Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daisetsuzan 30/9 - 1/10 - is it safe ? 2013/9/16 23:34
I have asked some questions on hiking in this area but so far there is no reply.
I have intention to hike from Asahidake to Kurodake that will take 6 to 8 hrs. I read that it can snow as early as mid-September and some bus service ends at 30 September.
My intention is to see autumn foliage and landscape. I have searched all over the web trying to see any trip report but cannot gather much.
I am worried of the snow or rain.
Can anyone give any advice ?
Or shall I skip that and just do some the short hikes at each end ? Will I miss much better scenery ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: Daisetsuzan 30/9 - 1/10 - is it safe ? 2013/9/17 15:04
There is no way to predict whether there will be snow or rain on September 30 or October 1. You will have to check the trail conditions and weather forecasts later in the days and hours ahead of your hike. But there is a high risk that there will be snow.

If the weather is not good or there is snow, you will have to change plans.

I have intention to hike from Asahidake to Kurodake that will take 6 to 8 hrs.

I would estimate 5 hours from Asahidake to Kurodake. Plus 3 hours to climb Asahidake from the upper ropeway station and one hour to descend from Kurodake to the upper chairlift station. So, from ropeway station to chairlift station, I would calculate around 9 hours. Needless to say: only people who are physically very fit can do such a long hike in a single day. And it requires a very early start. Note the operation times of the ropeways and chairlift. Alternatively, consider spending a night at the Kurodake mountain hut.

It is a difficult hike, and the weather conditions can make it dangerous. Good preparations are required.

Or shall I skip that and just do some the short hikes at each end ? Will I miss much better scenery ?

Unless you are physically very fit, well prepared, and the weather and snow conditions are very good, I don't recommend to do the Asahidake-Kurodake traverse. I recommend shorter hikes. If there is no snow, you can do pretty long hikes, e.g. to Hokkaidake from Sounkyo or to Asahidake or the Susoaidaira Plateau from Asahidake Onsen. Or shorter versions of them.

I personally like the vast interior around the Ohachidaira Caldera in particular (although there are not too many autumn colors), but it is time consuming to get there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan 30/9 - 1/10 - is it safe ? 2013/9/19 12:57
Thank you Uji.

by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread