Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/6 20:38
Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima?
by Kiarasa  

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 12:37
I believe that the sand baths would be mixed gender, but you are wearing a cotton robe called a yukata, and have sand shoveled on top of you. This is probably not what you meant.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 13:35
Here is the link to a private site for the list of konyoku onsen in Kagosima.

http://konyokutomonokai.com/kagosimaken/kagosimaken.html

I guess you understand what the mix gender onsen mean and do not expect too much.

by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 15:39
The website you recommended is in japanese language & i cant find it in english.
I prefer nice sea or mountain view mix gender onsen bath in Kyushu .
by Kiarasa rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 15:46
Why specifically mixed gender? Seems odd
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 15:54
takeda's ghost,

Its a pretty normal question especially for travelling couples that want to enjoy the bath together. Also, it can be extremely intimidating for many people to experience onsen for the first time alone.

Kiarasa,

Here is one of the few english sites that covers the topic. It is not nearly as in depth as some of the Japanese sites, so you may need to use an online translator to find info on more obscure baths.

http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 16:28
I am a Japanese man living in Kagoshima. If you imagine a mixed bath like a place where many young men and women are going naked, there is actually no places in today's Japan. There might be "public mixed onsen", but it is actually for those who knows it well, not for tourists. In Japan, like in many other countries, most people are embarrassed when being seen naked from others, particularly from persons of the counter gender.

If you would like to enjoy onsen with your counter gender friend (I do not know how to say in English correctly), you should find Koshutu onsen (private onsen). Today, many onsen ryokan and public onsen have their own private onsen facility. You should first decide the place of onsen (Yufuin, Kurokawa, Kirishima, Ibusuki and so on). I believe almost all major onsen town have some private onsen facilities.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/8 22:52
If you are looking for a couple to enjoy a private bath together, you might use the Online Reservations that will take you to places to book hotels.

The JAPANiCAN reservation system allows you to restrict your search by things like "Internet Access" and "Easy Train Access".

If you use the "MORE" button onder restrictions, two of the options are "Ensuite Open Air Bath" and "Private Open Air Bath".

This will get you hotels that offer rooms where you have access to what you may want.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Any mix gender onsen bath in Kagoshima? 2013/3/9 08:48
Sure there are public mixed onsen for tourists!

Unfortunately, the Ryujin Rotemburo at the Furusato Onsen ryokan on Sakurajima is currently closed due to bankruptcy by the ryokan. It used to be a wonderful, gender mixed seaside rotemburo where bathers would dress in awkward white robes to avoid nudity. But it was a very special bath, hopefully to be reopened in the future.

In Kirishima Onsen just outside of Kagoshima City, there are multiple gender mixed baths. One of my favorites are the slightly run down baths of the Shinmoe-so. Also, the huge bath hall at the Kirishima Hotel is mixed during most of the time. You can find more details on both here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4628.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread