Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Australia to Japan - Driver's License Query 2013/9/7 00:54
Hi all,

I will be moving to Japan for an indefinite amount of time and will need to change my current licence to a Japanese one. I've done some research and one criteria of getting this done is that the applicant must be able to prove that he or she stayed in the country where the licence was issued for at least three months after obtaining the licence. In here, lies my first query.

I initially got my full driver's licence October 15, 2012 and I went to Japan to visit my then fiancé for about two and a half weeks on December 20, 2012. That is just abit over two months until I left Australia, but for a holiday. Will this little time away from Australia matter when I change my licence? Obviously I came back and have continued to live in Australia and am currently still residing here at this time. Please let me know your thoughts on this. It is abit confusing for me.

My second query is related to the first one. My licence doesn't have a Date of Issue on it and I've read that an official copy of my driving history record from the RTA will suffice. Other info advise to also bring my passport, and my previous licence which is not a full licence by the way, rather a Provisional one (I upgraded to a full licence October 15, 2012).

I've also read in the Australia Embassy in Tokyo website that if I require a record of movements in and out of Australia to prove that I've resided in Australia for at least three months after my licence was issued, that I need to contact the Immigration Section of the Australian Embassy, Tokyo. Is the record of movements going abit too far? It looks rather troublesome to get. Has anyone had to get a record of movements? or will a simple driving history record do? Please let me know your thoughts on this one too.

Thanks all. Appreciate the useful info given in advance.

RJ :)
by RJ (guest)  

Re: Australia to Japan - Driver's License Query 2013/9/7 20:46
well it seems thatAustralian Embassy,Tokyo clearly explain on you inquiry. http://www.australia.or.jp/en/consular/driving/driving_in_japan.php

I'm not sure about "a record of movements in and out of Australia", go to one of Fuchu, Samezu or Koto testing station in Tokyo with your passport and the other documents, the officer may ask you to bring "a record of movements in and out of Australia" or not. The three month rule normally apply to those Japanese citizens who have gained a driving license in overseas while they are living.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Australia to Japan - Driver's License Query 2013/9/8 12:16
note that the 3 months rule apply to all foreign driving licence, that used for japanese driving licence conversion.
did not matter if you are japanese or gaikokujin.
by 3months for all.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread