Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone - Prince Hotel & Free Pass 2013/7/8 14:35
Hi all

I will be staying at the Prince Hotel for a night in Hakone, and I am planning to buy the Hakone 2 day pass and try to complete all sights in a day, as the next morning will be travelling to Osaka.

What is the best way of doing this?

Also, we are travelling with 1 piece of large luggage - if we decide to do the tourist route all the way first before getting in to the hotel, is it possible to lug the luggage on all forms of transportation on the freepass, e.g. ropeway, ship etc?

Thanks!
by chrissy (guest)  

Re: Hakone - Prince Hotel & Free Pass 2013/7/8 15:55
I don't know exactly where you want to see when you say "all sights" (there are many museums along the way from Hakone Yumoto to Sounzan, and in areas nearby), but probably you mean the typical round course.

Your hotel is located on the lake, a bit past halfway into the round course, so you cannot really "complete" the course, but I would: reach Hakone Yumoto, take the Hakone Tozan Railway up, stop over at Open Air Museum if you want to, continue on the Railway, onto the ropeway, stop over at Owakudani (for the sulfur site and black eggs), continue on the ropeway to Togendai.

From there:
- if you don't have time, take the Odakyu Hakone Highway Bus, or taxi (actually there aren't many buses that connect to that hotel) to The Prince Hakone hotel, located near Hakone-en bus stop.
- or, you could take the pirate ship to Moto Hakone, and take another ferry to Hakone-en (not covered by the Free Pass).
(If the weather is good, you could try the Komagatake Ropeway from there, not covered by the Free Pass. If the weather is good, the view is impressive.)

- if you have plenty of time, you could take the pirate ship across to Hakone-machi, visit the Hakone Checkpoint,
- or you could take the pirate ship further to Moto Hakone, and visit Hakone Shrine.
...then proceed to the hotel, either via taxi or a bit of a walk.

The above depends on what you want to see.

Next morning, take a taxi (probably) to Moto Hakone, and from there, take either Hakone Tozan Bus back to Odawara (35 - 40 minutes ride, one bus every half hour, starting from 10:05 according to my 2012 timetable), or take Numadu Tozan Tokai Bus (45 - 50 minutes ride, one bus every hour, two during summer season) to Mishima station. You can get on JR Shinkansen to Shin-Osaka from there.

About luggage:
I would use the "Hakone Carry Service" - if you drop off your luggage at Hakone Yumoto before 12:30, they will deliver same day after 3 pm to your hotel. (I am not sure if the Prince Hotel is covered by this, though.) OR, you could simply forward the big suitcase to your hotel in Osaka, and just travel light for the two days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone - Prince Hotel & Free Pass 2013/7/8 16:48
Thanks very much for the prompt reply, AK.

Would you happen to know whether I can walk to the shrine from the hotel or if there is public transport?

Assuming I have enough time to get to the shrine, will I be stranded there if I leave it too late?

Getting very nervous reading about the lack of transport options past 4pm!
by Chrissy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone - Prince Hotel & Free Pass 2013/7/8 22:20
I would say Hakone Shrine to the Prince Hotel should be about 30 minutes' walk, though I have not done it.

This is the boat that connects among Kojiri (near Togendai), Hakone-en (near your hotel), and Moto Hakone.
http://www.izuhakone.co.jp/Ashinoko_E2.pdf

Note that this boat is different from the pirate ship.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone - Prince Hotel & Free Pass 2014/10/20 11:26
OK so to update I walked the route at 5pm from the ferry drop off point near the Shrine to Prince Hotel. It took us closer to 40 minutes, and dusk fell really fast. The road is not well lit and it was an adventure to say the least walking in almost complete darkness! Also no walking paths so you're walking directly on the road with cars whizzing by. I don't think I'd do it again! Next time, I'll spring for a taxi :)
by Chrissy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread