Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/4/14 10:29
I have a business trip to Sapporo in late Sept. that I am able to add on a few days of vacation. I have been to Japan twice and I am mostly thinking of spending these days in the Japanese Alps. However, the short amount of time and transit connections have left me unsure of my plan. I'd appreciate feedback on my current plan and/or suggestions for something better to do with my short vacation time.

On my first trip I went to Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima. I also have been to Hokkaido before and did a lot of hiking in Daisetsuzan, Rebun/Rishiri, Shikotsu and Toya NPs, besides a little time in Sapporo.

I would like to see something new and I like a mix of city and nature. My time in Sapporo, I think, will pretty much satisfy the city requirement, so I am mostly thinking of more nature-focused destinations. I thought of Eastern Hokkaido (Shiretoko and Akan NPs), but that seems too similar to my previous trip. I also thought of Kyoto, which I loved and did not see all of, with a side trip to Mt. Koya. However, I still am most attracted to the Alps.

My biggest constraints are that my arrival on Sat. 9/20 is, at the earliest, at 14:00 at Narita and I need to be in Sapporo by the end of the day on Wed. 9/24.

My current plan is as follows:

9/20 Sat.: Arrive Narita 14:00, N'EX to Shinjuku, Super Azusa to Matsumoto (Overnight in Matsumoto)

9/21 Sun.: Visit Matsumoto castle in the morning and then transit to Kamikochi around lunch time for hiking the Myojin Pond to Taisho Pond loop; transit on to Takayama (Overnight Takayama)

9/22 Mon.: Spend full day in Takayama (Overnight Takayama)

9/23 Tue.: Morn. bus to Shirakawa-go; spend 2-3 h in Ogimachi; spend rest of day in Kanazawa (Overnight in Kanazawa)

9/24 Wed.: Spend day in Kanazawa; fly out of Komatsu airport at 17:00 for Sapporo (transfer at Haneda) (Overnight in Sapporo)

Any input is much appreciated; thanks in advance!
by tibs (guest)  

Re: 4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/4/21 22:02
I guess I can boil down my original post to a single question:

Is my 2nd day (9/21 Sun.) plan feasible or am I trying to do too much?

9/21 Sun.: Visit Matsumoto castle in the morning and then transit to Kamikochi around lunch time for hiking the Myojin Pond to Taisho Pond loop; transit on to Takayama (Overnight Takayama)
by tibs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/4/22 01:00
You might consider the Alpen Route for days 21 & 22. You can find details with a search.
It is a spectacular trip over the Alps to Toyama.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/4/22 10:17
Thanks for the feedback, Dick! That is a good suggestion as it looks like I will be there during the early part of the fall foliage.

I so much wish I had more time for the Alps as there is a lot to do and I am having to make hard choices.

Re: 4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/4/26 23:15
21/9 schedule is bit too packed. Kamikochi is a really nice place to spend more time there, since you like hiking. Why don't spend a day in Kamikochi (overnite would be nice) and then the next day do the Alpine Route from Matsumoto to Toyama, and fly out from Toyama Airport?
by Suet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day Japan Alps itinerary review 2014/5/2 03:14
Thanks for the advice, Suet!
I am now thinking that I will spend my second night in Kamikochi as I agree that 9/21 was too rushed as originally planned. This way I can still see the Matsumoto castle briefly in the morning but have time to see Kamikochi better and take a hike. Also, everything I've read says the park is very nice in the evening and morning when the daytrippers are gone.
I still want to see Takayama and Kanazawa so I will leave on the third morning for Takayama and follow the rest of my original itinerary.
Thanks!

reply to this thread