Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 8 of 10: Posts 141 - 160 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/4/15 04:18
Lived in Kanto Mura 69-73. We were housed in Green Park initially, then to 353-B. The hole in the fence was right there and we used it often. A small allowance for chores when a long way there. Then, moved to 440-A for the rest of our stay, near the back gate. I have fond memories of having the best of times attending High School there. Would definitely go back and relive this experience, given the opportunity. My father was awarded custody of myself and three siblings, taking us to Japan...I suppose to get away from the drama of divorce. We all went kicking and screaming, missing our left-behind friends with no idea what lay ahead. It was the right decision for all of us. Thanks Dad!! I cherish every memory and experience. We all made fast friends. Every community should be set up with so much to do for kids of all ages. And, the schools we great. We weren't confined. We had a student lounge where we could gather and play cards, as well as having study halls with teachers available for help if needed. We were definitely in a time bubble and it was great!! We could change the world providing this environment to kids today. TRULY!!
by Debra Bowen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/4/15 17:53
I lived in kanto mura 62-65 . I was the youngest of 4 brothers.
I remember living off base with a japanese
family, just like the woman who originally started the post.
i dont remember the hole in the fence...but i remember pitching 5yen over the moat and old Kennedy catching it with a basket on the end of a bamboo pole
by Brett Hawkins (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/7/7 00:39
I was the Chapel Manager at Kanto Mura 72-74. I worked with Ch Herbert. Do remember his son who streaked at the Base Theater. Also does anybody know Mary Lou Aguliar.
by Karatsu rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/8/6 21:36
My family lived in Kanto mura from 68-70. I graduated from Chofu in 69, joined the AF, and left in December 69. Absolutely loved our time there!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/8/20 07:15
My family was there 69-73. We live on KM one court yard away from hole in fence. I think it was 321-D. My mom was the stars & stripes newspaper. The carriers, I was a carrier, had to come to our place to get their routes. I played the trumpet at Chofu High while I was still in elementary. I was in stage/marching band. Played for grand opening of new Emporer's grand hotel in '73. Scouts '69-72. Chofu elm. '69-71, Middle school '71-'73. Been all over Japan thru school, scouts, and other events. Great to hear about the "Blast from the past"
by Joe Cesaroni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/8/24 15:41
I lived in Japan from 69-72 and lived on Kanto Mura. I attended 5th-8th grade there. I believe I attended Chofu at some point. My best friend was L'Tanya Faison. I remember a few others, Ralph Little, Debbie Fugere (sp), Kim Shaw, Sandy White, the Shapiro brothers and others. Those were the best years ever! I was a Rainbow girl also. My Dad was in the Air Force. Reading the blog brought back so many wonderful memories! The pool parties, field trips and Menko cards. I have four younger siblings, Laura, Dee and my identical twin brothers Jesse and Jeffrey.
Funny how reading other people's memories can trigger your own.
by Linda S Ward rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/9/16 03:09
Yes, my dad was stationed there; I believe from 1970 through 1972. I went to Chofu Elementary School. I remember the hole in the fence, and the bubble gum smelling erasers, pencil boxes, dried salted squid legs, Kobe Beef, klacker balls, playing build the castle in the court yard, and the ground full of worms after it would rain. I remember my good friends Melissa, which lived in the same court yard and Terri Popp, who was in my 5th grade class. Thanks to all, for the childhood memories.😉
by D.H. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/11/24 16:00
69 to 72. Lived at 492-C for 2 years then moved across the street to 515-A for 2 years. 3rd grade Miss Anderson. 4th Miss Urban, 5th Miss DiBiase. 6th Mrs. Morris. Big slide near the back gate, hole in the fence, smelly gum, awesome 4th of July fireworks, girl scout meetings in quonset huts by the old Chofu airfield, camping at Tama rec area, Saturday afternoons at the movie theater, theme nights at the BX cafeteria, funny colored money - military script, youth club dances, flashlight tag on summer nights, whole courts playing kickball, menko cards and menko rushes (kids would throw shoe boxes full of menko cards out of 2nd story windows). Pillowcases FULL of candy on Halloween, lots of field trips, sneaking off base out the back gate, buying chicken yakitori from an old lady with a tiny grill. WOW memories flooding back!
by Lora Lemons (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/11/30 04:53
69-71? not sure. I was born in 64 so I was only like 5-7 y/o. how do you all remember all those names and addresses?! lol. I remember fondly the hole in the fence, playing menkos, watching ultraman on tv, hiking mt Fuji, playing with the bats that lived in the big tree at one of the corners of our quad, playing hide and seek in the THICKEST fog I can ever remember on the green belt. names escape me but I remember climbing the light poles at night with a bunch of kids. catching the BIGGEST caterpillars I think I've ever seen to this day! guess I better quit, I'm getting all verklempt here reliving those days. oh, we moved to kincheloe afb about 71 or 72, if anyone else did please respond, those were some REAL days there too!
by dan crook (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2016/12/8 13:40
Played football with the bulldogs unbeatable team of 71 anyone else play that year, john j
by John Johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/1/6 12:44
I lived there from 1967 - 1970.

My family enjoyed wide explorations in Japan. To this day I have vivid recollections of the beauty of Mount Fuji, memories of standing before the Great Buddha of Kamakura in awe, attending EXPO 70 in Osaka, hand-feeding gentle deer at Nikko, the view from the heights of Tokyo Tower, being astounded by the diversity of tropical creatures in the Ueno Zoo, my first ride on the gShinkasenh Bullet Train, and fantastic days of swimming at the futuristic gSummerland,h experiencing the thrills of surfing in the enormous automated wave action.
by Carole KeruChan rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/5/16 06:55
Stumbled on this thread - wow! I was there 66-69 (was 13-16 yrs old). The hole in the fence is a good memory - I loved those rice crackers. In fact I am getting ingredients together to try my hand at making my own.

The caves outside of the Japanese air field - probably a dangerous pass time, but we loved to hang out it those caves. Someone mentioned the large slide -- my brother was probably seven years old when he tried that slide and froze... it took a long while to pry him loose from that slide and get him down.

Used to ride the blue bus to the gate and wander off base. It seemed safe - even as a kid I converted a few bucks to Yen and rode the subways all over the place and somehow managed to find my way back.

Oh, and I remember that three inches of snow closed school :-)

Randy
by Randy Houldsworth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/5/29 04:43
I lived in Kanto Mura from 1972-1974 I was friends with Roger Wood and Donald Cecil , Donald is from Arizona and Roger from Scranton PA. Roger and I lived at McGuire AFB after we moved back to States same time. I remember Tony Reed his younger brother was in my grade Chofu Elementary and middle School. Raymond Harris and I also friends both ended up graduating from Kubasaki HS Okinawa 77-78. Barber family lived in our court "Budda" oldest I remember. Steve Glabb parents bowled with my parents.

by Paul Clsrk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/8/8 09:18
My family lived on Kanto Mura from 1967-1970. I went to Santa Maria School for a couple of years, but went to Chofu Elemrntary in 1969-1970. I would love it if anyone has info on Mitsuko Oshima. She would be over 110 today, but if anyone knows where I can pay respect to her resting place, I would love to l ow. She was so dear to my childhood.
by Michele Adsit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/11/10 12:00
My family lived in Kanto Mura, unit 630A from 1970-74. My parents are Glenn and Donna Nelson, my brother and sister are Bret and Kristy. The memories I have are priceless, it was such a wonderful, safe and exotic place to grow up. My sister and I rode at the Sagami Riding Club in Fuchinobe for $1.50 an hour--can you believe that price?? (I even remember the horses: Gray Dawn, Brandy, Rikki, Sagami Ryo Twinkly, Taro and more) As young as we were, we wandered far off the base endlessly on our own with no adult supervision, it was amazing. Families around us on the base were the Crooks (I think I saw Dan Crook on this thread--hi Dan!), the Reinkes, the Ennetts and the Rowells. I was friends with Dorothy Hamilton, Kim Ennett and Karen Knowels--can't think of too many others. Had a little boyfriend named Clayton Garrison--he was such a doll. Anyway, this thread is wonderful, such lovely memories...we all were so fortunate to have lived there! Reading through this thread is like reliving a wonderful dream.
by Valerie Nelson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/11/12 08:03
Hi all ! My family and I lived at Kanto Mura from 1967 - 70 I have all the memories such as the menko store as we called it at the fence. I only new them as momma san and poppa san. We would exchange dollars for yen on base before venturing over. We would buy Menkos and saucer gunsand tons of funky candy and treats. I have vivid memories of playing baseball for the Angels although I dont remember any names. I went to the elementary school and remember a teacher named Miss Kay. I had a couple close friends in our court, as we called it. A couple names i can think of are
Roy Cook his brother Robert Cook , a kid we called Lucky, Eddie Robinson, Curt Freeman, The Fisher Family. I remember taking judo at the rec center and going to the movie theater and of course the PX and the commisary. I also remember the bomb shelters that were over by the baseball fields. Also it seemed as if the Japanese workers were always digging ditches. And last but not least playing menkos. Throwing those things as hard as I could to the ground attempting to flip the other persons menko over and collecting it if i was successful. Dont forget Tapies!
by Michael Hartman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2017/12/7 07:53
Kon'nichiwa-I lived at Kanta Mura near the back gate from June 1964 to June 1966. I have
wonderful memories of exploring Japan, the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo, and my friends,
Susie Perry and Jane Kamaguchi, Hiroko Katsube to remember a few. I enjoyed all the Chofu Viking football games and school activities, ie. trip to Hong Kong with the Historical Society lead by the
Geography teacher. Our family explored much of Japan, climbing Mt. Fuji, staying in Ryokans
on futons and tatami mats, visiting Buddhist temples, exploring Tokyo, and riding English saddle
horseback at the Sagami Riding Club. It was a wonderful experience for the Paige family -all
living in Southern California now, except for David (deceased).
by Barbara Paige Sanders (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2018/9/14 16:23
Yes. My family lived there for 3 years (moving in the summer of 74 to Austin, TX). I have fond memories of Debbie Herbert. We held hands and took many long walks around Kanto Mura. She was my first kiss and my first love. Ed(dy) Hopkins
by Ed Hopkins (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2018/12/22 19:29
I stumbled upon this thread by accident. Hello my name is Joey Romero. I went to Chofu Elementay School from 1968 thru 1970. So many memories. Yes I remember the hole in the fence. As a matter of fact I would help out the owner selling stuff to the kids on base from off base. I am a white kid but spoke fluent Japanese because of my step mom who is a Japanese National. The owner spoke little English and some of the kids had enough money for toys and airplane models which he could not understand so I would help. I lived off base just across from the train station. An area called Tamabochi. He would reward me well for helping. I lacked for little there because I was the only Gaijin for miles off base and lived with a Japanese mom. When I walked pass the food stalls and bakery on my way home the ladies would give me food to take home for dinner all the time for my mom and I. Wow I wish someone had class photos of 1969 or 1970 year. I believe the Principals name was Dr. Turquand. ??
by jauxoui rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2019/1/15 01:28
I lived in kanto mura from70 74 I lived by the theater my neighbor was the reds some one was talking about they were twins in the NFL my moms Japanese NY dad was in airforce 24 years I had been back to Japan twice once as a marine I tried to find kanto mura had a hard time finding I would start with chofu schools good luck.
by Billy jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 8 of 10: Posts 141 - 160 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

reply to this thread