Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 9 of 10: Posts 161 - 180 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2019/5/2 12:03
We lived at Kanto Mura from about 68-72ish. I was in first grade from 70 to 71. I remember my first grade teacher was Mrs. Blue. She told me it was okay to use my left hand. I was trying to write with my right hand like evertine else. She is one of my teachers who made a huge impact.

I remember the menko cards, models, candy, and erasers from the hole in the fence. I don't remember our house number, but one of the families was the Blevins.
by James Hancock (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2019/5/11 03:16
I lived there from 1970 - 1974. I lived across the street from the library, close to the swimming pool, close to a church and movie theatre, etc.. My parents worked at the skating rink. I loved the hole in the fence and everything about my life there. Would go back in a heartbeat if I could. And, to one member, who years ago, was trying to find a family - no the fact that you were blonde doesn't make you unique. I don't mean this to be insulting but I know that myself and two sisters were all blonde. Yes, we did spend a lot of our time with Japanese families that welcomed us. They taught me how they bathed, loved life and nature. Memories!
by Merri Love (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2019/8/31 06:46
Such a wonderful site to stumble upon! I lived in that area from '72-'75. Everyone has brought back fantastic memories! I did not live on the base but was allowed to visit to attend church and sing in the kids choir. I attended ASIJ and remember the hole in the fence where the base kids called out to papa san. I remember feeling bad for the kids behind the fence who seemed to lack the freedom I enjoyed. Oh to have a time machine and relive some of those wonderful days in Japan. So much freedom for a young person! We rode the "bochi bullet" and had a blast. Ah the smelly erasures! The candy, the street food, hunting for kabutomushi, such memories!
by Darla Taylor (Mosher) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2019/12/18 15:00
We lived there from 1970-1973 too. My dad was a tech sgt in the AF. My sisters, Christine and Lucinda, and I lived across from the "yen store" where we bought our candy. I loved living on the base. We went to the movie theater all the time. Some of the names I remember from school and from our neighborhood, although the spelling could be off: Wendy Sumner, Debbie Troatman, Sandra Hightchew, Mrs.Benson, Mr. & Mrs. Helmintoler, Mrs. Suyama, Dean Mullikin, the Julander family, the Schroder family, Renee & Billy Reece, Kathy Miya, Haru Maxwell.
by Nancy Uphoff Lamb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2020/3/3 11:26
Hi, I was 10 when we moved into 449D, it was me bobby unger and my two brothers randy and johnny and my sister pam. If anyone remembers us I would love to hear from you.
by robert unger (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2020/4/22 12:51
Lived at Kanto Mura and attended Chofu High School from 1970 to 1972 (10th and 11th grade). We lived behind the church, adjacent to the movie theater. Wrestled and ran cross-country. Friends with Mitch Pineau, Bruce Peterson. George Hollingsworth, and Joe Reynes. Took Biology from Mr. Mageau and English from Dr. Anastasis. Went to see "Woodstock" in Shinjuku for a Social Studies field trip. Saw Led Zeppelin live at the Budokan in September 1971. Graduated after 11th grade because I didn't want to change schools in my senior year - no school would ever measure up. I was right. We ended up at Mather AFB in Sacramento, where I went to college. The rest is just boring! Was sad to hear when they tore down Chofu. Now a stadium sits on the site.
by Bill Sexton (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2020/6/3 13:23
I just randomly can across this post. I lived in KM from aprox 1968-1972. My dad was in the USAF Band and was stationed at Fuchu. So many fond memories. Yes, I totally remember the hole in the fence and getting candy. I had Mr. Sullivan for my 6th grade teacher at Chofu Elementary School. I have a lot of slides and wonderful pictures that my dad took. He was a very talented man. I saw someone mention Lisa Gaga. That name sounds so familiar. I know this original post is old and I do hope someone reads my response.
by Lynne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2020/8/6 03:36
We lived in Kanto mura 67-68 before we transferred to Clark ab.
I remember one teacher, Mrs. Barnett. A couple of classmates were Larry Brooks and Beverly broshears. I played Santa Claus in the Dec 67 class Christmas presentation. I remember going to the theater when they were playing
Fistful of dollars.
by Lance Seevers (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/1/11 12:43
I was there in 68 to 72. My dad was part of the Military Police or Security Police at Kanto and Fuchu. I was just thinking of that hole in the fence. I was always there after school to buy a model kit and candy. I missed those days there. Unless you lived there you would never understand the "hole in the fence."
by John T Markley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/5/1 21:12
I was a teacher (1st and 2nd grades) at the elementary school from 1968-1974. I wasn’t married then so my last name was Mulloy.
by Mary Andrews (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/5/27 01:27
Mary Andrews, I had Ms. Ann Mayhew’s for first grade in 1968-69. We moved to Florida in December ‘69, half way through my second grade. I think I had a Ms. Hemphill that year, could that be correct? FYI… there is a Chofu alumni website that includes the elementary school, chofu.org as well as a Facebook group-page named Chofu Rules!; I believe you would be accepted into both groups. Also, I’m pretty sure I’ve read words of admiration of you, Miss Mulloy, in some of the comments on posts!!!
by Joe Blackburn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/5/29 08:08
Japamer Heights

Kanto Mura

335-A

I remember:

Brenda Meyerhoffer
Lisa Mccoy
Debbie Pearsall

by Danny B. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Livered there 65 to 68 2021/7/14 02:43
My dad was station at Fuchu AB. We used to take the train to Tokyo and go to the old Sanno Hotel for different occasions. I had Mrs. Death in 3rd grade (I think) @Chofu Elementary. Every summer I took Red Cross swinging lessons at Fuchu. I remember the orange gum, my favorite, that when you unwrapped it if you had a red dot you got a free piece from Mama-san. Still got my mentor in the attic, some unopened. I remember the youth center and the bazaarthere. My mom took Japanese Culture classes there (flower arranging etc). Oh, abd getting yelled at by rhe theater manager for climbing up back of the curved wall in front of the place and then going infor the matinee on Saturdays. And standing for the Anthem before the movie. Bantam league bowling at Fuchu and standing lines at cafeteria to get a soft serve cone when they got the first ice cream maker. The more I put down here, the more I remember so I'll stop now. Glad to have found this thread. It's fun. Thanks. Oh yea my two older sisters are Debbie and Denise who went to Chofu High and Middle

by Scott Warner (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/10/26 16:33
I live there for 4 years from 69-73 until I was 8 yrs old. Big 2 story multi-plexes. Use to go to the fence and yell papa san to the store keeper across the street and he would take our money and bring candy and hand it through the fence. Our adopted Japanese family was the Katayama's. Stay in touch with them until my father died in 2000.
by Carl Webster (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2021/12/5 09:49
My father was stationed at Tacihi and we lived on Kanto Mura 1969-1971. I went to Chofu elementary. I remember Mr Abe and Miss Barrarity as a teacher. I remember the theater the teen club and the pool. Who remembers the suicide drinks ( cherry and coke syrup over ice) and fry’s at the teen club? I was in the little league baseball for the KM Giants. Went many times to Tama retreat. Climbed Mt Fuji for the sunrise. How about the bus ride to Fuchu going to the dental clinic. The meco store with the hole in the wire. Collecting the Mecos cards and making tapes to flip other cards over. Script military pay and the 28 cent a gallon gasoline. I use to mow lawns around out complex.
sure miss the simplicity of those days.
by Bill Sumner (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2022/2/20 14:57
We lived in Kanto Mura 1970 -1974. I was 14 years old when we left. My older sisters are Cynthia and Franny. We were one of the last families to leave before they closed. I went by the name Gobi back then.
I remember Robert Pittman, Beverly Leverett, Brenda Miller, Clara Hazelton, Patty ?, Joyce ?, and I dated Bobbie Brinsfield…Oh and there were the blonde twin sisters….. Can’t remember any more names, but I remember what a fantastic experience it was! Some of the best years of my life!
I lived right next to the hole in the fence for a little over a year… then we moved right behind the church close to the theater. I remember the skating rink and eating at the BX. I use to catch the train to shinjiku, kichijoji (spelling?) and ride the bus to various bases without parent supervision. I
I wish I could take my kids and grandkids to see the Kanto Mura that I remember.
by Gloria Nunier (Gobi Pevehouse) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2022/5/3 02:08
I lived on Kanto Mura Housing Annex from 1968 till 1972. My father was stationed at Fuchu. I played football and ran track and there were actually a few guys that made it to the pros and that have Super Bowl Rings! Tony Reed and Dan Audick. Dan played for the San Francisco 49ers and was a superstar. Tony played for several teams and was quite the playe as well. I also sang in a band called The Soul Searchers with my brother Larry Powell and another band called The Brotherhood with The Finchers. Great times back in the day.
by Phil Powell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2022/5/5 10:53
We lived on Kanto Mura early 70's... Lived at 133-B.. friends with Duke McGinnis, Sam and Stacy Houston, The Stauffers, Dave Dryden to name a few... Would love to reconnect with old friends... I think my Dad (SP) was the one that patched the 'Hole in the fence'...lol
Cliff Wilson Jr.
clifsss7t@sbcglobal.net
by Cliff Wilson Jr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2022/5/6 04:42
My dad was an ewo on the b52s. We lived there from 69 to 72. I don’t remember which quad we lived in but I found an old diagram and figured out where we were. Right across the street from the what I remember as the green belt. I got menkos, candy(best ever! Could even eat the wrap on some!)and monster models I would build, all through the hole!!! I was only 5-7 years old but I remember how absolutely beautiful it was. Playing hide n seek in the thick fog, tacking judo classes, riding on the grocery delivery trike/truck!!! Sooo many wonderful memories!!! I sooo wish I could go back with my family. Love to all who were lucky enough to experience that place and time!!!
by Daniel Crook (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone live in/near Kanto Mura 1970-73? 2022/5/13 09:56
In 1969 my father was in the Air Force. I think Johnson Air Force base. We lived behind Ishikawa and still have some 35 mm of the base and friends like Julie Weston. Tommy Towson and Paul Swiss. I often wonder what happened to them.
by Nicole vigil (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 9 of 10: Posts 161 - 180 of 189
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
next

reply to this thread