Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/7 01:16
Does xoxo in Japan mean the same thing in the states - kisses and hugs? If you were to write "xoxo" on a letter to someone in Japan, would they know what it means or is this only common in the states?
by Michelle (guest)  

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/7 22:37
I believe this is a US thing; so your friends would need to be familiar with the American custom to understand it :)
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/8 01:03
I have never seen xoxo...
To begin with, kisses and hugs are not common behavior in Japan.
Japanese facemarks in love. (^3^)kiss!
http://www.facemark.jp/f-love.htm

BTW, my friend had heard xxx in the letter is the kissmarks.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/8 15:49
Very much doubt a Japanese person would know it. I'm British and I've never heard of it as kisses and hugs, guessed it was some sort of manical laughter.
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/8 17:15
I think it means same kiss and hug if it were used in letter/text etc.
I can not think of anything else.

Some Japanese knows it means kiss and hug and they use it.
I never seen it from friends and I never used it to my Japanese friends though.
It's not common to use it between Japanese.

Although we use "x" as a mark for "incorrect", and "o" as a mark for "correct" especially for scoring test.
by meiosaka rate this post as useful

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/9 09:04
I thought it was a British thing, too. It's used here, too (at least where I live anyway), like xxx or xxxooo on a special occasion card, or x after a text message. But I never knew it, while I was in Japan.
by kkk (guest) rate this post as useful

xoxo 2013/3/9 11:42
I'm a 17 years old Japanese girl ;3

I often use xoxo and I know what it means of course, kiss and hug :p Soooo... some know it and others know it. But almost every friend of mine knows what xoxo means ;)
by nokapin rate this post as useful

Re: What does xoxo mean? 2013/3/10 15:54
It's an English-speaking world thing in general, I don't think it's just American. Agree that most Japanese people won't understand it though.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread