Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 04:13
I'm arriving early evening from Narita by NEX and would like to know specifically which exit at Tokyo Station should I use to get a taxi to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I was also wondering if it would be better to take the limo bus from Narita straight to the hotel but I'm concerned about the traffic from Narita to Tokyo during the rush hour. I'll arrive at Narita at 17:25 and need to be at the Mandarin Oriental by 20:00 by the latest; so I'm thinking the train might be faster.

Thank you!
by GBrowne (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 10:02
The taxi stand is located at the Yaesu Central Exit.

You can also walk there in under ten minutes from the Nihonbashi Exit.

I am not sure how big is the risk of getting stuck in traffic in the evenings, but the direct bus would obviously be most convenient assuming you have a good connection and it does not incur a major delay.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 11:15
I would think that the Marunouchi side, where the train lets you off, would be more convenient if you're carrying luggage, no? A ten-minute walk through rush-hour Tokyo Station isn't that easy.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 11:34
Using the Yasesu side versus the Marunouchi side adds about three minutes of walking time through the busy station. So, indeed, I agree that leaving through the Marunouchi side would be more comfortable. There are taxis stands at both the Marunouchi South Exit and North Exit.

The taxi fare is unlikely to exceed the base fare regardless which exit you exit. But Yaesu would be closer distance wise.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 11:49
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html

In your case, you should ride a taxi from Tokyo station. There are taxi pools on both side of the station.

If you had more time, you should travel one stop back to JR Shinnihonbashi station by JR Sobu line(same line as the NEX runs on). Mandarin Oriental is connected to the station by underground walkway, so you could reach the hotel without going to the ground.

http://m.mandarinoriental.com/tokyo/hotel/hotel-directions/
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 11:53

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 14:17
Thanks to all for the prompt response. I really appreciate your help!
by GBrowne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 14:50
On the map of Tokyo Station (available on www.jreast.co.jp), the upper direction is the southeast.
Trains running from/to NRT use Sobu Underground platforms on the 5th basement of the annex on the Marunouchi side.
Horizontally it is enough short to walk (via a pathway) between the Marunouchi and the Yaesu ends. However, in order to take a taxi, you will need to go also vertically up to the ground, regardless of which end you would choose.

cc: If you had more time, you should travel one stop back to Shin-Nihombashi Station by JR Sobu line

Strictly speaking, a passenger is not allowed to turn back from Tokyo to Shin-Nihombashi with a normal fare ticket or with a special ticket included in a Suica & N'EX package.

If you are not with a heavy or huge piece of luggage, a subway route is worth considering.
The subway fare is 160 yen. It takes about 15 to 25 minutes to get from a JR Sobu Underground platform of Tokyo to Exit A7 of subway Mitsukoshimae.
Tokyo
: (5th basement) [short escalator] (4th basement) [long escalator]
(1st basement) Marunouchi Underground Central Gate
| [short walk]
Tokyo Metro entrance gate:
Tokyo {M-17}: Track 2
| [Tokyo Metro subway Marunouchi Line]
{M-18} Otemachi
: (1st basement) [escalator] (3rd basement)
Otemachi {Z-08}: Track 8
| [Tokyo Metro subway Hanzomon Line]
{Z-09} Mitsukoshimae
- http://www.tokyometro.jp/station/mitsukoshimae/yardmap/images/yardmap....
: (5th basement) [escalator] [escalator] (1st basement): exit gate
[walk] [slope / staircase] [walk] [elevator] Exit A7.

On the following map offered by the hotel, the upper direction is about the west.
- http://photos.mandarinoriental.com/is/content/MandarinOriental/tokyo-d...

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Station to Mandarin Oriental Hotel 2013/5/2 15:27
-Strictly speaking, a passenger is not allowed to turn back from Tokyo to Shin-Nihombashi with a special ticket included in a Suica & N'EX package.

The special-value outward ticket can be used to board the Narita Express and travel to any JR East station in the Designated Tokyo Train Interval, the yellow area on the map. Riders may get off the train along the route as long as they do not exit from the ticket gate.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Re: no-turning-back rule 2013/5/2 16:21
Practically a passenger can turn back on a short section with a one-way ticket unless he/she passes through a gate, but that does not mean a passenger is allowed to do so. "Pay as you ride" is a fundamental principle which is common among JR base fares.

A (pair of) one-way special ticket(s) included in a Suica & N'EX package might be an exception, but I do not see a clear statement made by JR-East which admits it. (My understanding is that as long as the ticket is a one-way ticket, a phrase such as "travel to any JR East station" is not to justify turning back.)

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread