Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 9 of 12: Posts 161 - 180 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

How to get your work COPYRIGHTED! 2008/3/13 09:14
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Anyway
1) You could do the old mail trick. Which is where you write the name of your Manga/Anime really big on an envalope and mail it to yourself ,then the post company will stamp int . So technically your work would be copyrighted.
OORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
#2) [this is the OFFITIAL WAY TO DO IT!]
Make sure your work is a literary work. Literary works may be published or unpublished and include nondramatic textual works with or without illustrations. Computer programs and databases also are considered literary works
Send email requesting the correct Copyright Form to the Library of Congress. The form will be available to you for printing it out on your own printer
Fill out application Form TX or Short Form TX (choose which form to use).
Make out a check for $45.00 payment to "Register of Copyrights" for the material to be registered.
Make sure you sign the check and forms.
Send the book with the completed form and $45 payment made out to "Register of Copyrights" to:

Library of Congress
Copyright Office
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington D.C. 20559-6000
Your registration becomes effective on the day that the Copyright Office receives your application, payment, and copy(ies) in acceptable form. If your submission is in order, you will receive a certificate of registration in 4 to 5 months.
!!!!THIS WAS TAKEN FROM WIKIHOW .Com!!!!!
So yea I guess that's it .Good luck on your copyrighting! Wish me luck on my publishing!!!REMEMBER PATH OF THE IGA by KUNOICHI 4 and RO STUDIOS !!

From your friendly nieborhood manga advice giver!
by Okari rate this post as useful

thank you Okari 2008/3/25 07:35
does that really work for copywrites so you can send it in savely O.O

also if you wanted to send it in somewere would you have to send it in the same envilope with the copywrite thing one it?
thank you
by Naniko-chan rate this post as useful

questions 2008/3/28 09:47
Hi there. I just wanted to ask, if its possible to send your manga works to a newspaper publisher, or the like, so your printouts in newspapers may draw some attention by viewers. I live in Australia, and thinking of doing that, although still not sure if it'll work. Someone please give me some opinions.
by Loneranger rate this post as useful

Let's see 2008/3/30 01:37
WEll it depends what kind of newspaper it is and what kind of "Cartoons/Comicx" they're looking for... Oh yea and if you send in your work it doesn'y ave o be in the same envalope just send the envalope in with it. But it would probably be safer to do it the official way...

PATH OF THE IGA!

TAH!
by Okari Kurana rate this post as useful

A statement 2008/4/3 00:41
Back to the original question; there are plenty of people being published today in many different countires. Mainly, what you should be working towards when trying to be a graphic novelist/manga-ka is a crew and a story board. Without a working plot, no one will publish you. That being said, I hope you find your bliss in life.
by ReikaixKaizukuo rate this post as useful

... 2008/4/16 07:18
i want to become a mang-ka sooo bad!it's my dream,and (laugh) im making manga right now!! i dont know EVERYTHING about becoming a manga-ka, but go to http://www.angelfire.com/geek/tetrisnomiko/mangaka/becomeman...
its just some facts about it....i dunno if it will help or not
by kagome-chan rate this post as useful

Weirdness 2008/4/16 07:42
hello,again!!! im making manga right now,called ''Demon Ninja'',but im not pro at it (maybe the faintest speck) and my art is between naruto/merupuri/furuba i guess.....and i really need help with my art..... maybe i should ask my sister to help me out....anyways,the step to making good manga is a lot of practice! and hardwork! and,there are like,manga schools (but they are in Japan....) and things to help you draw stuff at anime cons and they usually have these kinda things in like,university. i dunno,but i read about something like that.....cant rember where. if you wanna see my sucky art, go to http://www.animegalleries.net/album/16534
yeah.... you can buy books teachin you how draw manga too

by airi-chan rate this post as useful

Advice from a senpai: 2008/5/12 07:01
Hihi young artist, I am TPanda age 24 from New York City.

#1 Persistence

Panda enjoyed drawing manga from early age and always draw throughout years. There were years in which Panda drew very very little, but Panda observe art and continue to draw... Persistence. Once your pencil hits the paper again, your dream breathe another breath and take another step.

#2 Fate or Choice

Life is random, but tends to go in the direction that we roll the dice. Panda does not aspire to be mangaka... but has the love to be in Japanland. In college Panda study 1 year in Waseda University (Tokyo) and become fluent in Japanese (in addition to Chinese).
Panda will now attend Waseda Business School starting in September. Planning to intern as equity trader for foreign investment bank in Tokyo.
Panda intends to do formal manga study on weekends at manga school.

It is a good and safe direction to take should Panda ever plan to publish manga.

#3 Too many skilled artists!
- Intro to marketing

There are the complex art like Gantz, and less complex like Dragonball, Pokemon... and very simple like Chibi Maruko chan and comedy mangas.
Often times, it is not how high skilled artist is... but how marketable the manga is.
i.e. Game, cards,toys, accessory, CHARISMA OF THE MANGA CHARACTERS!!!!!
Even something as simple as Hello Kitty is successful beyond imagination. Panda is sure that many readers can draw much better than a Hello Kitty... but why is it a success?

#4 Connections

We prefer to trust someone that we know over a random person in the street.
It can be quite important to recieve good recommendation from the inner and outer circle of manga industry... ie. son of worker in publishing office, friend of friends inside the industry.

#5 Self cultivation

Most important of all is cultivating one self. Be a good person, be likable and be yourself.
The essence of your art comes from deep within you. You will find your essence as you draw more and learn more about yourself as you mature.
Manga takes so many genre and so many faces... each one reflects true of emotion and thought from the mangaka.

There is no end to self cultivation. Manga has no end and no goal. It must keep flowing from your pencil as you live. Once you find "the true you" it maybe time that the industry finds YOU.

-TPanda
by TPanda rate this post as useful

good way to go 2008/5/15 00:18
hello, i live in portugal, thught i'm not a mangaka i wish someday i'll become one. one thing you should pay attention in manga is the charisma of the characters you create such as your stories quality. i've been writting and working my character design for a long time and now i honestly can come up with great manga. you CAN copy other characters or stories, and you haave to be an universal artist, differebt persons have different personalities, so in order to do a good talkin' scene you'll have to become the character tha't speaking, and fell the same feelings he's feeling. talkin' about design, you should spend some time makin' character comcept art! go for me, it works! if after a few months of work ou haven't come up with anything, well...that's bad. hope these hints help yall in you art. still i would like to know if there's any companie in europe that's interested in posting manga. i would really aprecciate any help!!!
by ric rate this post as useful

missin' word 2008/5/15 00:21
sorry for the trouble but i missed one word on my message- you CAN never copy other characters! you must create your own
by ric rate this post as useful

Manga-teaching stuff? 2008/6/14 13:12
Can you please tell me where I might find manga teaching books, coarses and stuff? I want to be a shojo manga-ka for my career, because I love to draw and fantasize and make up stories! can anyone help me?
thanks,
Kayla ^-^
P.S. sorry i posted an ''answer'' i don't another way to post on here. heh heh...
by Kayla rate this post as useful

nothing 2008/6/19 07:22
natural talent is the key to everything a cartoonist that learns from books or teachers never has a original drawing or story learning everying by yourself, originallity and difference brings you to the top.
by mystery rate this post as useful

5 simple Rules To being A Good Manga-ka! 2008/6/20 09:20
I'm no Manga-ka myself, but it's been my dream since 2nd grade, i'm 15 now, to be an anime artist or a manga-ka. So, if i'm gunna be one of the very few American ones i guess i could help out with the pointers i already sumed up.
I'm pretty sure most would have to agree with me butin order to be a manga-ka:

1) you need to be able to be alone for long periods of time, even going with out having a social life.

2) you'll have to cut back on trying to make your manga be completely randomly senseless (ie bobobo) and actually give it a story line (ie Wolf's rain) That's not saying it can't be funny, but you'd have to be able to make the humor envelope your story line (ie naruto)

3) you need to make you character's creative but RELATABLE. From what i've figured, most people only like to read manga as long as there is at least one character they can relate to.

4) you shouldn't limit yourself to one set of morals and values. It's essential to have friends who come from different races, religions and backgrounds so you can get a feel of what it's like to be them. For example you maybe a firm believer in what ever you believe, but try and take the view from someone else, maybe a homeless guy or something just take you're friend's thought values and even random people's values and ect and create a nice composition for a character.

5) you should actually try and play a game of Non-toxic Prejudgement. I play this game alot when i go to New York and big cities, but when i see a person who happens to catch my attention, i don't know maybe a guy who's short and pudgy with a billy goat beard that dangles a few inches before his waist and a rafasti hat that's been bleached to over kill who also has a little pidgeon following him, i take and give him another name a back ground story and give him fears and wants. Then After that, i jot down some things i would never see a person like him doing or thinking or talking like.
Example:
Lil' old Rafasti man may look dirty with his belly button sticking out, full of lint but at one time, he was an opra singer that travled the world. Him and his lol pet, Crescendo, the world's only singing carrier pidgeon that's still alive after world war 2 would sing songs of love with him as he would fly through the auidience with wings crammed with sparkles. Lil rafasti man fell in love with a precoucious woman in her 30's at 21 and the devil raped him of his money, good name, and home. Now, broke as a joke, he changed his name to Aiebie Broke. Now, he lives in modern day Ny sith him and Crescendo, singing to the crowds of tourist.

-noteL i don't use any of my stories of my prejudments against actually getting to know th person.

I hope this helps out a little!
by Ari <#3 rate this post as useful

Wow! 2008/7/1 21:33
Your #5 was simply amazing. xD
I'm going to have to try that.
by Kurezi rate this post as useful

send it in 2008/7/19 09:32
All you have to do to become a mangaka is make about a chapters wroth of a manga story of your own drown, edited, with words and all then send that small piece of your manga to a manga company, shonen Jump or tokyopop, trust me every manga company has a building in America, just figure out where it is, make sure you have a copyright on your first, and send it to there address explain what there looking at and how the story will go on but don't tell them to much about whats going to happen later on in the story
by jay rate this post as useful

Hard but not impossible... 2008/7/19 13:43
I can't believe how many want to be mangakas. And yeah I would also like to become a mangaka one day. But a little lesson that I learned is that life may sometimes hit you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get your hoped down or anything :). But one of us might be luck to even work for Nickelodeon. And sometimes not everything turns out like planned ( I wish it wasn't true, but that's the way it is). I'm not preaching or anything, I'm 16 too. But in reality, you have more chances in being in medical school than seeing your name in the Shonen Jump magazine.

By the way who's going to San Diego?
by Jose rate this post as useful

questions 2008/7/19 16:49
Kayla,
to ask a question on this forum you have to go to the first page of this forum, the page with a list of questions on various topics--each topic, like TRAVEL/ LIVING/ FOOD-- outlined on a blue strip. right above there is a small window and,next to it, search.
Right ABOVE ALL THAT there is "If you have a Japan related question or know the answer to
a question listed in this forum, please post it. Thank you!" click on post it to open a special page on which to ask your question.
by the way please work on your spelling!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

should i have worked faster 2008/8/9 02:19
Hello! I am new to this site, and i really liked the responses! Some are encouraging, and others seemingly blunt yet truthful.Great site!

I am 16, and i have realized that i've wanted to become a manga artist.I've taken this pretty much uneventful summer to learn to draw better(like hands and musles of the neck, can't draw those at all)and to study Japanese, which in a short time i've become very good at, the linguistics. (Like when i watch my favorite animes Ouran host club and Elfen Lied, i could understand actually understand alot through understanding humble and respectful forms and looking up words/phrases in my dictionaries,etc.).
I realized this dream recently, even though it was probably evident last summer. Bored to death, i drew a 60 page comic of a story i really wanted to write. It took a REALLY long time- around 3 to 5 hours for a complete page because i actually laid it out like a real manga! Maybe it was due to my inablility to sketch(i'm serious, i cannot sketch, i always draw too hard, and had to take time using a big green eraser to erase dark lines), but i drew a page a day.I studied mangas i had to draw the panels correctly and drew them using a ruler, and divided the pages like a manga.I continued earlier this year.

All that, and that wasn't even with the tracing overs or pen or inking and tones that the pros do, so if that experience wasn't a slap in the face of how time consumming manga is to draw, i don't know what is!!

But the experience was fun and not at all discouraging to my career choice, and even as i look back today at the comic, it still looks pretty good even with my greater understanding of fundamentals of art(like perspective and anatomy).

But can someone answere my subject question- did i take too long for one page? And comments on my experience would be nice, too!:]
by gammie rate this post as useful

Are you sure? 2008/8/16 08:54
Are you sure that this is what you really want? You should ask yourself what exactly you like about the idea being manga-ka. Well, itLs not like I canLt understand you and all the others that you have this nice dream, but the reality can be a little different.
ILm quite a big fan of manga and I canLt say that I havenLt think about it too (although I canLt imagine how would it be possible to want something like that in my country since I canLt even buy any good manga here and the only well known anime which once aired in tv is Pokemon), but my story is different. I draw with a style which apparently looks similar to manga, although itLs not really the same. But people around me see it as manga and they really donLt like manga and think of it very lowly and I canLt stand them badmouthing my work. So ILve tried to stop this like-manga style, but because I spend almost whole last year by watching anime and reading manga, it stick to my brain and before my eyes and now I have problems.
I am trying to say that just the fact that many people in art donLt like the manga (and believe me, artists can be very cruel and snobish and very arogant and selfish and egoistic and you need to be prepared!) and will let you know very clearly and it will hurt... the rejection is much worse than youLd have thought...well I say it for the case that you havenLt experienced it yet.
Then there s the story part. Since I wanted to become a writer when I was about 13 and since I sort of have writing in family, I write lot, just never make it to the end. So I have to say that to write a good story is very hard even when itLs just for once... but as manga-ka you should be as neverending source of stories. Then again making the story into comics is another step (hey, ILm making comics, just for practising, fun and because I just canLt help myself-and even if I have stories, since I donLt know the details yet, it tooks me even two weeks before I can think of something) and if this story is something what you cherish inside of your mind, it can be even worse, because the rejection hurts even more and even if you have a succes, your fans can sometimes become annoying.
The last point is about possibilities... whenever you decide to do something where only few manage to catch up, it will always be hard. I know very well, since I somehow manage to get in the school ILve never imagine I would be able to and since itLs the place where only few can really stay and prove something (and I know ILll get kick out very soon, since I am way too lazy).
If you want to make manga and youLre not Japanese, your way will be very hard but not impossible. Of course you may not achieve the name of manga-ka since you probably donLt make it to Japan. But manga is a style (well, even if itLs more then just a style, usuall person see just this style difference) so you need to find a way to get between people who do comics or graphic novels or something. And there seek the connections: since connections are really the easiest way. And for this even to step in a comics shop and ask about it is a beginning. And maybe throught the way you find something else and better for yourself. You donLt have to give up if thatLs what you really want... but it you really want it, that is. Whatever your way will be I wish you good luck.
by Cheshire-cat rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/19 00:53
Man, this "debate" is really long... and i couldn't wait to make a contribution!
I have got as far as sending my debut story to a Japanese manga publisher... and my journey to becoming a mangaka (or at least trying) has been ridiculously difficult. I started drawing manga when i was 14, that's about 6 years ago. I am currently studying Japanese language at university in order to be able to write manga, as i figured i would not get much success in England (i know that my passion for drawing manga should be enough, and trying to become a mangaka in Japan is probably a bit sincere since it is very much about the success and money now...). It is literally impossible for me to become an assistant in Japan (its complicated...) and i have realised i probably will never make it here... but i have even less chance of making any success in the UK. So my advice to any aspiring mangakas looking to go to Japan is that you should still try and not give up hope. BUT, you really do need to learn the language well. My Japanese is good, but it will never be perfect and i will have to get any work i do proof-read and have lots of changes,,, and its frustrating not being able to write in english...
Also... practice your drawing!!! Unless you have the most amazing story-telling talent... your artwork needs to be better than average in order to stand out from the other hundreds of Japanese wannabe-mangakas. Always remember that you have loads of competition.. not just from people in the US or UK, but the Japanese (obviosuly).
My advice is to use this competition as an incentive to try harder rather than depress yourself. I also used my jealousy of others to push myself and of course your passion for manga (how cheesy). Oh yes! and you will have to move to Japan... the whole thing with the work visas has changed so its pretty much impossible to become an assistant because of that... You can't just turn up in Japan and expect to become a mangaka... you will need a job in order to survive until you make it as one.... or not. So make sure you have a back-up plan!!!! I know of some other foreign mangakas trying to make it in Japan... and it is so difficult. But don't give up! You can make it work!!!
by sara rate this post as useful

Page 9 of 12: Posts 161 - 180 of 223
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
next

reply to this thread