Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/5 23:43
i am in Japan for 10 night's and am wondering if i can get away with the 7 day Jr pass?

my schedule is as follows...

arriving in Osaka - 2 night's

onto kyoto - 3 night's

onto Tokyo - 5 night's

i am hoping that i can just use the local lines while in Tokyo and and pay as i go as the only big trip i will be taking in Tokyo will be the one to the airport.

also, a weird question... can i take in a few packets of couscous mix?

thanks
by tjgoldstein  

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/6 09:45
well, if I learnt my lesson well , JR pass is simply not cost effective in Tokyo. So if you are staying the last 5 days in Tokyo on a 10 day trip, get the 7 day JR pass.

(Uji and everyone else, please certify my answer!)

no idea about the couscous though, sorry.
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/6 10:01
The JR pass will only pay off if you are making the round trip from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and back. If you travel one way then the pass will not pay off.

also, a weird question... can i take in a few packets of couscous mix?

Yes, that should be ok to bring.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/6 10:41
- Tokyo - Osaka round trip

- A day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka/Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka, A day trip to Nikko from Tokyo

7 Day JR Pass pays off when you do one of these trips within 7 days.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/6 10:41
- A day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka/Kyoto, Kyoto to Tokyo, A day trip to Nikko from Tokyo

by correction (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/14 21:21
Thank you for all the helpful info, i appreciate it! Sorryfor taking so long in getting back to the forums
:-)
by tjgoldstein rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/15 03:01
Sorry to hijack this thread.

- A day trip to Hiroshima from Osaka/Kyoto, Kyoto to Tokyo, A day trip to Nikko from Tokyo

I understand that Tokyo - osaka round trip pays off for a 7-day JR pass.

The second example is either a Hiroshima - Osaka round trip, Kyoto - Tokyo round trip or Nikko - Tokyo round trip will made a 7 day JR pass pays off?

Or it means I must do all 3 trips if it's a single way trip?
by Questions (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/15 03:25
It means starting in Kyoto/Osaka, going to Hiroshima and back, than heading to Tokyo and making a day-trip from there to Nikko. Not all of them on the same day, but within the validity of a 7-day pass.

Since Hiroshima-Osaka takes about 4 hours using the JR pass, I'd say it must at least be a full day trip for it to be worth it. Same applies to Nikko.

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/15 03:43
Since Hiroshima-Osaka takes about 4 hours using the JR pass, I'd say it must at least be a full day trip for it to be worth it. Same applies to Nikko.

Not true. Hiroshima from Osaka is 90 minutes. Nikko from Tokyo is between 90 minutes and 2 hours, depending on what route.
by Aoi Ninami rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day or 14 day Jr pass? 2013/6/15 04:20
My bad, should have made it clear. I meant around 4 hours round trip.

reply to this thread