Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/15 16:33
Hi

We will be visiting Japan in January 2014 and have been reading about the Nakasendo walking trial in particual the 8km walk between Magone and Tsumago and are keen to hike this trial.

1. Does anyone know if this walk is possbile in January.

2. Do the busses still run in JanuaryW

3. Would the luggage forwarding service still operate in January as we sould like to send our luggage on from Magome.

We are not used to hiking in the snow so dont have snow shoes etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreicated.

thanks
by valandross  

Re: Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/15 17:30
Does anyone know if this walk is possbile in January.

It depends on the snow conditions. If there is a lot of snow, it can be impossible. But during times when there is not too much snow, it may be walkable.

Do the busses still run in January

Yes.

Would the luggage forwarding service still operate in January as we sould like to send our luggage on from Magome.

No.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/15 18:07
Thank you Uji

I think we will plan to visit the area and hopefully will be able to do the walk. Do they actually close it if there is too much snow? Just want to make sure we dont try to walk it when its unsafe. I assume we would ask the locals.

Do you know if the bus runs every day in January as I did read somewhere that it only operates on the weekend in winter?

thanks for you help.
by valandross rate this post as useful

Re: Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/15 18:27
Do they actually close it if there is too much snow?

No. But some sections of the trail may simply not be walkable if they are not cleared in case of deep snow. And even if there is only a little bit of snow, you will need proper walking shoes.

Do you know if the bus runs every day in January as I did read somewhere that it only operates on the weekend in winter?

Yes, they run as explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/bus/kiso.html

Re: Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/15 18:37
great thank you Uji.

sorry about all questions.

Where is best to stay Nagiso, Magome or Tsumago.

by valandross rate this post as useful

Re: Magome to Tsumago walk in January 2013/5/16 08:17
I have not stayed there myself yet, but I have only heard great things about the Fujioto in Tsumago:
http://www.tsumago-fujioto.jp/tomarie.html

. As for the towns, Tsumago is the best. Magome is also great. Nagiso is the name of the municipality in which Tsumago is located (and the name of the station closest to Tsumago).

reply to this thread