Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya Takayama Alpine route Itinerary 2013/2/18 19:06
Hi, I am planning for a trip to Nagoya, Takayama, Tateyama and need help with the itinerary. Tentative details as follows, please advice if it's feasible.

19Apr: Arrive Nagoya night time - Overnight in Nagoya
20Apr: Nagoya City tour - Nagoya Castle - Nagoya overnight
21Apr: Nagoya - Matsumoto - Nagoya overnight
22Apr: Nagoya - Takayama - Toyama overnight
23Apr: Toyama - Shirakawago - Toyama Overnight
24Apr: Toyama - Kurobe Gorge - Toyama Overnight
25/26Apr: Toyama - Tateyama 2 nights stay
27Apr: Tateyama - Toyama - Kanazawa - Toyama Overnight
28Apr: Toyama Airport

Really appreciate any kind advice.
by Han (guest)  

Re: Nagoya Takayama Alpine route Itinerary 2013/2/19 08:31
In the night from the 22nd to the 23rd you should overnight in Takayama, because it is much easier to travel from Takayama to Shirakawago than from Toyama.

During winter, I believe that a single, full day along the Tateyama Alpen Route is enough (because the snow does not allow for many activities along the route, such as hiking). Slow travelers may want to consider one overnight stay, though.

I personally would re-arrange the order as follows to reduce transportation time and costs, while keeping luggage handling and crowds in mind:

19Apr: Nagoya
20Apr: Nagoya
21Apr: Nagoya - (direct train) - Matsumoto - (direct bus) - Takayama (note that Matsumoto Station has coin lockers)
22Apr: Takayama
23Apr: Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa (note that Shirakawago has convenient coin lockers for luggage)
24Apr: Kanazawa - (in the evening) - Toyama
25Apr: Toyama - Tateyama Kurobe Alpen Route - Toyama
26Apr: Toyama - Kurobe Gorge - Toyama (note that the Kurobe Railway does not operate along the entire length yet)
27Apr:
28Apr: Toyama Airport

As you can see, I am left with an additional day. You could either use it to spend two days along the Alpen Route. Or you could see something additionally. For example, note that he Tonami Tulip Fair near Toyama starts on April 23, in case you like flowers:
http://www.tulipfair.or.jp/fair2012/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya Takayama Alpine route Itinerary 2013/3/1 13:16
Dear Uji,

Thank you for your kind advice. May you also advice on the kind of train pass I should purchase? As A will be travelling with big luggages, will this route be very inconvenient?

Thank you very much :)
by Han (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread