Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/24 23:56
Hello!

I'm currently planning a trip to Japan in late March to early April 2014. One activity I'd really like to do is bike across the Shimanami Kaido, starting in Onomichi and ending in Imabari (and then making my way to Matsuyama by train).

I've done a bit of reading on it already, so I know it can be done in a day. However, I've read that it's also nice to do it over two days in order to see some of the sights. Does anyone know if the sights take a long time to see, or which sights are worth the detour?

I consider myself to be in reasonable health and fitness, although I'll have to train a little on a bike to get used to cycling (luckily, I have some time!)

Thanks!
by aeterna (guest)  

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/25 13:58
My two top recommendations along the way are Kosanji Temple and the Hirayama Ikuo Museum (no detour required):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3480.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3479.html

I managed to do the entire trip including sightseeing at the above mentioned sites within a day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/25 22:30
I started as soon as the bike rental opened and was able to see the sites Uji mentions (Kosanji Temple and the museum) and at the end went to Imabari Castle before returning my rental bike at Imabari Station (I found it more convenient just to cycle to the station rental so that I could take the train from there rather than going to Sunrise Itoyama and waiting for a bus to get to the train station.)

I will say though that I didn't have time to go to any other sites. I wanted to stop at Suigun Castle and Kojoji Temple but there was not enough time. I had to rush through Imabari Castle a bit in order to make it to bike rental by 5 (when it closes).

Don't underestimate the time it takes to cycle. Especially taking into consideration that the rentals are mamacharis (and if you have a backpack or something weighing you down). In addition it can get VERY windy and at least when I was there, I found the wind always seemed to be going AGAINST me. Also, although the roads on the islands are generally nice riding, every bridge requires you to bike (or walk) up very steep roads. Once again, it's tough with the mamacharis, so you may end up walking up to each (or some) of the bridges.

If you really want to see sites or eat and relax along the way, two days is probably better, but if you only have a few places you want to go, one day should be fine.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/26 04:04
If possible I would do it in the other direction. Do Matsuyama first & then go to Imabari & ride from there. You would then have the wind at your back. I rode it that way & felt sorry for the people going the other way. As a bonus you end up in Onomichi which I love. It is a lovely ride in either direction.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/26 04:22
Late Mar to early Apr often wind very strong.
Weather condition not flat watch forecast.
This is not same season but same or more.
http://youtu.be/MF6WLYZzVm0

Also watch mini-bike riders and walkers.
http://youtu.be/tqg9ytTZudU
(mini-bike[under 125cc] cannot on Car road)

Keep left!
by 3md (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/26 05:41
Thanks for the advice so far, everyone.

Good to know about the winds. I'm not concerned about cold weather since I'm from Canada, but winds definitely make cycling harder.

I did, at one point in time in my readings, consider going from Imabari to Onomichi. I decided on the other way because my sister will be traveling with me during the first leg of the trip, which complicates things. It'll be our first time in Japan for both of us, so we'll be hitting all the usual tourist spots on Honshu first before we part ways (my sister will head home, and then I'm planning on visiting Shikoku for about a week). My rough plan is currently to do Tokyo, then Kyoto, then Hiroshima, then to make my way to Shikoku via the Shimanami Kaido. I don't know if there's a logical way of going about these places and then still end up in Imabari to cycle across to Onomichi.

I certainly have a few things to think about...
by aeterna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/26 18:09
If you really want to go the opposite way (from Imabari to Onomichi), it is possible to take a ferry to Matsuyama from Hiroshima. If that is the only place you want to see in Shikoku before going to Imabari, it would probably even save you money.

If you want to see more of Shikoku, I think cycling from Onomichi to Imabari and then circling around (from Ehime to Kochi and then Kochi to Kagawa and onward to Okayama on Honshu) would make more sense. Going from Onomichi to Imabari and then on to Matsuyama gives you the option of relaxing in Dogo Onsen after the long day of biking which many people enjoy.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/27 02:47
I took a ferry from Hiroshima & rode to Imabari from there. But I had my own bike with me and am a club cyclist. That ride is 124km & took me 5:20 Including stopping for lunch on Hakata Island but not for anything else except photos. I would consider the ferry & then a train to Imabari. The ferry ride is very enjoyable. Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/claudius-xiv/6874752406/in/set-7215762960...
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

... 2013/10/28 07:12
Hello!

Hello!

I'm currently planning a trip to Japan in late March to early April 2014.

Sounds nice. Have you posted your full itinerary?

One activity I'd really like to do is bike across the Shimanami Kaido, starting in Onomichi and ending in Imabari (and then making my way to Matsuyama by train).

This is exactly the path that we took.

I've done a bit of reading on it already, so I know it can be done in a day.

Correct.

However, I've read that it's also nice to do it over two days in order to see some of the sights.

Agreed, that's what we did.

Does anyone know if the sights take a long time to see, or which sights are worth the detour?

Depends on which sights you wish to see. We enjoyed stopping at places that seemed interesting and also some of the views from the bridges or near the bridges were very nice also.

We stayed overnight at Setoda, which is where Kosanji Temple is located. We did not book in advance, as we weren't sure how far along we would get. Fortunately, the staff at the tourist office in Setoda were excellent and were able to show us a list of nearby accommodation. We chose one from the list and they phoned and made the booking for us and gave us a map with directions to the accommodation.

I would suggest you should plan to stay overnight in Setoda and I would recommend you book in advance (not like us!). It makes a nice halfway point, and then you can either see Kosanji in the afternoon when you arrive, or see it first thing in the morning before you depart.

We also really enjoyed Matsuyama and Matsuyama Castle was excellent with some great views, cool transport up and down the hill and some nice displays inside including some English which helped.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/28 13:18
Thanks again, everyone.

I'm seriously considering splitting the Shimanami Kaido trip over two days instead of one. This way, I can take a relaxed pace, and if it's windy, I'll probably be tired before I get all the way across so it'll be nice to have a place to stay along the way! I'm definitely not an athlete or a regular cyclist. I think the most I've ridden in a day is probably 20 km (granted, this is in one go with hardly any stopping and on relatively flat ground).

I definitely plan on traveling around Shikoku after the Shimanami Kaido. I've wanted to visit it ever since I learned about the 88 Temple Pilgrimage in university (even though I won't be doing it).

I don't have an itinerary yet - at least, not one that's ready for feedback. My sister accompanying me is a *maybe* at best, and my itinerary will largely be shaped on whether or not she's coming with me and for how long. I'll definitely post it in a few weeks, though, so I can get some feedback on it :)
by aeterna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2013/10/28 15:42
I would second the advice to ride south to north but my reason is that you will have the sun behind you more of the time which means better lighting of the view and less eye strain. I did the ride in one day including a fairly long stop at Kousan-ji when I misplaced my wallet and then I had a long chat with a woman who gave me ice cream.

I still consider it the best single day of riding I've ever done. If I ever get back there I would do it again over 2 days in order to have more time to stop and enjoy views and beaches.
by katakanadian rate this post as useful

Re: Advice about biking the Shimanami Kaido? 2014/1/7 13:28
What did you do with your luggage when doing this bike ride?
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread