Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/8/16 04:39
Help!

What is the perfect Tsukiji itinerary for a first timer in Japan? I will be there on Tuesday, September 24th. I plan on arriving at 5:00AM (should I get there earlier?) like everyone says but does anyone mind giving me some real advice? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Tuna auction with a stroll through the fish market and I definitely want to eat somewhere delicious!!! I eat all sushi.

Is it possible to see the tuna auction, walk around AND eat at Sushidai or Daiwasushi in one morning or should I skip the auction all together and just get in line for one of these restaurants? Are these restaurants even worth it? I'm sure anywhere will be the best I've ever tasted considering I live in Florida.

Thanks for the help!
by ffedd  

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/8/16 09:22
I plan on arriving at 5:00AM (should I get there earlier?) like everyone says but does anyone mind giving me some real advice?

I would get there earlier, around 4:30, to ensure you get a spot on the tour.

Is it possible to see the tuna auction, walk around AND eat at Sushidai or Daiwasushi in one morning

Sure no problem. You should also have plenty of time to explore the inner wholesale and outer markets in a morning.

or should I skip the auction all together and just get in line for one of these restaurants?

No, the restaurants are open all morning (and some into the afternoon). You have time for both, but you may have to spend some time in line.

Are these restaurants even worth it?

Sushidai and Daiwasushi are some of the more famous ones, but honestly they're are probably all very similar.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/8/16 10:30
Thanks! Does anyone recommend any other comparable restaurants in the area?
by ffedd rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/9/7 01:04
will my shoes get wet? can I be careful?

I'd like to keep on the same shoes all day?
by ffedd rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/9/7 04:15
The inner market is not open to tourists before 9AM these days, so you'll have to stay at the outer market.

To go to the auction or not is totally up to you, but if you go, you'll need to be there at4:30 the latest to secure a spot. The queue at Sushi Dai and Daiwa will be long by the time you finish watching the auction. The queue at Daiwa moves faster cuz they have twice many stools.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tsukiji Fish Market itinerary 2013/9/7 05:38
In early August, I went to Tsukiji ...
As I had an apartment in Tsukishima, I went on foot. I had taken the precaution of arriving at 4:15 thinking be sure to have a place for the tuna auction.
The guard told me that the entries were closed from 3:45 ... Most visitors were groups of Chinese.
I contented myself with a walk in the external market.
When I started to get hungry, I went to Sushidai ... there was more than one hour wait.
Not so easy ...
by fuchan29 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread