Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jozankei & Otaru 2014/1/6 17:21
Hello!

Is it possible to go to both Jozankei and Otaru on the same day? I am looking at 7 Feb.

Assuming that I take the Jozankei Day Trip package (http://jozankei.jp/en/access/), it means I'll depart Sapporo at 11am and alight at Jozankei Jinyamae to go to Shogetsu Grand Hotel for my bath (available from 1pm). After a short walk in that area, I'll leave by taking the 3pm bus back to Sapporo and take train to Otaru. Looks like a very rushed trip yeah? If I do not take this package, I would take Jotetsu buses to Jozankei area for 75mins, JPY700/way. Cost of using the outdoor bath is another issue. Is the "Jozankei Hot Springs Yikitouro" worth the trip? Where exactly would this be held? After which, how do I go Otaru? I believe it would be dark by the time I reach Otaru, and might only have time for the "Otaru Snow Light Path Festival".

Would you suggest that I do not combine these in a day? I would only have 3 full days in Sapporo and hope to spend time wisely.

Thank you.
by mee (guest)  

Re: Jozankei & Otaru 2014/1/7 08:57
Yes, it is technically possible to combine the two, but I would not recommend it.

If you really want to do it, I would at least recommend an earlier start to the day than 11am. Buses between Sapporo are quite frequent and start running much earlier than 11am. On the other hand, many baths don't open until after noon. I personally always think that hot spring resorts are best visited in overnight trips. By doing so in a busy daytrip, the journey loses its meaning of relaxation.

Also, you will obviously have only limited time in Otaru.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Jozankei & Otaru 2014/1/7 09:07
Thank you, Uji san!

Given this limited time that I could spare in Sapporo, probably I'll just stick to a day trip to Otaru then.

Thank you once again.
by mee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jozankei & Otaru 2014/1/8 13:21
It takes about 45-1 hour on a train from Sapporo to Otaru so you would be rushed for time if you wanted to see anything there during the daylight. It gets dark earlier during the winter months so bear that in mind too.
by Greenman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jozankei & Otaru 2014/1/8 13:24
Thank you, Greenman!

I plan to leave Sapporo for Otaru, after a visit to the market :)
by mee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread