Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 8 of 12: Posts 141 - 160 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

nya 2007/9/22 17:49
Konnichiwa mina,

im new to this thread i would also like to thankyou for creating this thread very much apriechieated, i am also one of those people who want to become a mangaka(i like using the word mangaka)nya!
I would really like to know are there any manga unis in england? how much does a mangaka earn? i wanted to go to japan and do manga too not just becus of that thoh i have always wanted to visit or live there its one of my dreams which i attend to make a reality. I have been drawing since i was a cute little girl around 4-5 (obviously i wasnt that good)but now im intermeidiate at drawing i can say im pretty darn good! anyway thank you agen or this thread
sayonarah!mina! =3 nya
by Catgirl crystlefina a.k.a the CREATOR! rate this post as useful

Nya 2007/10/15 08:08
Do you need to know Japanese to be a mangaka? If not In japan no. Though to me it doesn't feel like a real good manga if it isn't from Japan. It just feels like a american or whatever who was too lazy to learn their language and work hard. And even if you did learn their language being a Mangaka would be difficult because you were not born and raised their so you don't know about the language as much. You would need to get a assistant who know the language pretty darn well(usually someone from Japan). Mangaka's can earn a lot or no money at all. It all depends on who you are published by and how good the story art and all that stuff is.I am 16 and also wanting to be a Mangaka. And plan to start taking Japanese courses once I enter college. Which even if their is not a official manga university near you I would think taking a course in animation or something related to art animation field something like those should be good. From what I read you really don't need to go to a manga univeristy to draw manga. Though after you get published and start your first series it is best to say it might be good.You are not going to just walk into a company and they are going to start publishing your series you are working on now. It wont happen. They are gonna wanna see more mini mangas or four panal mangas which they will usually put in maganzines and those kinda things. If it is good or other things. Then you will get your first series published.
Hope this was helpful and good luck!
~Uguu
by KawaiiGirl1001 rate this post as useful

i'm in japan 2007/10/22 00:56
i'm in japan. i can speak japanese but not good enough to pursue that kind of dream yet.

i'm also wanting to know the answer to this, but i guess the answer will come as soon as i perfect my language skill, since it seems like i'll be here for a while..
by shotamerican rate this post as useful

I have a question too 2007/10/25 05:19
i'm only 13 right now and i've always oved anime and i wanna be a manga-ka but i really dont think i can make it ppl tell me im gewd but i dont know if i am or not i wana plan ahead because i wanna be successful when i get old enough i plan on going to japan but will some really accept an african american manga-ka (very rare breed i think) :o
by momo-chan rate this post as useful

Eh I need advice 2007/10/31 12:58
HEy there,I'm 13 years old and living in America but I'm hispanic lol.I wanted to know if it would be possible for a girl to work in shonen jump in Japan.Also how much does a manga artist get paid,and how I can get into the shonen jump industry.^^
I already speak Japanese and I have a Yu Yu Hakusho/naruto/deathnote style of drawing lol.
So please any tips would really help.Thanks ^.^
by Nobody =.= rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/8 02:15
Hm...since the mangaka pay isnt so high well definetely need another job to support yourself(or a hubby)XD Ide like to know an approximate answer to how much a mangaka earns. Id also love to do shonen jump mangas or do a shonen/shojo comic viollence n romance! X3
by Catgirl crystle rate this post as useful

contests 2007/11/9 22:45
Mamga contests, sending your works in to American publishers. Christy Lijewski is an american manga-ka and she is my hero! I don't know if she knows Japanese. I would love to interveiw an american Manga-ka some time, but the only chances you usually get are at conventions. Ohayocon is a good place to meet american manga-ka. ^_^
by Lost fox rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/10 08:23
The chances of becoming a mangaka in Japan is difficult even for native Japanese people. Unless you speak native level Japanese, the chances of becoming a mangaka in Japan are slim to none.
by Guy rate this post as useful

Go for it!!! 2007/11/29 03:05
okay, if you wanna be a mangaka, go for it! use internet tutorials, books, and other helpful things! All you actually need t get started is a pencil, paper and outline pen, simple, plus there's no such thing as FAKE mangakas! for gods sake, japan stared it, other countries are expanding the idea! get accounts at art sites and see if others enjoy your manga! hope this helps!!
by Keets rate this post as useful

BECOMING ........ MANGA -KA 2007/12/1 10:03
Becoming Manga-Ka is really hard you have to have really good concentration skills and you have to be really creative.I mean I`m not even manga Ka yet and IRock.

PS: If your interested in NINJA COMICS keep your eyes out forTHE PATH OF THE IGA by RO STUDIOS

From your friendly nieghborhood Manga Chick,
OKARI KURANA and HAKURA (i forget)
by OKARI & HAKURA rate this post as useful

Question? 2008/1/2 13:30
This might be a stupid question but I was just wondering if you want to send you manga into a publisher should you have it copywriten first? I love to draw manga's but I don't know much about the competitive world for it, so sorry too all the people that actually know what's going on ^-^;
by naniko-chan rate this post as useful

how to become a mangaka. 2008/1/3 16:49
just practice drawing and know how to make the story
by mat rate this post as useful

thank you artistole 2008/1/3 18:07
ii've heard so many things about manga and non-manga-kas.But your actually Yuu Watase's assistant.wow please tell me how you got there!! thanks
by Dynasia rate this post as useful

Just trust your dream 2008/1/13 16:32
Wow I didn't know so many people wanted to be mangakas. I'm not alone ^_^ I'm only 14 but ever since I was little I was fascinated with art and drew freehand. Manga is my passion and I just want to pursue my dream. I don't know whether or not I'm going to move to Japan to become a mangaka because of family but I think I will.It's going to be a hard road of course so I think it is better if you learn Japanese. I know classes are expensive and that's a problem for me as well. So slowly I am teaching my self little by little. I hope you succeed ^_^. I'm really inspired by so many people pursuing what they really want to do. I wish best of luck to all!
by A determined girl D: rate this post as useful

Some other options to consider... 2008/2/6 01:06
Not other job options, obviously - you asked about being a comic artist. But before you spend your life savings on manga-making tools and company addresses (please don't...that is very reckless), think about this for a while.

It's been previously mentioned that illustrators make next to nothing for fiendish hours. 'Tragic and writer-blocked' just won't cut the mustard in this business. But something I didn't see mentioned - maybe I didn't catch it, or maybe no one said it - is online publishing. That's right, boys and girls, putting your work online.

A lot of people's first reaction is 'Eew, that's lame. Online comics are for people who suck too bad to actually get published.' I whole-heartedly say that's not true at all. I've met some wonderful, talented people who display their work online, and I've always been told the same thing - it's just as rewarding, tons of fun, and a lot less stressful.

Here's some good points to think about.

1. You are your own boss. There is no editor dashing your brains out with your lightbox, no deadlines gnawing on your poor little artist innards, etc.
2. You can still attract a large fanbase. I've been to conventions with my favorite online artists before; they can't go five feet without a fan gushing over their work. And the best part? You have you, and only you to congratulate!
3. Appearances times, places, and dates are decided by you. Most artists pick two or three conventions to visit a year, then sell prints, stickers, and the like of their work. Can you say 'flexible schedule?'
4. Sites like keenspace/comicgenesis offer free forums to go with your comic. You can get immediate fan feedback, warn them about impending absences, and ask for advice.
5. Speaking of impending absences, they won't wreck your entire career. Going to visit granny for a week or two? Post a bonus page (cute oneshot illustration, entertaining four-panel comic, etc.) and put the bad news in a quarter-page panel. Having something fun like that along with the news will give fans an extra reminder of why they love you so much, and they'll wait patiently for your return. I've seen it, i've been though it, and it never, ever fails.
6. Most sites will put a copyright on your work for you while letting you retain ownership of your work. All you have to do is advertise them. It's still up to you to obtain a sales license, though (it's illegal to sell stuff in most places without one).
7. When your work is offered for free, more people read it, which means there's more fans. Never fear - when you sell at conventions, you make money. Just be sure to get a sales license so you don't get clapped in irons (see above point).

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's all good. You still need to be able to draw and tell a story (popular series rip-offs almost always need not apply), and professional-looking work certainly doesn't hurt your chances any. If you've joined up with one of the sites that doesn't offer copyright protection, someone can steal your work and you can't do hey-diddle-diddle about it...never a good thing, especially if it had potential. Also, you can expect harsher criticism online - people tend to be a lot braver when the person they're insulting can't retaliate physically.

Whatever method you choose, have faith, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor! Have a good day and a great tomorrow!
by The Masked Chocobo rate this post as useful

The begining of a MANGA -KA 2008/2/29 06:27
Hey Everyone!
it's been a while since i posted anything but i just wanted to make sure that people like me who want to become MANGA- KA
have a little guidence on the subject. OK then . Just to let you know being a MANGA - KA is no funny bussiness. And those of you that are willing to work for the title of MANGA-KA are more than likely "worthy".
Just like with anything you have to be willing to give something. ya' know. Well anyway keep working at it and never give up.
See ya' around. And make sure to keep looking out for a super cool NINJA MANGA called PATH OF THE IGA produced by KUNOICHI 4 and RO STUDIOS.

BYE! BYE!
by Okari Kurana rate this post as useful

don't be afraid of publishers! 2008/2/29 06:40
Hi
Ok let's get started. Lately i have been thinking about sending some of our ideas into Tokyopop but after i did some research i had a bad feeling about the whole thing and so i am sticking to self-publishing my manga. But the thing is i am pretty sure that it is more likly for someone to buy a manga if it is published by Shounen Jump or something. So the piont is make sure you do research on the publisher before you hand them your totally awesome manga. Because you could end up having you money or your work stolen. so to keep your ideas safe either get your ideas legally copyrighted or self- publish your work. So don't take any chances with this and watch where you step.
Your friendly neighborhood Manga Chick

COPYRIGHTED!!!!!!! 2008/2/29 06:43
....yes, get your work........ ...copyrighted trust me.......

Copyright 2008/2/29 09:54
Okari Kurana,

Just out of interest, how do you "get your work copyrighted"?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

makeing sure 2008/3/1 08:35
so to be sure before you send something in you should copywrite it?^_^;
by Naniko-Natusmi rate this post as useful

Page 8 of 12: Posts 141 - 160 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

reply to this thread