Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 12:55
I'm in Japan now and I need some cash. I read that the ATMs are a good way but even though I called my bank my debit and credit card VISA aren't working at the 7/11 ATMs. Debits don't read at all and the VISA, both of mine, say it's invalid.

I called my banks too a few weeks ago to notify them I'd be using my cards.

I'n strapped for cash and not sure what to do now.
by Darren B  

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 13:46
Have you tried the postal atms? They're your next best bet.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 15:35
Find a Citibank ATM
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 20:57
I really feel for you. I had the same problem with my debit card. Luckily I had cash on me during my trip.
by kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 23:09
I see you are from Canada. Just out of interest (as a fellow Canuck) what bank's cards are you trying to use?
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/1 23:13
Oh this worries me. I'm arriving in Japan on Sunday and had been planning on using my ATM card (Visa/Plus) at the 7/11s too... I have starting cash, but nervous now.

I hope you're able to find something Darren, please keep us informed! Have you tried the post office yet?
by SilverWordz rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/2 03:33
post offices should accept all international VISA cards and foreign banks such as citibank should too.

There's usually a post office in every city and town so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. They are usually marked on every map.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where can I use my debit cards? 2014/4/2 03:37
Darren, I had that problem once--found out later it was because it was nighttime in Canada and, by a fluke, they were doing maintenance on the system.

I went to a bank and asked for a cash advance on my credit card.
But check again with another 7-11, and try the Post-Office.

Could it be also that you made a mistake in entering the amount?
Once I tried several times to get 30 000 yens. The machine kept sending the card back. Then I realized that I was supposed to enter 3 only, as the machine gave only 10 000 yen notes...I was asking for 30 000 banknotes of 10 000 yen each!
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread