Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/3/28 04:30
Hi there, I am aware this question has been asked regarding Onsen, and there was a previous thread in 2011 which is no longer up-to-date (I think?)

I am extremely extensivly tattooed as is my partner, we would love to visit Japan but would be extremely reluctant to offend anyone by not covering up my ink.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated
by jmcwitch  

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/3/29 21:23
Hello!(^-^)/

How about this thread?
"Tattoo in Onsen"
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+101084
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/4/3 12:09
I think he might be asking about other than at an onsen.

If it's just out and about you will probably get some looks from curious passersby, and some people might be a bit nervous around you, but I doubt you'll offend anyone in most situations merely by having exposed tattoos. It'll be more important to behave politely and respectfully than how you'll look, in my opinion.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/4/3 17:26
So far I never had bad experience in Japan because of my tattoos. Maybe some people looking at it, but that's all.
When I was going to Onsen with my friend I tried to cover. But sure other people saw it, but also don't said anything.
I think in some places people are used to it. Like in Tokyo or Kyoto. I saw a lot of people with sometimes really large tattoos. And I have to say, if you look foreign it make it easier.
by TinaJ rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/4/3 21:19
Never had any trouble. If anything, people compliment me on my tattoos.
by serioiusly? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/4/7 00:45
The Japanese are well aware of the fact that other countries use tattoos for fashion or cultural purposes, so if you're a non-Japanese going to an onsen, you shouldn't have any problems.

These days tattoos are becoming less and less of a social stigma (though still a touchy topic with the older generation) as Japanese youth are developing an interested in ink as art and yakuza - the ones who made tattoos scary in the first place - aren't as inked up as they used to be.

When you get to an onsen, you can ask whether or not it would be best for you to cover up (usually with bandages) before entering the bath. You can also alert the clerk that your tattoos are for fashion purposes only. And, if you've got the money and the desire, you're always free to reserve a private bath where they have them. And if someone says, "No, you can't come in" even after all that, then all you can do is say, "I see, thank you" and take a shot at the next location.

Good luck!
by Amai Umeboshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/5/14 09:06
I'm travelling in Japan at the moment and am heavily tattooed on my arms, legs and back. I haven't had any problems but have been mindful to cover up a bit and haven't attempted going to an onsen as I don't want to disrespect the rules. I found that in Tokyo and Osaka no one will give you a second look, however in smaller cities like Kobe and Hiroshima I got a lot of attention. I was actually approached by an old yakuza in Hiroshima who was really impressed with my tatts. He showed me all of his and showed me where he had his fingers cut off as penance to the gang, it was kinda cool :)

Don't be stressed about it, the Japanese are very polite and would never make you feel uncomfortable, however as always, if you don't feel like being stared at or being asked questions just cover up. There are heaps of amazing things to do in Japan besides go to an onsen (like get tattooed by some of the best artists in the world!) and you won't be missing out by having tatts.

Enjoy Japan :)
by Jamie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/5/14 12:08
Don't worry about it too much. Try to keep them covered as much as you can but its not a case of show and ink and people will kill you. Most people will appreciate you are covering a lot even if you're showing a little.

I know several tattooed Japanese people and one American guy who has full sleeves and everything. Its not as big a deal as people think.
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/5/20 02:56
The prohibiting people with tattos from onsen and public swimming pools is only the matter of the manners and there is no law supporting the ban. The core target is to prohibit heavily tatooed Yakuza to come in and causes disturbance to the commoners, and I believe many businesses are afraid that if they allow anyone with tattos, they must allow Yakuza as well.

If Japanese walked into the onsen and see the large dragon tatto on the back, they'll think the onsen is Yakuza-friendly place, and might not come back anymore. So whether the tattoes person is Japanese or not, that can hurt their business in a long term. The businsses are obligated to protect the regulars who mostly made up of elders and families with children.

Every Japanese is awared that tatooed non-Asian is not Yakuza, and most of managers probbly won't say anything when they see tatoos on the foreigners. On top of that, the tradition of tattos is becoming less common among Yakuza themselves, so I think public views are changing. It's just the matter of manners for now.
by jomonstrider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/5/20 10:54
When they say no tatoos, it means it. At least you should ask if you can go into onsen/sento with your tatoos. You do not think it is OK just because other gaijins said no problem.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Showing my tattoos in Japan 2013/10/8 10:49
Hey, a lot of people have talked about foreigners with tattoos being okay, but while I'm a foreigner to Japan, I happen to look very Japanese! Would it be likely that I'd be misunderstood if I went into an onsen with a tattoo?
by MadameHotaru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread