Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 09:51
Our group of 8 will be in Obihiro for 2 weeks and won't be able to use ATMS to withdraw money from our U.S. nonprofit account. Can we use the preloaded Visa cards rather than carry cash? Are they accepted most places? Extra charges that accompany them?
(sorry if this is a 2nd post, but can't see where it posted before).
Thanks
by Sheila (guest)  

Re: Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 10:53
I assume you mean Visa prepaid cards.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+104440

For fees, you need to check with your local car issuer.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 12:20
During my trip to Japan last November, (and again returning this November and December), I had no problem using my 'pre-paid' Visa and Mastercards. The value to you is you are using 'your' money at the rate you selected and converted, thereby not being caught out bu low conversion rates and charges.Last November I was lucky to convert Australian Dollars to Yen @ Y98. I recently converted Aussie Dollars @ Y91 ready for my November trip. Pre-paid cards with a Visa or Mastercard Logo are welcome wherever you see the Logos displayed. In short, YES you can use your pre-paid cards. Enjoy your trip!
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 13:23
Thanks for the replies, but one questions to clarify. Are you saying that in Australia you were able to get a prepaid Visa loaded with yen? What type of card? Something like Travelex (thought that one doesn't work in Japan currently)
by Sheila (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 13:58
In Australia I have an 'Ozforex' prepaid Visa Card which I use in Japan for Hotels, Shopping, Restraunts etc. Ozforex is the Australian branch of 'Forex' an international currency rates and exchange business. I believe most banks offer a pre-paid card as does Jetstar (Airlines) and Virgin Australia (Airlines) have just introduced one too. You can 'top up' any time anywhere in the world at the selected currency rate that appeals to you. I suggest you do a 'Google' search in your country for a travellers 'Pre-Paid Travel card'. I have never had a problem using my card in Japan. Good luck.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Preloaded Visa cards useful? 2013/7/8 20:56
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+102192

If you are thinking Visa re Mastercard etc this thread is relevant.

Think "prepaid visa" equals "credit card" in Japan in terms of actual availability of usage : in many restaurants/convenience stores/smaller shops etc cash is the rule.: credit cards are becoming more common, but Japan is still a very cash-based economy

You need to research with your bank and the above thread re the ability to be able to withdraw cash at will: cash is your friend.

Good luck.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread