Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transfers trains in japan 2013/3/25 17:34
Hello! I am planning a trip to Kyoto the 7th of May. And durinf the planning trip I got confused about transfering trains. (first time I ll be in japan, and yet geting confuse)

For example:

I have this result:

Departure: Inari station (JR NARA LINE) to Tofukuji (transfer) to Gion-Shijo station (Keihan Main Line/Nakanoshima line local)

I have Japan rail pass. But it doesn't serv for the Keihan line, right? So do I have to get off from Tofukuji, then go to a machine to pay the ticket to Gion-Shijo??

I heard than in some transferring, you didn't have to get off the train, so I still donLt know when you have to get off and pay appart.

I was also confused because in hyperdia I don't have any track number of the keihan main line to gion-shijo.

I'm so sorry for so many questions, I still have problems to understand train transportation in Japan, although I ve been reading all I can.

And sorry for my english!

I would appreciate some help to understand more about the transferring trains, when to pay appart the price in ticket machines, (and if in all transfers you have to get off!) Always considering that I will have the japan rail pass.

(here it's the link of hyperdia that confused me: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=INARI&arv_node=...

Thank you!!!

Maria
by Maria (guest)  

Re: Transfers trains in japan 2013/3/26 07:13
I have Japan rail pass. But it doesn't serv for the Keihan line, right?

That's right.

So do I have to get off from Tofukuji, then go to a machine to pay the ticket to Gion-Shijo??

Yes, unless you have a prepaid card, such as Suica or Icoca, in which case all you have to do is to swipe the card over the reader at the Keihan ticket gates:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

I heard than in some transferring, you didn't have to get off the train, so I still donLt know when you have to get off and pay appart.

This is very rare in case of JR. Most of these rare cases are listed up here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html

I was also confused because in hyperdia I don't have any track number of the keihan main line to gion-shijo.

The station has just two platforms. Go to the one in direction for Demachiyanagi, Sanjo, Gion-Shijo. There are many bilingual signs.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Transfers trains in japan 2013/3/26 08:27
Thank you so much Uji! This was veri useful!

I was afraid while transfers because I didn't know if I could have enough time in 5 minutes to know where the specific non JR Line is, and to know with what machine I should buy the ticket. But I guess is announced in the tables all the lines and in what platforms .

But I'm happy to know that If I'm in hurry, the PASMO card works for transfers in non JR lines at Kyoto =) (although some time I will buy the ticket in machines so I also get used to it)

Thank you for your answer!!! =)

by Maria (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread