Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 7 of 9: Posts 121 - 140 of 180
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
next

Peppy's 2006/9/23 09:59
Oh ya, one more thing. Inter-company communication sucks and it isn't because there are two seperate languages...it's because Head Office doesn't internalize the teachers opinions and observations very quickly. Like a slow moving tiger Peppy's could truely be the best place to work as an English teacher in Japan.
by Gordon rate this post as useful

sick leave 2006/10/28 08:26
no work no pay! and when you're sick you'll be luc if someone can cover you or else you'll be teaching kids with high fever...
by peppyteacher rate this post as useful

PKC: My two yen 2006/11/2 10:41
I worked for PKC for 3 years . When I first joined the support system was great but the company has become obsessed with saving money lately. It's sad that a lot of great support I got when I arrived doesn't exist anymore! (Native English speakers in management/support positions got their jobs eliminated)

Also, I think PKC has one of the lowest standards of hiring..I don't know of any other English school that willingly recruit high school dropouts on working holiday visa (I met a few at my time there). Warning: IF you work for PKC on Working Holiday Visa you are simply CHEAP labour. Makes you wonder ''Why did I go to uni?''

About the 18 year olds managing PHD holders - absolutely true. There's one Native English guy from head office who worked his way up from PS to RPM. (Apparently he's a high school drop out who came to Japan at 18) He's totally uneducated ,really arrogrant and condescending - fancies himself a hot shot in head office. It's kind of pathetic that these type of people can climb the ladder!

Overall, my time with PKC was decent. Not the best company to work for but not the worst either.
by Peppy All Star rate this post as useful

hey gordon 2006/11/12 01:41
wow... you must have been with PKC a long time ago. there are well over 340 native teachers now and sorry, but your video is no longer in use by Nagoya.
by pkc teacher rate this post as useful

to: peppy all star 2006/11/12 01:48
He's totally uneducated, really arrogrant and condescending - fancies himself a hot shot in head office. It's kind of pathetic that these type of people can climb the ladder!

how true... unfortunately i've had the misfortune of meeting this brat. yes, he is EXACTLY as you describe him.
i believe he's been demoted to teacher status until early next year. But that's not what your PS (bs) will tell you unless they are of the type to tell you the truth - a very rare breed.
by peppy girl rate this post as useful

RPM 2006/11/12 08:33
I heard E was heading to Mie to start up his own school with an office lady he's been shacking up with.

If he's been demoted, he'll leave. I don't think his ego can take it...
by Peppy No More rate this post as useful

to: peppy no more 2006/11/13 17:03
in reference to the rpm we're both implying to; yes, i heard confirmed info that he's sticking around as a NT until early (feb) next year. it's most likely a demotion from what i heard.

as for his ego, it's probably not that fragile.
by pepppy girl rate this post as useful

To peppy girl. 2006/11/16 00:15
Not surprised he's been demoted..head office is probably eliminating more management positions for NTs in order to save a few yen.

That guy should never have been able to get to that position in the first place. I find it ironic that someone so uneducated as him could climb the ladder...however it's comforting to know he is just as expendable as any eikaiwa teacher in Japan. (although I'm sure he thinks otherwise).

to Peppy All Star 2006/11/17 14:38
head office is probably eliminating more management positions for NTs in order to save a few yen.
if that was the case then more awful measures in terms of cutting back PSs would have occured first.

That guy should never have been able to get to that position in the first place.
but it happens much more often than anyone wants to admit. there a heaps of PSs (BSs) that have disproportionately inflated egos doing the job.

I find it ironic that someone so uneducated as him could climb the ladder... however it's comforting to know he is just as expendable as any eikaiwa teacher in Japan. (although I'm sure he thinks otherwise).
true, he is uneducated and thinks he's hot stuff. take comfort in knowing that not everyone gets to stay in a PS or RPM role just because they think they deserve it. they've been removing (demoting or firing) the seriously incompetent ones recently.
If you're disgruntled, make it known. It's your right as a teacher.
by peppy girl rate this post as useful

to peppy girl 2006/11/18 00:39
How long have you worked for PKC? When I started there were a lot of native staff in head office..who actually cared. Then one day they were all told their jobs would be elminated. Some of them had worked for PKC for 5 years! So they had already started downsizing to save money likely before you began as an NT (unless you've worked there for more than 2 years).

Also, they've already cut PS positions. There are PSs in some areas managing 10 plus NTs. There used to be two PSs for really busy areas but it was cut down to just one. These PSs work their butts off.

I don't work for PKC anymore. I didn't leave because I was disgruntled. The job is tiring afterawhile and is certainly no career. I had a great time in Japan and I'm actually glad I went with PKC. It could have been so much worse! I stayed with the company for 3 years. However, I'm not sure if I could recommend the company these days..

LOCATION??? 2006/11/18 12:15
Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows where the main office for peppy kids club is and how I would ger there from Nagoya staion. I think I have to take the higashiyama line and get off at Issha. No too sure though. Maybe it would be easier to go from Kanayama??????
by Lesley rate this post as useful

teachers profile 2007/1/18 14:35
hey guys. thought this would be a great place to ask if anyone could send me a copy of their draft for their teachers profile. Ive just accepted a job and starting in March. I have no idea on wht they actually want on a teachers profile but. If anyone could help and send me an idea, it would be appreciated.cheers
by mark rate this post as useful

Hey Mark 2007/1/22 06:41
Mark,
What I placed on mine was basically resume material. If you like I can send you the samples they sent me when I asked the very same question. Drop me a line at insidetheblacklodge@hotmail.com.
Cheers
by Nighthawk rate this post as useful

I still work for Peppy 2007/1/27 13:24
I'm still working for Peppy, though I have resigned already. I'll still be here a few more months but if any of you have questions and want current answers let me know. I do tell you one thing, I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone! Things have changed from what I've heard and now it's ALL about MONEY. They don't care about the students...at least not anymore. Now the company is pushing to have from 10-12 kids in a class...that's not right...believe me! The classrooms are generally small and they don't fit...it's ridiculous! They just want to bring in more students and have more classes and more money. I feel for those of you that are coming to work for Peppy this year! Things are not right!
by Helen rate this post as useful

WOW 2007/11/5 19:27
I have second thoughts about finishing off the application form I have sitting next to me now haha...I knew this would happen if I went online and read PKC ex-staff/current staff's opionions and experience, so far about 70 percent are NEGATIVE in my findings...

But it won't phase me, if I have to act "japanese" I will so to fit in, I'll give this a try. I already have my working holiday visa and have saved up over AUD8,000 for my 12-18 month working holiday in Japan (yes I'm Australian and we get that much so nyah!) I also have a good network of friends and my japanese girlfriend to fall back on should things go sour and I loose my job with PKC...it won't hurt to try I say...gambarimasu!!!

Anyone wh's worked for PKC or is currently with them I'd like to make contact with you for further info if you can give me some - runningwild_in_tokyo.co.jp Please email me :)

P.S. anyone know if they do placements in Kanagawa-ken area? Yokohama? Totsuka? places around there?

by RJ rate this post as useful

oops..machigaetae yo ^_^ 2007/11/5 19:38
sorry folks my typo it should be runningwild_in_tokyo@yahoo.co.jp

haha ^_^ (don't ask about the email address name :p)
by RJ rate this post as useful

Don't listen to all this negative BS 2008/2/3 00:24
OH MY GOD some people Do moan! I worked for Geos for a year and HATED the long hours and stress. I have been working for Peppys for 6 months since then and don't have a problem. With 3 or 4 work hours on average (sometimes 1 and a half), pay as good as any other and regular days off and holidays.. why wouldn't I? If you want to experience japan in a laid- back company this job is for you. Travelling? My maximum is a 40 minute train journey... 2 of my schools are a 5 minute train drive away. Sure, if you are the kind of person who gets caught up in office politics and that kind of mindless shit, you are going to have problems in Peppy's as in any company. The only problem you may find is that you are placed in a fairly isolated place. Solution; make Japanese/ A.L.T or other friends. If you are resourceful and independent you will be fine, if not maybe you should think twice about coming to Japan in the first place. Just bear in mind when you read this that it's only usually people with negative things to say that insist on writing about their company. If you're placed in an area with a good P.S and you wouldn't reccomnd Pepp's than you're going to have big problems when you finally get into the real world of work.
by peppy's teacher rate this post as useful

To Peppy's teacher 2008/3/10 10:37
Only 6 months!? You just wait...the real "fun" will soon begin.
by E.I. rate this post as useful

Don't be so negative about PKC! 2008/3/19 16:10
I loved my time in Japan. Yeah kids are crazy and companies can be tough on you but when it came time to leave I bawled like a baby. I was lucky enough to live in Japan for an unusually long time due to an immigration anomoly...haha lucky me! I made sure while I was there that I made as many varied types of Japanese friends as possible. Hanging out with foreigners or other people you work with is great too; I had some crazy good times with some of the other peppy people near me. But be brave! Definitely get out on your own and explore, there is heaps to do that you will not find the chance to experience again in your home country. Simply because you're foreign most people will want to talk to you, especially if they find to be not only polite but also interested in them. Ask questions, talk about yourself, talk to the salespeople you buy things from, make good with all the people who work in the shops and establishments near you as this makes life easier to get around at first. And after a while some of these people become your friends and suddenly when you're on the beach at a BBQ with 30 other people you just met, or snowboarding down powdered hills with all your new buddies you'll be glad you stepped out of your comfort zone. And sometimes all those acquaintances with friendly faces make a big difference on a homesick day …of which you may have a few. Follow the advice of your company in regard to tickets and fares and general getting around info – they’ve been there longer than you and they do know what the go is. And believe it or not they are actually there to help you. I found the PKC people to be a good bunch overall. Learn the language! Even if it is only simple phrases like compliments about how nice the food is, what you like to drink, or where you like to shop – its all conversation. And most importantly, do buy a really good little digital camera and be like the Japanese: take photos of everything! You’ll appreciate your own photos and trinkets more after you return so keep all you keepsakes safe. Make that classroom your own; kids love people with personality so be larger than life and they will love you. Take the good with the bad while you’re there but only take the good with you when you go. Do stuff you'll love recounting to family and friends! In my time there I survived the climb of Fuji and yes I peed in the toilet on top; learned to speak and write the language; was a singer in a band with four other Japanese girls who became my closest pals; made loads of friends; went snowboarding with pros; ate the most delicious foods; shopped like crazy in Tokyo...working for PKC is definitely not all about the teaching. I loved my students but I worked hard without losing myself to a job.
by Lollie English rate this post as useful

Peppy Kids Contract 2008/4/18 11:49
Hey does anyone know what happens if you want to break contract with Peppy Kids?
by SJ rate this post as useful

Page 7 of 9: Posts 121 - 140 of 180
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
next

reply to this thread