Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/3/31 21:08
How does one get reliably from an address in travel guide to a location on some map, in all of Japan?

This might seem like a very stupid question, indeed, but right now I am struggling with exactly that.

Given "32 Nishi-shinyashiki-ageya-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto" (as found in "Cool Japan" by Sumiko Kajiyama), what is the best way to find this address for the purpose of planning an itinerary - at all!

This is what I have tried:
* Use MapsWithMe (paid version - which uses the free OpenStreetMaps database) with offline search - does not find the address, but at least finds Shimogyo-ku (which is large)
* Use "GPS Navigation & Maps" (paid version for Japan - which uses the free OpenStreetMaps database) with offline search - does not find anything but Kyoto; the search functionality is not useful
* Use Google Maps for Android - only finds Shimogyo-ku
* Use MapFactor: GPS Navigation (free version, data based on OSM) - only finds Kyoto

Now creativity sets in - somehow TripAdvisor on Android knows about "Sumiya" and shows an embedded map. And somehow, then, it is possible to identify "Nishishinyashiki Ageyacho" on Google Maps, which is close enough for planning purposes.

This is just one example, I have others.

Any suggestions for locating addresses on a map reliably - and, preferably, using one of the offline maps applications listed above?

Alas, I know almost nothing about Japanese language.
by duckamuck  

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/1 08:41

* Use "GPS Navigation & Maps" (paid version for Japan - which uses the free OpenStreetMaps database)

Have you tried phone number (if you could get it) ? Whenever I travel with rental car in Japan, I just enter "the phone number" for location in the GPS, and works all the time.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/1 11:26
Well.... its easier to tell you if you have a starting point....

google maps does a good job with public transportation.... JR trains can pretty much get you anywhere... and if can't, then busses can.

addresses in japan are tricky.

32 Nishi-shinyashiki-ageya-cho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto

the "ward" is Shimogyo-ku (ku = ward).. kinda like a town or area

the street is Nishishinyashiki Ageyacho (at least Ageyacho is :P) you'll understand more once you deal with it a little... cho is similar to a block... kinda :P.... I found the address you were looking for on Google maps all you need is the starting point and you are ready to go

hXXps://www.google.com/maps/place/Nishishinyashiki+Ageyacho/@34.9919858,135.7433239,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x60010622b877fce5:0x585490d6b11ff12d?hl=en (change the XX to tt)
by fuzzenutz rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/1 11:29
well... let me ask.. how are you getting around? car? public transportation?
by fuzzenutz rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/1 14:20
The phone number works well within Google Maps (and only there).

The search term "kyoto (075) 3510024" immediately zooms to the Simuya attraction in Kyoto. (http://www16.ocn.ne.jp/~sumiyaho/)

Cool - thank you!

I will try to come up with more examples which do not work with the phone number trick :)

Quite a few challenges might be due to OpenStreetMaps and the Android client apps which I am using to really supporting my searches in English / Romaji; I still need to learn to use http://diddlefinger.com/ in non-trivial scenarios.

@fuzzenutz: I expect public transport and walking to be my primary modes of travelling. Cycling is something I am aware of, but not actively pursuing at the moment.

Upon arrival in Tokyo, I will get my driver's licence translated into Japanese so that I also have the option to rent a car or scooter.

One of the items dearest to my heart will be a phablet-style smartphone with with Japanese SIM card, with all kinds of online and offline maps and routing, exceptionally good GPS, travel guides, online/offline translator , and Japanese language "drawpad" ;)
by duckamuck rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/1 22:13
It seems Google Map can handle 7-digit postal codes for areas in Japan if they are given in the most common 000-0000 format.
The area Nishi-shin-yashiki Ageya-cho in Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City can be located on Google Map with key words "600-8828" and "Japan."
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/2 01:46
Please try to serch in this address. It worked on google map.

Kyoto shimogyo-ku nishishinyashiki ageyacho 32

I found if you enter "kyoto" first and "shimo" next, then you will see a several city name lists starting with "shimo".
If you find "shimogyo-ku" in the list, you choose it. Then, you enter "nishi" and so on. So, you can find the correct for searching address in English.

I hope you understand what I wrote as I am a Japanese and not fluent English speaker.
by RedQ rate this post as useful

Re: Address in travel guide to location on map? 2014/4/2 03:27
@RedQ - thank you very much, this was a very clear and lucid explanation!

I experimented a bit and it seems that the key component for success is to continue *typing* out the letters, and to never use the completion items that Google Maps uses on Android.

So basically the typing goes from the largest area ("Japan") via the city/prefecture ("Kyoto") to the ward ("Shimogyo-ku" - needs to be typed! in full) to the chome ... and just keep typing. In the end I literally typed in

japan kyoto shimogyo-ku nishishinyashiki ageyacho 32

all driven by the feedback offered by Google Maps auto-suggestion. And that resolved perfectly!

So I tried

japan iwate hiraizumi hanadate 44

as well ("Hirazumi Cultural Heritage Center") - perfect! The phone trick (0191-46-4012 does not work there).

And also

japan uji uji-higashiuchi 45-26

which resolves perfectly to the Tale of Genji Museum location (http://www.uji-genji.jp/), confirmed also against the map at http://www.uji-genji.jp/en/access/

All the examples show that I tried applying the rule from broadest to narrowest specification without thinking. So no building numbers in the middle, just "stupidly" (or mechanically) narrowing down.

Wow.
by duckamuck rate this post as useful

reply to this thread