Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Harajuku 2013/7/30 11:04
We are planning our third trip to Japan in October 2013 but this time with friends. We wanted to dress up like anime characters and go to Harajuku one weekend. Is this offensive? we want to make sure that we don't offend anyone.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
by Amarys  

Re: Harajuku 2013/7/31 08:54
I don't think you'd offend anyone by doing so. The last few times I'd been to Harajuku were a disappointment as the cosplay scene wasn't really there. March 2005 on a Sunday had a big turnout. October 2010 and March 2012 there was not a soul dressed up on the two Sundays I went. Maybe it was just coincidence.

I hope you have better luck when you go. I don't get into that sort of thing anymore.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/7/31 09:07
Well....i guess it all depends on how you act and what you do.
I'm guessing if you go and make a nuisance of yourselves then it probably won't go down well but otherwise, i'm assuming you'd get a lot of looks if you don't look Japanese.
As for what John said, I would have to somewhat agree. The numbers around the bridge and in the park have dwindles somewhat but i was there in 2011 on a Sunday and there were lots of Rockabillies, other dancers and a few handfulls of cos-players. You guys might end up being the 'attractions'?!
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/7/31 09:42
I have seen a 60 year old man dressed in Sailor Moon uniform and no one was looking that hard, so I think it will be no problem.

You might be attracting more attention than a local would if you don't look Asian.
by naes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/7/31 10:01
I can't imagine that anyone would be offended in any way, and I'm sure people would take photos of you - with or without asking first - just like they would take photos of a Japanese tourist dressed up as the Statue of Liberty posing in New York's Times Square.
by Georgie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 00:10
some of you said the numbers dwindled a bit (last tie i was there was in 2007) - any other place where a cosplay scene may have sprung up? Maybe even in Osaka?
by a-mole (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 01:48
You can try Akiba. Sometimes people dress up there on Sunday.
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 06:59
"You can try Akiba...."

Where's that?
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 07:12
That would be Akihabara. More precisely, the Chuo Dori street that runs down the middle of the district. I don't know if they close it off on Sundays again. They used to until some wacko ran down people and started stabbing them a few years back. I heard they started closing it off to traffic last year maybe? I do remember seeing lots of cosplay on television reports when it was closed off once again.

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 08:06
I'm going in October as well and last year there were no real cosplayers, because it was 30+ degrees outside. We saw some rockabillies (have a great picture of one), this was at the small park.

If you know a date, let us know, I might come and look you guys up. (there from 2nd till 14th or so)
by totalvamp rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 08:30
Seems like October is a popular time to go! I'll be there from the 8th to the 25th, but only in Tokyo the first two and last two days. It's Hokkaido, Tohoku, Hokuriku, Kansai and Chugouku for me!

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 10:34
We're going from oct 1 thru oct 11. We're planning on going to harajuku that sunday, i think its october 6th. That would be cool. We'll be the only people dressed up probably. But it doesnt matter. We're doing it just for fun.
by Amarys rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 10:52
I was in Harajuku in 2006 and we went to the bridge and there weren't many cosplay. This was in June and I don't remember it being very hot. The people that were there didn't seem to be having much fun though.

When we asked them if we could take photos they gave us really dirty looks. I also noticed when people/tourist tried taking photos without permission they would turn their backs to the camera.

I did notice they would pose for Japanese photographers that looked like they were using professional equipment.

That really put a bad mood to the morning.
by Obak3 rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/2 10:53
Wow October is really popular, could come the 6th. Not anything planned so far. Also it would be a nice relaxing day.

Would love to cosplay myself, but don't have a clue what to do. Might buy something from Akihabara.
by totalvamp rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku 2013/8/3 20:26
I also will be in japan from the 6th to the 14th.

at akihabara on the 6th after 1600 and 8th, probably full day.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread