Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Keihan train and bus 2013/2/20 02:03
Hello all.
I plan to visit Kyoto in April. Please suggest me the fastest way to Kiyomizudera. Is it the Keihan train? If so how can I know which train stop at Kiyomizu-Gojo station? I will start from Kyoto station or maybe the Tofukuji station.
From Google map I recognised that there are some red colour bus stops in the direction back from the temple to Kiyomizu-Gojo station. Please guide me the bus number. Because after this temple I would like to take Keihan train to Demachiyanagi to Ginkakuji temple.
Thank you in advance for every answer.
by Thaimama (guest)  

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/20 09:48
Please suggest me the fastest way to Kiyomizudera.

By taxi is the fastest way. Next best is to take the Kyoto City bus to Gojo-zaka bus stop. Access by train is not convenient:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3901.html#jump_access

after this temple I would like to take Keihan train to Demachiyanagi to Ginkakuji temple.

You should walk down to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station which takes about 20 minutes (there is no bus) and catch the Keihan train. Ginkakuji is again quite a distance from Demachi-Yanagi Station and you may want to take a bus (number 17, 102 or 203). By that time, it is probably easier to simply take the direct bus number 100 between Kiyomizudera and Ginkakuji unless it is a busy day on which buses are unacceptably crowded or stuck in traffic.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/21 01:01
Thank you Uji.
Which day is busy? Weekday or weekend?
I guess that some streets are more busy than the other. May I have the names of the busy streets? I will be there on April 12 and 15. Beyond the suitable Cherry blossom period?
Thanks.
by Thaimama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/21 07:55
Which day is busy?

Weekends, national holidays and popular travel periods, such as cherry blossom and autumn color seasons, Golden Week, etc.

Weekday or weekend?

Weekends are busier than weekdays.

I guess that some streets are more busy than the other. May I have the names of the busy streets?

The streets in the city center, especially between Sanjo and Hachijo. The buses between Kyoto Station and Kiyomizudera tend to be particularly busy.

I will be there on April 12 and 15.

I think it will be pretty busy. I recommend to avoid buses whenever there is a practical alternative.

Beyond the suitable Cherry blossom period?

It is difficult to predict. According to the current forecasts it seems you may be visiting towards the end of the season. But I get the feeling that there will still be some blossoms left, such as in places like the garden of Heian Shrine where there are a lot of somewhat later blooming double-flowered weeping cherry trees. Check with the tourist information desk and japan-guide.com.

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/24 00:07
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I think i will get taxi from KiyomizuGojo station to the temple. Could you recommend me the way to get taxi. How to recognise the sign of the taxi stand or port?
After visiting the Kiyomizu dera temple I will take bus 100 to Ginkakuji temple as you told me. May I get taxi again from Kiyomizudera to Ginkakuji. Is it worth for the time and energy? I concern a lot about physical energy using.
Appreciate.

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/24 08:27
Taxis are easily recognizable and plentiful in Kyoto. Here are some basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2021.html

If you start the day at Kyoto Station, it is cheaper (and obviously easier) to take the taxi all the way from the station to Kiyomizudera instead of traveling via Tofukuji and Kiyomizu-Gojo.

Taxis at Kyoto Station are plentiful except on some extremely busy days, such as weekends during the cherry blossom season when there can be waiting times at the taxi stand (but there are also waiting times for the buses).

From Kiyomizudera, I recommend to walk through the Higashiyama district to Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park. It is one of the nicest walks in the city, and Maruyama Park is one of the best cherry blossom spots:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3959.html

If comfort is more important to you than a low budget, by all means I recommend to take a taxi again to access Ginkakuji instead of taking the bus.

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/2/24 21:04
Thanks a lot.
I heard that bus and taxi can be very slow in front of Kyoto station because of heavy traffic jam so I'm afraid that the fastest way to get out of the station could be trains? I will reconsider my plan and add Maruyama park for cherry blossom. Do you think I am quite late for Maruyama park as well?
Osaka Mint museum has late blooming Cherry blossom. Do you think 17 April is suitable?
You gave me many value suggestions. I am really appreciated.

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/3/2 10:52
Do you think I am quite late for Maruyama park as well?

The cherry btrees at Maruyama Park follow a very average schedule. So, according to the current forecasts, I think you could be on the late side. It is very difficult to predict how long it takes the trees to progress into full bloom (depending on temperatures it can take less than a week or almost two weeks) and how long the blossoms will hang on (a singly windy day can take down large numbers of blossoms prematurely).

Osaka Mint museum has late blooming Cherry blossom. Do you think 17 April is suitable?

The dates for 2013 have not been announced yet, but I feel there is a good chance it will be open on the 17th. I can't guarantee, though.

Re: Keihan train and bus 2013/3/2 14:32
Thank you Uji

reply to this thread