PS people are basically English speakers as well who wanted a better position then a NATIVE English speaker. So, they are basically YOUR supervisor. That said, they have little or no power in the company other than the control they have over you. They can write a bad report which affects your bonus and the decision to hire you on again. If you're late, they have the power to be lenient and not say anything or bring the hammer down on you.

What they dont' have however, is the power to help you in anyway should you need a good word with the company. If you're late, for instance, they can't step in and say, "yes, but they are a good teacher. I say we should keep them on". Nope, it's out of their hands.

What you get is a lecture from the Area Manager, and if you're unlucky someone from "Head office" gives you a call and gives you the bad news.

Recommendations?
If you want to learn about Japan, and are here for a year and then want to go back home, it's a great place to work for. You'll be able to pay off your loans and even save money unless they saddle you with a really expensive apartment.

If you're planning to stay longer, I totally suggest you look into getting your own place that isn't dependent on your job. If they fire you, you basically have to go back home. If you don't want to go, you don't have much of a choice since you're summarily booted out of your apartment. In the time I have worked in this area I have known 3 teachers who have been fired (less than a year time) for being late. Actually, I should say 'asked to resign'. They were asked to work out the remaining month and then leave the apartment. The last person told me that he had to work right up until he had to leave. He was given less than a months notice in which time he had to continue to work. He basically had 2 days to leave the apartment and they didn't make it easy for him despite the fact that he bent over backwards to accommodate them.

Also, while you're here, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NEVER LATE. I can't stress that strongly enough. You will hear it a lot, and for good reason. The ONLY excuse that seems to be valid is: the train was delayed (you need to show proof). Oh, and also you might get away with being late if you were in an accident, but again, you would have to show some tangible proof.

It seems that they give the Japanese teachers a tiny bit more lattitude, but they too are scrutinized for being late. If they are caught in a bad traffic jam, they MIGHT be excused. We, however, cannot use that excuse since we are not allowed required to take public transit to the classrooms. Technically we are not supposed to drive or take a bike, but there are many who do anyway.

Another thing to do is to really try hard to make some Japanese friends. They will be invaluable. During the first month of arriving Peppy Kids is fairly helpful and don't if you call up the support line if you're in a jam. After that, you have to been in an emergency otherwise you will hear about it later. Also, you MIGHT be able to call up your PS, but then they might not be of much use either. Most of the problems that I have had in Japan had to do with not being fluent in Japanese. Most of the PSs are not fluent either.

Another reason to really try hard to make Japanese friends is because you will probably rarely see your co-workers except during staff meetings.

You might be close to one other person...but probably not more than that unless you live in the city.

Mostly, keep your head down and try and do what they want you to do and you should be fine. If you find yourself late even once, you might be labelled as chronically late. I kid you not. People here (I'm not talking about Japanese, but rather people who work in the company) are quick to judge you and often the labels will stick regardless of the truth.

Just beware of that. If you plan on staying longer, do yourself a big favour and find your own apartment. It's a really difficult thing to do, but if you can do it then you will be just one less bit completely dependent on the company.

Good luck!

PKC gaijin

by PKC Gaijin rate this post as useful

Nova 2006/9/11 17:29
I am a former employee of peppy. I worked there 4 years. One thing I can say is that they company tried to improve itself over the 4 years I was with it. I have heard there was a restructuring this year in January though that went the wrong direction, and was a step downnward.
The job was good for me in that the hours were nice. Enough free time to do whatever I felt like. The downside of the job is that the company is fairly cheap, and wont give any extra money for anythinng, and will also not allow any work outside the company. So you are basically tied to the money they give you with no hope of getting anymore (legitimately).

Support for living in Japan can be great, or can be horrible, depending on your supervisor. Some supervisors are great, and some have no clue whatsoever.

Working with the kids can be hard, but it can also be satisfying. If you dont like kids, DONT TAKE THIS JOB. You will hate it. If you like kids, and are pretty laid back and can deal with the hassles of the company, its proably a pretty good job for you. Way better than Nova.

WHV holders beware - the pay is hard to live on. It is not the companies fault that the tax levels are higher, rather it is a governement decision. Either way, working holiday visa holders usually dont have enough money to do much more than live. Travelling is almost out of the question, and so is most everything else.
by former employee rate this post as useful

Peppy's 2006/9/23 09:52
My wife and I worked for Peppy for almost a year. Must love kids should be in the job posting. Traveling is expected. I think I did the figures accurately: 12 different schools with over 1200 different kids. Great money for the hours but the commuting sucks. BUT, we banked our holidays and took almost a month of in Dec and went to Thailand. We also made a trip to Beijing. Good times.

In fact let me know if they are showing the jiu-jitsu video for self-defence. I taught it to the Native English teachers. Yep, all 250 of them.
by Gordon rate this post as useful

Page 6 of 9: Posts 101 - 120 of 180
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
next

reply to this thread