Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/21 04:59
Ciao. From Narita airport we move to Yokohama. Then we intend visit the town and go for a daytrip to Kamakura. Following destination will be Nagoya by jr train. WHERE IT SHOULD BE BETTER TO BOOK THE HOTEL? Near JR Station or it's not so bad to stay in another area such as, for example, the bay / port...?
by Gianni (guest)  

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/21 13:31
I'm not familiar, but looking at the map Shin-Yokohama does not appear to be a happening area. You might consider sending most of your luggage to Nagoya from the airpot via Takkyubin, then staying where ever you like in Yokohama.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/21 16:29
Grazie (thanks) for your reply. I think that the Narita Express direct train from the airport arrives at "normal" JR station not the shin-yokohama one. The closest hotel is Sheraton but it looks to be expensive and not Worth the cost...
by gianni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/21 23:16
Ah, I forgot - you would come in at Yokohama Station and take the shinkansen from Shin-Yokohama. Staying near Yokohama Station would be convenient then.

I don't think the bay area hotels would be any cheaper, but you could take a bus directly from the airport - http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/minatomirai.html . Buses also go to other spots in Yokohama.

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 01:01
Grazie. In holding the JR pass I think that the bus from Narita is NOT included. So we use the NEX train. I'll check an hotel near JR station, not the Sheraton! Best regards,

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 01:48
NRT-[NEX 60min]-JR Tokyo stn-[NEX 30min]-JR Yokohama stn
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/index.html

Between Tokyo(mid area) and Yokohama not so far
http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/eng/travel/transportation/getting-...
http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/ja/tourism/access/img/railway.gif
[‰‘•l:Yokohama,“Œ‹ž:Tokyo,VhFShinjuku,V‰‘•l:Shin-Yokohama]
and trains operate still a lot over 11:00pm.
So not need stay only Yokohama.

But
http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/eng/travel/accommodations/
by LNC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 03:42
That's a good point. Not sure what budget hotels are available in Yokohama, but Shinagawa would certainly be a convenient alternative.

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 06:44
If it were me, I would at least look to see if I could get a bargain rate at one of the three big hotels out at Minato Mirai. (Royal Park, InterContinental, and Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu). The location isn't perfect, but the rates are sometimes outstanding, if you want a nicely appointed, decent-size Western style hotel room with a good view. You can get to and from Yokohama Station in a few short minutes, although the walk from JR Sakuragicho Station to any of the hotels takes additional time. (The Royal Park is the closest.) Getting to Shin-Yokohama for your train to Nagoya is a little more time-consuming, but still manageable. I've stayed at two of the three (Royal Park and Tokyu) and enjoyed the rooms and the views very much.

I feel the same way you do about the Sheraton in Yokohama. I've looked at that property many times, and it always seems overpriced to me, compared to other hotels in Yokohama. I guess they don't need to discount much since they are essentially the only "nice" hotel that close to Yokohama Station. The three big hotels at Minato Mirai, on the other hand, have to compete extremely aggressively. I'm surprised all of them have managed to survive as long as they have.

If one of your nights is a Saturday, then don't bother with Minato Mirai, though. Prices on Saturday are nothing to get excited about. If you are on a budget you'll probably have to settle for a business hotel.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 06:57
Grazie (thanks) Uma. The (small) problem that I am trying to solve it's that we arrive at Yokohama after a long direct fly from Italy. We stay there afternoon / evening then the day after we would like to visit Kamakura returning to Yokohama. The following day at the beginning of the afternoon we go to Nagoya... This is why I think that it's better to stay near the JR station (and looking for an hotel good but not so expensive as Sheraton...) Ciao.

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 07:11
Are you trying to visit Yokohama or just Kamakura?

Re: 2 nights in Yokohama, where we should stay? 2014/1/22 07:35
Near JR Yokohama Station there just aren't that many good hotels to choose from, unfortunately. I have spent time searching in the past and never found anything terribly exciting. Around Sakuragicho, and farther out (Kannai, Motomachi, Bashamichi) there are a lot more hotels, including some mid-range tourist hotels and fairly nice business hotels. But if you're looking for something like the Sheraton, at a better price AND close to Yokohama Station, I expect you probably won't find it. (Hopefully somebody else will have a better suggestion.)

Staying at Shinagawa actually isn't a bad idea, if you want to get to your hotel quickly that first night.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread