Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura and Nikko 2013/11/13 16:53
Dear friends,

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I'll be visitng Japan for 14 days from the December the 22 to the 4th of January 2014.

I'll be accommodated in Tokyo from the 22 to the 26 of December and from the 31 of December to the 4th of January.

My question is the following.

Since I want to use Tokyo as platform to visit by train Kamakura, Nikko, Hakone,.. in which of the these days would I find the trains and the locations mentioned above less crowded, ?

Before New years or after new years ?

I have a Japan Rail pass for 14 days, but I really have no clue to when it's better to go to each location.

Best wishes.

Xavier.

by Xavicat14  

Re: Kamakura and Nikko 2013/11/14 14:22
Can't help you for the best times to see Nikko, Kamakura and Hakone.. however I suggest you try to exchange your 14 days JR pass for a 7 days one.

Even then you may not get your money worth.

Hakone by JR (Japan Railways)
With JR trains you can only get as far as Odawara, from where you will have to use non-JR trains or buses into the Hakone area.

By JR Tokaido Shinkansen you can access Odawara in about half an hour from Tokyo or Shinagawa Station (about 3500 yen one way, fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass, but not covered by the JR East Pass and JR Kanto Area Pass), but note that only Kodama trains and selected Hikari trains stop at Odawara Station.

Alternatively, you can access Odawara from Tokyo in about 70-90 minutes by local or rapid trains on the JR Tokaido Main Line (stopping at Tokyo, Shimbashi and Shinagawa Stations) or the JR Shonan Shinjuku Line (stopping at Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibuya Stations) for about 1450 yen one way. These trains are covered by the Japan Rail Pass, JR East Pass and JR Kanto Area Pass.

By Odakyu Railway
Odakyu Railway operates between Tokyo's Shinjuku Station and Hakone-Yumoto Station. The one way journey by the "Romance Car" limited express takes about 85 minutes and costs 2020 yen. By slower express trains (kyuko), the journey takes about two hours, requires one transfer at Odawara Station, but costs only 1150 yen.

Odakyu also offers the Hakone Free Pass, which includes the round trip from Tokyo to Hakone and unlimited use of selected trains, cablecars, ropeways, boats and buses in the Hakone area.

Hakone Free Pass
From Shinjuku Station:
2-day pass 5,000 Yen 3-day pass 5,500 Yen
From Odawara Station (if you take JR to go there)
2 days 3,900 Yen 3 days 4,400 Yen
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread