Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 17:30
I'm getting married next February and would like to go to Japan for our honeymoon.

We plan to go from 25/2-3/3 for overall 6 nights. We love food and traditional culture.

Do you think we could visit both Kyoto and Tokyo and squeeze in some time for hotsprings?

Thank you,
CaDao
by CaDao (guest)  

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 19:03
Suggested itinerary here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_5.html

It might make sense if you can buy air tickets flying into Narita and leaving from Kansai (or the other way around).
You could stop over at Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto for an overnight stay.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 19:38
Thank you very much for your reply! Really appreciate it!
by CaDao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 20:52
If you are interested in something off the normal path for tourists, try going along the east coast of Kyushu. There are hot springs resorts at Beppu, and Miyazaki has some shrines dedicated to honeymooners. Miyazaki used to be a honeymoon location for Japanese, and the Udo shrine was usually visited for a blessing on the marriage.

Udo Shrine:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e8032.html

Beppu:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4700.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 21:25
Great information!!! Thank you very much!
by CaDao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/9 22:49
I definitely wouldn't suggest Kyushu for a 6 day first time trip to Japan. As nice as it is in Kyushu, what's your first Japanese vacation without Tokyo and/or Kyoto? I'd look at having a special night somewhere along the night, e.g. ryokan at Hakone, shukubo at Mt Koya.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/10 02:50
Personally, If it was MY honeymoon, I would want private places, without lot of crowds, and a hot springs onsen or ryokan every night.

As much as a like Tokyo and Kyoto, I would rather not spend my honeymoon there. My first choice would be Okinawa, and my second choice would be at one of Kyushu resort areas.

The other consideration is the time of year. In february, I would want to be as far south. It will be slightly warmer, and there will be more spring flowers.

On my last trip to Japan, I spent my first week in Kyushu. I started in Fukuoka and went south to Kagoshima. I spent two days at Yakoshima Island, and returned to Kagoshima. I then went up the east coast, hitting Miyazaki, Takachiho, and Beppu before returning to Fukuoka. I stayed every night at a resort/onsen, and had a great time. It I was to go an a second honeymoon with my wife, I would definately suggest this to her.

I do agree with going to either Hakone or Mount Koya, or even going to Shirahama (beach resort south of Osaka/Kyoto). I would also suggest a winter like honeymoon, and for them to go to to Nagano, Gokayama, and Shirakawa. I would think the Shirakawa winter light up would be a great memory.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5956.html

If you do go and to the Tokyo/Kyoto trip, I would suggest one night in Nagoya. Nagoya is between Tokyo and Kyoto. Go to the winter illumination. I have not been to it, but it looks fantastic. It usually runs unto the end of March.

http://travelvista.net/winter-illumination-light-display-japan
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/10 09:13
Do you like countryside or cities or a bit of both? And would you want to see snow? For me snow is a novelty because I leave near Surfers Paradise in Oz. So if I was having a honeymoon, I'd reckon snow would be nice, and for that I'd probably pop up to Nikko to the Nikko Kanaya hotel which is essentially from the late 1800s. But Nikko is empty at night, so it isnt as though you can go out anywhere, you'd end up gazing into each others eyes all night...
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/10 10:29
For our honeymoon, we chose a secluded island resort in Fiji because we wanted to laze around and spend our days relaxing in paradise. The OP, however, enquired about the possibility of visiting Tokyo and Kyoto, implying the desire for an active, sightseeing honeymoon.
I don't know about everyone else, but our first trip to Japan involved Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, Jigokudani monkey park, Koyasan, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto, Nara. It would seem strange to me to skip all of that in favour of Okinawa and Kyushu, honeymoon or not.
You can visit both Kyoto and Tokyo in that period of time, but you could choose one and make the most of it. For example:
1 night Osaka
1 night Koyasan
3 nights Kyoto
1 night Miyajima
if you wanted snow, you could switch a night to Shirakawago.

Or....
4 nights Tokyo
1 night Hakone
1 night at an onsen town, e.g. Kusatsu, Shibu, Ginzan, Nyuto
You can day trip to Nikko or stay the night.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/10 21:52
Thank you for all your great recommendations!! I think I still want to Tokyo and Kyoto! It's my first time in Japan and I really don't want to miss those two! I love visiting temples as well! I'm looking into ryokan in Hakone as well!

There won't be too many tourists in February I guess?

Again, thank you very much!!!
CaDao
by cadao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan in late Feb/Early March 2013/7/10 22:12
It's not a huge amount of time, but it is doable :) I'd fly into one and out of the other, to not waste time.

I'd suggest staying in Kyoto rather than Osaka (they're very close) as it's more traditional and feels more romantic in a ryokan (or a "ryokan" - more budget, doesn't include meals, but has tatami rooms and ambience).

I forgot to mention that it's plum blossom time then too. There are good viewing spots in kansai and Kanto.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread