Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Fuji in May (17-18th) 2014 2014/3/31 02:31
Hi

My friends and I are experienced climbers, planning to climb this May, 17-18th, 2014. Could somebody advise which hut we can stay along Yoshida trail? As it's off season, will it be open? or is there anyone I can contact to open one hut? We have 4 persons, we do not need food, just shelter, we have our own sleeping bags.

How is the snow condition in May up there?

We need to inform the authorities? If we do, will they provide rescue if any accident happens? No?
by SamieVu  

Re: Climbing Fuji in May (17-18th) 2014 2014/3/31 10:16
No huts are open. The trails are closed. There is still lots of snow, strong winds and a danger of avalanches. The local authorities are tired of irresponsible winter climbers. Here are some more details:
https://www.city.fujiyoshida.yamanashi.jp/div/english/html/winter_clim...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji in May (17-18th) 2014 2014/3/31 10:25
Hi Uji

I do not appreciate your rude reply. As I stated in the question, I'm looking for advices from Guides which you are not one obviously.

We are responsible enough to consider reporting to the authorities which is why I asked the question in the first place. You don't seem to understand this question of mine and are not competent to answer so please do not misinform others.
by SamieVu rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji in May (17-18th) 2014 2014/3/31 10:29
I am not saying you are irresponsible. Just stating the authorities are tired of irresponsible climbers. There are lots of them.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji in May (17-18th) 2014 2014/4/1 07:45
The only hut open at this time will be the Satogoya mountain hut located at the Yoshida 5th station. This is about a 30 minute walk from the Kawaguchi-ko 5th station or you can climb from the base of Mt. Fuji via the Yoshida trail and get here in 2 hours or so from umagaeshi. During the off season, Satogoya runs strictly by reservation base only. You will want to contact them before hand to make sure you have a place to stay. They provide bedding so you won't need to bring along your sleeping bag.

Please visit the Fujiyoshida english website and click on the off season tab. Here you can find a pdf or word copy of a climbing plan form, which should be released to the local police before attempting the climb, in case of emergency. You can also find the number for Satogoya on the fujiyoshida website under the mountain hut tab.
by FujiMountainGuide rate this post as useful

reply to this thread