Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How stroller friendly is a trip to Nara 2013/10/18 10:23
Hi. We will be in Osaka next week with our 2 boys (ages 4 and 2). We will be traveling with strollers, and wonder if we should do a day trip to Nara--how "stroller-friendly" is Nara, and does it still worth a trip if we don't see the temples but only hang out in the park/station area to see the Nara deers?

When we went to Kyoto 7 years ago (without the kids), I vaguely remember the location was not too stroller-friendly (with a lot of stairs). Are the temples in Nara about the same?
by daarthBL (guest)  

Re: How stroller friendly is a trip to Nara 2013/10/18 10:46
We will be traveling with strollers, and wonder if we should do a day trip to Nara--how "stroller-friendly" is Nara

Nara is quite a bit more stroller friendly than Kyoto. It's pretty flat and most things are connected by wide paved paths and there are relatively fewer narrow pathways and stairs than in Kyoto.

and does it still worth a trip if we don't see the temples but only hang out in the park/station area to see the Nara deers?

Sure, with kids especially. Todaiji might also be interesting for them considering it is so big, with the huge buddha, and the pillar that the kids can crawl through.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How stroller friendly is a trip to Nara 2013/10/18 10:48
it is possible to walk from JR Nara station to Todaiji temple in Nara park without walking on stairs.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How stroller friendly is a trip to Nara 2013/10/18 11:15
Yes, but I think it would be much easier to come to the kintestsu station which is a lot closer to the park. From there you can either go through the alley to Sanjo dori which leads up toward the park (you can either go up stairs or there is a path), or walk directly east. as long as you go east, you'll get to the park, you cant miss it. And from the park there are signs everywhere to Todai-ji etc. Just dont put food in your strollers, otherwise you'll have the deer harrassing you.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How stroller friendly is a trip to Nara 2013/11/5 20:39
Another option may be to use one stroller, but with a buggy board for the 4 yr old, or to use a scooter (Some people call them "kickboards". I hope you know what I mean) for the 4 yr old.

We've just come back from 2 weeks in Japan with a 4 yr old, and a stroller would have been a lot more awkward than the scooter that we took. (Besides, our 4 yr old would never go in a stroller now, but of course all children are different.)

We used a strap (like a lead, basically) for the scooter, so when we were in busy streets/stations, etc we could make sure she was right by us and not running away/running into people's heels. And if she was tired, she could just stand on the scooter and one of us could pull her along by the strap.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread