Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/7 18:03
Hello, my family and I are traveling to Kyoto in a few days and we were hoping to visit the imperial palace there this Saturday morning, May 10.

The online conditions confuse me a little, though. It says we have to apply beforehand. Is that just for a tour or for entry in general? Because we'd like to just look around but not necessarily go through a tour.

Is it allowed that we just enter without taking a tour? And if so, do we still have to apply beforehand (and how much longer before the visit day should we do it)?

Thanks so much!
by CuriousPlate1992 (guest)  

Re: Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/7 18:20
Is it allowed that we just enter without taking a tour?

Yes, but there isn't much to see if not on a tour as the different properties are surrounded by high walls. Check out this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3917.html

And if so, do we still have to apply beforehand (and how much longer before the visit day should we do it)?

You can apply on the day of at the household agency office on the northwest area of the grounds, but it can be risky as the tours fill up fast. If you are flexible and don't care too much about when and what you'll see then last minute signups are fine. Otherwise, I'd recommend heading there first thing when you arrive and then planning your days around what you were able to book.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/7 18:56
Got it!! Thanks! :)
by CuriousPlate1992 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/7 21:50
yllwsmrf's response pretty much hits the nail on the head. Just to add a slight elucidation: you can visit the park surrounding the actual palace compound without signing up for a tour, but you can only visit the palace itself as part of a tour.

If you don't join the tour, your views will be limited to this:

http://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2013/07/14/field-report-ky...

If you join the tour, you'll also get to see this:

http://animeaffairs.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/japan-2009-highlights-kyo...

Cheerio.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/8 02:03
I signed up for the tour on the 12th, I have to take the train in from Osaka to make it because most of the other days were already booked up. Good luck!
by Amyranth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto imperial palace visit conditions 2014/5/8 04:52
You have to take the English guided (free) group tour, one about at 10am and another at 2pm. The security is tight and you won't be able to walk around by yourselves.
If there is a room, you can go early or sign up in the morning and go in the afternoon. Take your passport.
Don't take any Japanese with you as they can not go in on the same day.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread