Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 7 of 233: Posts 121 - 140 of 4650
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 233
next

. 2006/11/3 23:30
Eric would it be possible to have these slides scanned into a computer and posted on the internet?
by john rate this post as useful

pix 2006/11/3 23:38
The pictures can be scanned but the slides have lost their color vibrancy. I ran them through the projector about a year ago and many were lost to time. Someone suggested dubbing them onto a CD or having them enhanced in some way. I don't know if it can be done or not...
by Eric Davis rate this post as useful

Another Link to K-S Gardens 2006/11/4 01:55
Eric, here's another link
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3205.html
by Bill N. rate this post as useful

. 2006/11/4 04:00
Oh I don't think the color matters much, as I think many of use are just use to seeing old black and white images lol in old pictures. I think it will be interesting if to see some of the older images.
by john rate this post as useful

Sankien 2006/11/4 04:07
Bill:
Thanks for the link. Sankien was one of my favorite childhood places. I'm not sure the folks who ran the place liked having a little blonde gaijin zipping thru the place, disturbing sweethearts and poking sticks at the goldfish...
I think there was a small charge to enter the park but I can't remember what it was. Couldn't have been very much.
btw, my computer is on a dialup so it was a pain to chase down Sankien down via google. I was able to see the refinery tanks.

K - S Gardens 2006/11/4 04:42
Eric,
CLEARLY, you were given more freedom than I to wander around. I was limited to the immediate neighborhood and the theater and PX. I never rode a street car. I rode the Army bus or was driven to wherever I needed to be. I finally got a bike just before we headed for stateside. Of course, you were there 7 years and I was there less than two years (age 9.5 to 10.5). How old were you (5 to 12)?
My computer is dial-up too. Slowwwwwwwww.
I have a friend who lives near Osage Beach, MO. I think he plans to retire there in a few years. He travels a lot and telecommutes.

run around kid 2006/11/4 05:28
We were in Japan from 1951-1961. That was age 3 thru 13 for me. We were in Sagamihara when my dad worked at Zama, then mom and I came back to the states for a short period. We went back to Japan, then back to the states, then back again, and finally home with mom and dad in 61. I made six MSTS crossings via the Darby, the two Patricks, the Mann and the Randall.
I started walking around with our maid, then by myself, when I was 6 or 7. I had no problem taking the Yokohama street car from one end of town to the other. Our maid, Masako, printed something like "send this kid back to Sannotani," in Japanese on a card that I kept in my wallet and I used it a couple of times when I got hopelessly lost in Motomachi.
When I was 8 or 9, my dad brought home a large 28 " Japanese one speed bike and even though it was too tall for me, it got me away from hoofing it to and from the streetcar stations.
I met several bike-riding friends, was invited in for a bowl of noodles at their homes and never was concerned for my safety. At night, I had a tiny generator that would flip up against my tire and power a headlight. I stayed away from busy streets, though.

Uco 2006/11/4 09:13
I lived in Yokohama from 1959 until 1968, when I graduated from Nile C. Kinnick (Yo-Hi). I went back to Japan to visit several times since, but mostly spent time in Tokyo. Just outside the base, if memory serves me correctly, was a bus stop (kominato?). There were a couple of toy stores-one was called Shinseido, I think-and a pet store with a mynah bird that spoke some words or phrases. Most likely those stores are long gone, but do you know what is in that area now? Also, was is the real name of Avenue "D" and Avenue "A". I think that Avenue "A" ran perpendicular to Ave. "D" and went past Bayside Courts and on to Yamashita Koen, the Hikawa Maru, etc. My memory fades but these things I'll always remember.
by Rick Bernard rate this post as useful

Yokohama memories 2006/11/4 09:35
Uco:

Sorry, my questions should have been addressed to Uco.
Thank you.

... 2006/11/4 14:32
Bill and Eric, thank you for the toy info. Actually, there is a Thai restaurant I go to in Tokyo, and they have these little airplane figures that are apparently made from Coke cans. I suppose they were something like these.

When I was little, shops didn't hand out plastic bags, so my mother would take her basket along and have groceries handed out in old newspaper. Today the only business that uses this system is probably the "yaki-iko-ya-san (pebble-baked sweet potatoes vender)" and all the other shopkeepers use the "American style" plastic bags. Of course due to ecology consciousness, today's people have started to refuse these bags and bring their own to reduce waste. It was like everything was quite ecological but inconvenient when I left Japan in 1969, and when I came back in 1973 everything was American-ly disposable and convenient due to the high growth of economy, and now they're (or hopefully WE are) trying to get it right.

Travelling story tellers and puppeteers no longer exist, sad to say. But a few years ago, I did see a young (in fact, handsome) man in the streets of Vietnam who showed tricks and gave sweets for a few pennies.

The silk industry is practically over, but there is a Silk Center, a museum right in front of Yamashita Park, and some brick buildings related to silk have been preserved here and there.

Fujiya Hotel is a very famous hotel that still is running in Hakone which is a touristical spot that every visitor to Tokyo prefers to drop by. Here is the official website of the hotel.
http://www.fujiyahotel.jp/english/index.html

Interesting how Eric discribes Sankeien gardens, btw. Today it's a major and traditional touristical spot that mainly attracts elderlies, families and foreign visitors. Do you happen to know why you call it K-S Gardens? The term is new to me. I mean, why K-S and not S(an)K(ei)?

And is anyone interested in historical photos of Motomachi?
http://www.motomachi.or.jp/html/amhis/amhis01_e.html

Hi Rick. And sorry, but I am no expert. Just a curious person dropping by :) So I hope that anyone with more info can answer your question in a better way, but from a quick internet check, I notice that Nile C. Kinnick High School was located in Yokosuka. So your father must have been stationed to the Yokosuka Navy Base which is still there.
http://www.cfay.navy.mil/
Here is a Japanese map of the area. The gray part is all U.S. Military Base.

I'm not sure what Avenues A or D represent. Guessing from everyone's posts, it sort of seems that it was a combination of several Japanese roads that were used for military purposes. The current "Route 16" however does pass by Yokosuka Base, and then (not right in front but very close to) Yamashita Park and on to Yokota Air Force Base in Tokyo. But then again, my father said that the street Tsunashima-kaido used to have a lot of U.S. Miltary trucks going back and forth. Anyway here is a map of Yamashita Park area which is still a major touristical spot.
http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?lat=35%2F26%2F23.671&lon=139%2F38%2F15.466&layer=1&sc=3&mode=map&size=l&pointer=off&p=&MR.x=6&MR.y=12

The pink little line in the middle of the bay is Hikawamaru which is always open to the public with the cabin that Charlie Chaplin stayed. Now it has archade games on one part of the deck. Left from the Park is China Town, and the square green at the left edge of the map is Yokohama baseball Stadium. The lower green part of the map is Motomachi and Yamate area where a lot of expats live today. There are a lot of Christian (Japanese) girl's schools around the very lower part of the map.

If anyone can discribe a specific street figure or area on any map, someone like me will be able to read the Japanese name on it. Also, for more and accurate details you can try contacting the municipals or historical museums, but it would be fun to discuss these things casually on this forum!
by Uco rate this post as useful

I did it again 2006/11/4 14:36

photos of Yamashita Park area 2006/11/4 19:10
By the way, this is what you get when you search Yamashita Koen images on yahoo japan. Feel free to click the different pages. Today a Barney's New York branch stands near the Park and the top floor cafe gives as a nice view of the bay.

You know, I should get my brain examined 2006/11/4 19:11

Back to Uco 2006/11/4 21:19
I'm lazy and use K-S Gardens as an abbreviation for the Yokoham gardens I can never remember how to spell whenever I post a message. The school we have all talked about (on Ave D) has been replaced by the giant Mycal shopping center. When I went there is was called Nasugbu Beach and had elementary and high school students. I can't remember how to spell the shopping center name either. Sorry. I think the school closed in that location around 1972 and moved to Yokosuka. At least, that is what I have read in this forum.
Thanks for info about the Fujiya Hotel. I was chased by a peacock there or so I thought at the time. Perhaps it just wanted me to feed it a snack. I was 9 or 10 years old at the time. We also stayed at another hotel higher in the mountains, called the Korah (sounds like "go-rah")and I'm not sure of its spelling either.
This forum has certainly an interesting web site to read. I thank everyone for being patient with me.

Hotel & High School 2006/11/4 23:51
Uco:
Yokohama High School (YO-HI) and Nasugbu Beach Elementary (where Bill and I attended grade school) was in a very large three story building between Area 2 Housing Area and the PX complex. Sorry about these old references but I've been told there are markers showing wheere they were. The YO-HI/Nasugbu building was renamed in about 1959 when the US Navy took over administration of American activities in Yokohama from the US Army. Typical of bureaucracies, all the Army names came down and new Navy names went up. Kinnick was a US Navy hero (and University of Iowa football standout) so the school building was named for him. When the dependents' housing areas were demolished and land returned to the Japanese, the school was no longer needed and so the name was transferred to a school building in Yokosuka. YO-HI has a web page for us "Army Brats" and you can have a closer look at our life and times by visiting this site. Check the 1961 page and look for Miss Nelm's 6th Grade class and you will find my picture.
Regarding the hotel you mentionned, my folks visited this place for a week back in about 1954 and they brought along nice new towels from the PX, but forgot them when we drove back to Sagami. Two years later, when my folks made another visit, the hotel had the towels waiting in their hotel room when they arrived. Regards...

Yokohama tidbits 2006/11/5 02:01
Uco:

It was Yokohama, not Yokosuka, that I was referring to. But I appreciate reading about your insights regarding Yokohama tidbits past and present and I thank you for the websites you referred me to. Yoroshiku.

Honmoku and Gora 2006/11/5 14:17
So I suppose the area Rick was familiar to is now the shopping center Mycal Honmoku. Please refer to my very early post on this thread as of July 2, 2004. Some time in the early 80s, I happened to be strolling down the area and found a deserted American Military Base, gates opened, houses sealed with boards and no one there.

Here is the map of Honmoku area.
http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?lat=35%2F24%2F51.069&lon=139%2F40%2F11.478&layer=1&sc=4&mode=map&size=l&pointer=off&p=%B2%A3%C9%CD%BB%D4%CB%DC%CB%D2&CE.x=501&CE.y=314

The green part at the bottom is Sankeien gardens. The road on the northern side is called Honmoku-dori, and as you can see it curves and passes right by Yamashita Park at the top of the map. The green just above Sankeien is Honmoku Sancho park and the shopping center surrounds Honmoku-dori around that area. With the street in the middle, you can see numbers 5 at the left and 1 at the right which are references of the shopping center buildings.

On the map, the green left of Sankeien is Negishi Shinrin Koen (Negishi forrest park) and then the civil cemetary (I mistakenly mentioned earlier that it belonged to a specific temple, sorry). And then the grey part is the current Military residential area.

Bill, you must have been to Gora (or Gohra/Goura) which is a major spot in Hakone. I'm sure you can find lots of photos of Hakone and Gora on the internet.

Eric, the closest I found was this
http://sky.prohosting.com/hiipakka/
and I can't find your class. Where is it?? (just curious)

find YO HI and Nasugbu Beach 2006/11/6 00:17
Uco:

Go to yohidevils.com.
Then go to "table of contents."
Then "Classes 46-61."
Then "Our School."
Then 'Elememtary school."

American high schools in the US typically have nick names or a school mascot, like sports teams have. YO HI's teams were called the 'Red Devils" or Yo HI Devils.

Hope you have some time to look at the YO Hi site. Several former Yo Hi/Beach expats donated yearbooks to make this small piece of Japanese/American history.
I'm at emdavis@lakeozark.net if you have trouble...
Eric

# 16 on the Yahoo map 2006/11/6 02:16
Uco:

#16 (the road in yellow with red dots) must be the former Avenue D. I don't recognize #357. This must be new.

Based on the number 5 as the location of the old PX complex, I'm sure I can almost pinpoint where our house at #91 Sannotani was located.
Wish the map had an English version...

YoHiDevils web page 2006/11/6 06:59
Eric,
I think in your post to Uco, you meant http://yohidevils.net instead of yohidevils.com

Page 7 of 233: Posts 121 - 140 of 4650
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 233
next

reply to this thread