Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

GW Kansai advice - with/without Kumano Kodo? 2014/4/21 14:18
Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning my Golden Week trip to Kansai. I came up with two itineraries, but I have a hard time deciding which one would be better (considering available time, weather, sights, etc.). I have to reserve the accommodation in the next 1-2 days; I hope there are still some available places to stay at. So I would be grateful for your suggestions!

The first 3 days are fixed: I will be in Kobe, Osaka and Nara, 1 day each. After that I will have 7.5 days and I'm thinking, whether I should rather do

Option 1: Sights south of Nara (Horyu-ji, Toshodai-ji, Yakushi-ji, Kashihara, Asukai, Sakurai), Koya-san, 4.5 days Kyoto, incl. 1-day trip to e.g. Uji, Ishiyama-dera, Koka, or Hikone, Nagahama.

or Option 2: Koya-san (or maybe skip it in this itinerary), Kumano Kodo: Nakahechi route from Tanabe/Takijiri-oji to Hongu in 2 days, spend second night in Yunomine onsen, on the 3rd day do boat trip down to Shingu, see Hayatama Taisha, travel down to Nachi. On the 4th day see Kushimoto/Kii-Oshima and get back to Kyoto in the evening. If I go to Koya-san, I would have 1.5 days in Kyoto, if I skip it, around 3.

Option 1 is more relaxed and I would have time to explore the Kyoto/Nara area, incl. Koya-san. But Kumano Kodo sounds very exciting and I definitely want to do it once.

When is the best time to hike the Kumano Kodo? What do you think about the itineraries? Which one is better in terms of sights and experience? Any other ideas?

Thank you very much!

PS: I'm in Japan for 1 year, so I will surely return to Kyoto when family/friends are visiting me (i.e. I can see the things I miss now), but they probably will not want to hike for 3-4 days in the mountains. On the other hand, I could try to take another holiday and return to the area just for doing the Kumano Kodo in the late summer or fall.
by erjp  

Re: GW Kansai advice - with/without Kumano Kodo? 2014/4/21 16:53
I've been to all the places you've mentioned and I don't mind busy schedules. Both itineraries sound great and while I'm a huge fan of the Kumano Kodo (I visited in autumn: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/kumano-kodo/ ), I think I would go for option 1.
You have more diversity of castles, shrines and temples in the first option and I think you'd probably enjoy that one a bit more.

If you're in Japan for a whole year, then going to Kumano Kodo in autumn instead is a great idea. :)
Probably less crowded and a much better experience then.

As for booking hotels, you might struggle with finding something for around May 2-6. The other days should be fine. Good luck! :)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: GW Kansai advice - with/without Kumano Kodo? 2014/4/21 21:01
Actually a colleague of mine told me the same today, that hiking the Kumano Kodo in autumn would be better. So I'll most probably go with option 1.

Btw. I follow your posts on Facebook. Good stuff!
Vielen Dank für den Ratschlag und viele Grüße ;)
by erjp rate this post as useful

Re: GW Kansai advice - with/without Kumano Kodo? 2014/4/22 08:55
Good choice. I'm sure you'll love it!

Oh, das freut mich! Danke! :D
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread