Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo 5 days and Hakone Travel Pass Question 2014/3/19 01:11
Hi all,

Sorry if this seems a silly question but it will be the first time travelling to Tokyo or Japan itself, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Arriving this Saturday and leaving next Wednesday. First night will be in Tokyo then will spend next day Sunday for one night in Hakone and back to Tokyo on Monday afternoon.

My question is regarding the travel passes available to save money or most efficient way.

Whats the cheapest way to get around including to Hakone? I understand I can get a special foreigner Suica/NEX pass from the airport which will be round trip for 5500 into Shinjuku and also includes enough credit to travel on JR to Odawara in Hakone and the use of non-JR transport within Hakone.

Or, would it be cheaper to get the 5500 and save the 2000 or so credit for travelling within Tokyo city, and buy the Hakone Free Pass at Shinjuku station for 5000 which includes Odakyu line to Hakone and maybe pay the extra 870 for the romance car.

Whats the best way please? Im wondering if buying the Suica/HEX special pass will still mean I need to top-up and pay for more transport fees within Hakone including the return JR trip back to Tokyo - and this cost would exceed just buying the Hakone Free Pass for 5000, which would probably make more sense.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

AC
by AC2014  

Re: Tokyo 5 days and Hakone Travel Pass Question 2014/3/19 16:16
Just wondering if you're staying at Shinjuku?
by CL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo 5 days and Hakone Travel Pass Question 2014/3/19 22:51
Yes, staying Shinjuku first night seeing I need to go to Hakone from Shinjuku. Will be staying at Roppongi when I return to Tokyo.
by AC2014 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo 5 days and Hakone Travel Pass Question 2014/3/19 23:30
In my opinion, You might want to be purchased both Suica/NEX pass and Hakone Free Pass.
The reason is this:
Amount of money available at the time of purchase of suica is 1500 yen, the amount is insufficient to round trip between Shinjuku and Hakone Yumoto.
By purchasing the Hakone free pass, in order to sightseeing in Hakone, be boarding a bus, pleasure boat, cable car, ropeway in is possible.

Have a nice trip!
by passerby168 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread