Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/20 02:37
Hi all. I've been looking at Hanami alternatives due to the early bloom in Tokyo, and I've come upon the Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura festival in Maebashi. Based on what I've researched so far, it is doable to go to Maebashi Station through JR from Tokyo, but I can only figure it out up to that point. I'm not sure how to get to the festival from Maebashi Station.

One of the pamphlets says the following:
Access:
About 25 min by car from Isesaki IC of KitaKanto Expressway
About 45 min by car from Maebashi Station of JR Ryomo Line

Unfortunately we won't have a car, and I'm trying to avoid taxis to save on expenses.

Is there a way to get there by bus? This website seems to have some information (after Google Translate) but it is hard to figure it out exactly:
http://www.maebashi-cvb.com/event/e_senbonsakura.htm

Would going to this festival be difficult to do? If anybody can give some advice or help, it would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)
by japan_visitor (guest)  

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/20 11:17
http://www.maebashi-cvb.com/event/pdf/sakurashinbun20130205.pdf [PDF]

Special bus [周遊バスさくら号/Syuyu-bus Sakura-go]
operate : 13-14(Sat/Sun),20-21,27-29 APR
from JR Maebashi sta south exit[JR前橋駅 南口] : 1000Y(as round free oneday ticket) / 75min[sta to Senbon-zakura/oneway]
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/20 13:02
with the info provided by mm, it looks like Akagi on Jomo line is the nearest station to the site by the bus.

If you take Ryomou Express #3 7:52 at KitaSenju station (10 minutes from Ueno), you get to Akagi at 9:27. Then you jump on the bus leaving at 9:35, you will reach the senbonzakura location in 30 minutes.

You should doublecheck with your hotel staff upon the arrival.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/20 17:15
Thanks for the responses guys, very much appreciated.

Unfortunately we will be leaving Japan by April 10 so we won't be able to take the special Sakura-go buses. That would have been ideal. These buses only start on April 13. I am thinking that maybe they would start a bit earlier (April 6) due to the early blooms, but I can't see any info on that as of yet. Would that be a possibility?

As for getting on a bus from Akagi station, would you know which bus to ride and what stop? Would it be walking distance up to that stop?

Also, as a general question, when you get off a bus stop, how do you get back to the station? Does a return bus arrive at the same stop where one is dropped off?

Thanks again for your help!
by japan_visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/21 02:26
I'm sorry, can anyone please translate the bus timetable?

http://www.maebashi-cvb.com/event/pdf/sakurashinbun20130205.pdf

Thanks.
by Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/21 07:42
As mentioned before, the buses only run on April 13, 14, 20, 21, 28 and 29

There are two tables. The upper one is for buses from JR Maebashi Station (South Exit). The other is for buses from Akagi Station of Jomo Railways.

First table:

1st column: Maebashi Station
2nd column: Gunma Flower Park
3rd column: German Village
4th column: Senbonzakura
5th column: Gunma Flower Park
6th column: Maebashi Station

To make it even more complicated, there are different times for different days on some of the days, and on some days the buses only go as far as the German Village (which is within walking distance of the Senbonzakura):
blue times: April 13, 14, 20 and 21
brown rimes: April 27-29

Second table:

1st column: Akagi Station
2nd column: German Village
3rd column: Senbonzakura Parking Lot
4th column: Gunma Flower Park
5th column: Senbonzakura Parking Lot
6th column: German Village
7th column: Akagi Station
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/21 14:35
Unfortunately, public transportation is rather bad in this part of Japan. I think the only practical option is to take a taxi, which will be quite expensive (over 5000 yen one way from JR Maebashi Station).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 03:00
I read somewhere that I could take a train from Maebashi Station to Ogo Station and I could take a taxi from there. Do you think that could lower the expense?

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 08:30
Not sure if driving is an option? Mazda car rental have a location in Shin-Maebashi and you can rent a car for the day for Y6,300 which includes a GPS unit.
http://www.mazda-rentacar.com/shop/shop_detail.php?TENPO_CD=1002
You get a lot more freedom and might even get to places you had crossed off because it was too hard to get to.
Just make sure you get your international drivers license before you go to Japan!
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 17:14
[About a taxi]
The charge from Ogo Station to the senbonzakura location becomes 3,000 yen order.
If it comes out of the ticket gate of Ogo Station, there is a taxi stand.
In the way home, it costs the pick-up charge of 710 yen separately.
by eswnwgr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 18:32
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Regarding the taxi, will that be 3000 yen one-way? Also, how do you tell the taxi and negotiate a pick-up at the same area?

I also wanted to ask... do you think all the effort will be worth it? We are one of those tourists that got affected by the early cherry blossom bloom of Tokyo (we arrive in Tokyo on March 30), and I'm researching how to get to Akagi Senbonzakura because we really want to see the best sakura that we can. Looking at the photos of this Senbonzakura, it gives a similar feel to that of Ueno Park where cherry blossoms serve as a canopy while you walk through the pathway. But the more I research this, the expense is becoming more apparent. As of right now, if we (a couple) try to get to Akagi Senbonzakura on April 6, it is going to cost us 8000y total each (Tokyo to Maebashi train, then taxi from Ogo Station).

Should I try going somewhere else instead? Any suggestions that would be equally or similarly great in terms of cherry blossom viewing?

Thank you for your patience and help.

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 20:16
Regarding the taxi, will that be 3000 yen one-way?
Yes,one-way.
how do you tell the taxi and negotiate a pick-up at the same area?
The easiest method is that you ask a nearby Japanese.
Although 'I would like to return to ogo station by taxi, what should I do? '
'Sumimasenn. oogoeki made takusii de kaeritainodesuga dousureba iidesyou? takusii wo yonnde kuremasennka?'
They are glad and think that they fulfill your hope.

Though March 30 is regrettable, the cherry tree of Tokyo this year is not full bloom.
btw If possible, I recommend you going to Kyoto.
If' a philosophical load'='TETSUGAKU NO MICHI 哲学の道' is taken a walk especially, it will be a wonderful experience which you desire.
by eswnwgr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Maebashi (Akagi Nanmen Senbonzakura) 2013/3/25 20:50
Unfortunately Kyoto is too far for us, and we are trying to keep our travel to Tokyo and nearby areas. Still, thanks for the response!

reply to this thread