Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/7/25 09:48
Hi,

I was thinking of attending the Kamiari Festival in Izumo City. But I heard that the dates vary each year due to it being based on the lunar calendar.

Could someone tell me the dates?

Which days of the festival are the most serene? The most lively?

Is it a good festival?

Thank you.
Joshua
by Joshua Hugh  

Re: Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/7/25 12:07
It starts on Nov 12th and last until 28th.

http://www.izumo-kankou.gr.jp/1275

They say all the gods around the country gather at Izumo taisha to discuss all the matters about the country and party. Kami ari tuki means the month of the gods back home. All the other regions than Izumo call the month Kami nashi tuki, which means the month of all the gods gone home and absent.

If you have seen the Miyazaki anime movie, Sen to Chihiro (Sprited away), you can find that the scene where all the gods (looked like monsters to you) gathered at the bath house for party is pretty much like the scene of Kami ari tuki party at Izumo.

by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/7/25 21:35
Thanks!

Another question. It seems that the festival is the whole day? From morning where the crowds pray to the night where there is a fire festival.

Is this true for every day of the festival or for only certain days? Need to know to plan my trip.

Thank you
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/7/25 22:01
Hi. I'm sorry but I don't know what time it will be planned.
I would recommend you to try Izumo-soba if you have a time to go eating near the Izumo-Takisha. Izumo-soba is very very famous around there, especially Arakiya is one of the best restaurant.
Also I would recommend you to visit Matsue that is a city near Izumo city. You could see beautiful Japanese traditional town around Matsue castle.
by SY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/7/26 08:55
Thank you.

I will just drop by and hope to see something happening at the Shrine.

Will check out Matsue too.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Dates for Izumo Taisha Kamiari 2013/8/2 16:42
The first night is "Shingeisai" or "Kamimukaesai", the God-welcoming ceremony. This starts with a fire and welcoming ceremony at Inasa-no-hama beach starting around 7pm. Last year there was already a big crowd by 6pm, despite the rain. If you get there before they run out, you'll probably be given a go-hei(a small stick with folded pieces of paper--a sort of a good luck charm). After the ceremony, they process up to the shrine--just be aware that in case of inclement weather, they might take a bus instead!

Ceremonies and kagura dances take place throughout the week, and then on the final day they process back to the beach. I can't say anything on those from personal experience. It seems most people try to make it to the welcoming ceremony.

Going to Matsue on your trip makes a lot of sense, as its very easy to get between them and you'll probably have more lodging options in Matsue. The Ichibata Railway has a stop down the hill directly in front of Izumo Taisha, and that runs along the north bank of Lake Shinji and ends at Matsue Shinjiko Onsen station, right around the city center and easy walking distance from the castle, samurai residence, Lafcadio Hearn residence/museum, and sight-seeing boat.
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread