Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 63 of 233: Posts 1241 - 1260 of 4650
prev
1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 233
next

State Department 2009/3/7 23:34
You tell em Steffi, Yea no picking on Peter.. [ I love it when girls fight my battles for me] And the people at the State department don't have to spell correctly.. thats the job of the Education department.. I think..
And I saw these photos somewhere as well. I especially like the one of the base housing unit with all of the exposed overhead pipes running along the backyards. Who says Americans don't have style ! Wally would feel right at home.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter-san 2009/3/8 01:02
Overhead pipes? What are overhead pipes? Outhouses don't need no overhead pipes!
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Ah so 2009/3/8 01:32
Overhead pipes ? ah so true, sorry I forgot. Pipes as in what you smoke your states cash crop in. Oh by the way.. do you live near Branson, thinking we might fly out there for a day and catch some of that wonderful music, I understand that you like both types of music, country AND western. Steffi and I are going to the opera sometime, down in the big city, I am getting ready for it today, I ordered a set of designer ear plugs. Hey you could join us ! do you speak Italian? I think that all of the operas are in Italian.

Lori's response 2009/3/8 02:02
Yes, this is part of the area I frequented during the time I lived in Japan. The link has been posted at least once before on this thread; the pictures are kind of sad to look at but do bring back memories. The pictures of the Honmoku area show scenes from around the Navy Exchange/Commissary/community support area and the housing areas that surrounded them. They were slowly closing this area when I first lived there (4/80-4/82) so it could be given back to the Japanese. Replacement community support facilities were built in Negishi Heights in the very early '80fs to replace the Honmoku facilities.
The pictures taken in the Negishi Heights area, which is where I lived, are all taken in the gcommunity supporth area – Navy Exchange, Commissary, etc. That part of the Negishi Heights area is the gother endh from where I lived. There is a picture of a map or diagram of the area in the Negishi section of the pictures (the ninth picture) and if you enlarge that picture by clicking on it, you can see it a bit better; our house is located on the far right of the area shown in that diagram. Itfs still there; I can see it on satellite images.
Nagai Heights was a Navy Housing area closer to the Yokosuka Navy Base (which is the shipyard/port). As for the overhead pipes that can be seen in some of the pictures, those were part of the hot water and steam heat system. I have taken (another) walk down (or I should say gthroughh) memory lane this morning!
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Lori's pad 2009/3/8 12:29
I think I found it.. but not really sure, can you help me better locate it? Yea looks pretty sad.. As I remember from when I was there it was..pretty sad, but I was young and stupid and hey what did I know, It was new wonderful I was "free" in a foreign country and was and did have a living ball. I well remember those overhead pipes, There is a picture of my [ex] wife standing in front of those as we were comming from the pool area there was a palm tree!! Oh I love palm trees. There is a man who has this beautiful place on the beach in NH not far from here. He has potted palms set up on the patio for the summer. I guess he puts them into some greenhouse in the winter. They are about 15 feet tall, need a bucket loader for that. If you asked me, I would not have thought that palm trees would grow in Yokohama, but they did.

Oops....wrong picture number 2009/3/8 16:33
I went back to the website showing the pictures of Negishi Heights. The picture of the diagram of the housing area is actually picture number 12. As far as locating the house we lived in, the house number is 711B -- you would have to be able to recognize it on the satellite picture and knowing the house number wouldn't help.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

American Hero 2009/3/9 03:22
Sam Bird was born in Kansas in 1940, and graduated from the Citadel. He went on active duty with the Army as the commander of an honor guard for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Sam Bird was in charge of the military pallbearers who carried President John F. Kennedy's casket. When you see videos of President Kennedy's funeral, he is the tall, young, ramrod straight first lieutenant barking orders to the casket bearers.

Capt. Sam Bird went to Vietnam and was put in charge of a company of soldiers at a mountain outpost engaging the enemy. He was loved by his troops. On the last day of his tour in Vietnam, January 27, 1967, on his 27th birthday, he was leading a helicopter assault on the enemy when sniper fire ripped through his body and tore away part of his brain.

He was evacuated to the 106th Army General Hospital, Yokohama, Japan, for surgery, and I was one of the corpsmen who took care of him in the Recovery Room. Later he was transferred to a hospital ward, where another corpsman, a friend of mine, was assigned his care. My friend told me that Capt. Bird almost died once, but they were able to revive him, and he was transferred to the States.

The following year, 1968, the 106th received a letter from Capt. Bird, in which in childlike prose he thanked us for taking such good care of him. We were all touched and happy that he survived, but surprised that he was able to write.

Capt. Sam Bird was able to marry, but lived in severe pain for the rest of his life--he died in 1984.

You know, you hear people say a person is a hero, and you wonder if it is really true. You wonder if there is really such a thing as a hero. Then a nurse tells you the story of a young Army officer, and the doctor tells you the same story, but when you see this twisted body lying in a hospital bed you wonder if the stories are true. Then, you get to know the patient; and notice that when you go over to his bed, he would raise up and try to help you do your job. Yes, even in severe pain and with diminished mental capacities he instinctively tried to make your life easier.

Capt. Sam Bird was an American hero.

Wally

hero 2009/3/9 04:44
Wally, thank you for that poignant story. I Looked him up, and there are several accounts of his story on google search. also there was a book written about him called So Prowdly He Served. He is buried in his home state of Kansas.

Story of a hero 2009/3/9 07:24
I wonder if he is related to Larry Bird, formerly of the Boston Celtics? I think Larry Bird now lives somewhere in the midwest, possibly in Kansas. But then maybe this is not an uncommon name.
by steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi and Peter 2009/3/9 08:33
I think Sam Bird came from a prominent Kansas family, but I don't think they are related to Larry Bird. When Sam was a patient his parents came to be with him. I don't remember the father, but I remember the mother, who was a tall, well-tailored attactive woman. It was cold in Yokohama and she wore a fur coat, and I remember some of the nurses trying it on.

There was another head wound in the Recovery Room, a young black man around nineteen years old. His mother sat sweetly out of the way but near him, day in and day out. She seemed to appreciate so much what the medical staff did for her son. I felt so sorry for her. He was sent back to the States and I don't know whether or not he survived.

There was also another parent in the Recovery Room, a father, whose son had gangrene of the legs, and I don't think he survived.

Peter 2009/3/9 09:02
Well, I'll be, I did not know there was a book about Sam Bird. I got my background information on Sam from an internet article by his nephew. What prompted me to post the entry about Sam was that my former roommate at the 106th and I have been talking about him via emails. My roommate was the corpsman who took care of him when he left the Recovery Room.

.Wally 2009/3/9 10:18
Wally, I thought gangrene went out with Penecillin. I thought that went out in WW2 if you'd asked me I would not have thought that "we"would have gangrene patients. There is a photo of Capt Byrd with JFK's coffin with Jackie in the background hope you found it. You guys at the 106th need to get together. I hate to see when history is lost because of non-contact, We should not repete the errors of the WW2 Vets who lost a lot of history, now we have the internet [ which we will own] guess on that. Hey.. have you and Eric got any plans to get together ? You live in the same state, as much as I can figure.

gangrene 2009/3/9 12:50
According to my non-authoritative knowledge - I don't think gangrene is cured with penicillin. It's not a simple bacterial infection - it has something to do with dying tissue caused by lack of blood flow. And I agree that you Missouri gentlemen should reach out and meet each other - just a suggestion.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Hun ? 2009/3/9 22:36
Gentlemen ?.. I wounld't go THAT far !

Travel 2009/3/10 02:14
I can't go anywhere, even short distances, because my 91 year old mother lives with me and I have to care for her. When I do get away for a couple of hours I have to hire someone to stay with her. I did get to go to a party for a couple of hours last Saturday night, put on by a former running buddy of mine and his wife. They were all my age group, and I want to tell you old people really know how to party! We swapped blood pressure medicine, and had some great food--nachos, cocktail wieners, etc. I've still got heartburn, so we should have swapped gas medicine.

Careful 2009/3/10 04:10
I would be a little more careful when you start talking about "old". Its all relative. Speak for yourself gramps. Gramps with cramps.. has a ring to it. By the way, your a good son, not everyone would/could care for their 90 plus mother. Your a nice guy.. I don't care what people say.

Unsolicited advice for Wally 2009/3/11 02:59
You are doing a very very good thing - taking care of your Mom. You are a good and unusual person and you will be rewarded in some way, I'm sure.

Remember, as the caretaker, you need to also take care of yourself - do some stuff you enjoy, get out, take breaks, renew your spirits, and remember that there is an interesting world out there. Your Mom I'm sure if she's able would want that for you.

Are you aware of something called "respite care?" It's often provided by nursing homes, senior residences, social agencies, etc. They provide short term - a few days, a week, 10 days, - of necessary care for an invalid to give the caretaker a break from the tedium and stress of 24 hour care-giving. Perhaps you could look into that.

Then you could come east for a vacation - maybe at Peter's in July if his offer is still open? - with a stop in NYC? Or the Berkshires where we are in summer? I can vouch for Peter and Janet being great people you would no doubt enjoy.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Long time, still out here in Negishi 2009/3/11 10:04
I just wanted to update that I am still living in Negishi housing area. I have had some issues over the last year and lost track of the thread. My memory banks kicked in and google led me back. Hope everyone is doing well. Also for Lori: I never did fin Mrs. Matsudaira though I did make several trips to the Chapel and received email from the currnet Chaplain - I believe he emailed you too? Have a great evening. - Chris in Negishi.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi Chris 2009/3/11 11:23
I remember you from some time ago on the thread here. Hey sailor.. going my way ? Hope all is well with you, things getting a little hairy in the south china sea ? I recall when i lived in Yokohama there was the seizure of the Pueblo. Not a happy time but the community came together remarkably for the familys of the crew. The captain lived within a stones throw from my Japanese apartment. getting held by the North Koreans, not your average vacation if you know what I mean. Well we here have been blabing along while you guys are having all the fun. Hope the old home town is holding up. The Japanese economy seems to have gone stinky-poo along along with everything else. All I can say [am I ever at a loss?] is.. enjoy tour time in Japan, smile and travel, have some gyoza for me.

Yokohama exchange 2009/3/13 11:49
It was torn down in 73 or 74 and was located in the Negishi area of Yokohama, in what is now the Honmoku area.
by Sachiko Cook (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 63 of 233: Posts 1241 - 1260 of 4650
prev
1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 233
next

reply to this thread