Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/19 12:22
hi.

i wish to visit Hokkaido but am not sure where to start.

i will be going from korea but which airport should i land.

by outpacer (guest)  

Re: where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/19 16:17
Well, where do you want to go? How long are you visiting? Is it your first time?

Look through the pages at Japan-Guide about Hokkaido and choose the places you most want to see. Is it spread around the country, or all in one place? What's the closest airport to your sightseeing spots? What airports can you fly to? Can you fly in and out of different ones? Are you planning other means of transportation (rental car, trains, other flights) to get to sightseeing spots? etc. etc. etc.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/19 16:25
If you are flying to Hokkaido,it is more than likely that you will arrive at New Chitose Airport, which is the International Airport for Sapporo.
Sapporo and the surrounding area has lots to see and do. It is famous for its winter Ice Festival in February each year
by Jordum rate this post as useful

Re: where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/19 16:37
hi. yes this is the 1st time to japan. i have choose Hokkaido as the 1st stop. i can plan for 3 to 4 days or up to 1 week. i do not want to be ambitious so i will just visit only Hokkaido. i have read about the places in Hokkaido but do not know where to start. Sapporo or hakodate? i understand that chitose is the international airport but i see the map hakodate is at the bottom. so i was thinking does it make sense to start from the below and go the way up.

i wish to consider driving or trains. which i think since is in just Hokkaido just car and trains should be just fine.

i will be flying from Singapore to korea and from korea to Hokkaido. but i did not know to fly from seoul or busan.

few places i can consider are furano, Sapporo, otaru, hakodate, lake toya. i actually wish to visit wakkanai as that is the end of Hokkaido. but i read the post there might be nothing to see. so i left it out.

thank you very much for the help.
by outpacer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/20 08:57
I'm planning a similar trip in September for 1 week.

This is my current itinerary, maybe it will give you some ideas:

The first day we will be flying into Sapporo from Tokyo because it is a LOT cheaper than flying to Hakodate. We will rent a car and drive straight to Hakodate. On the way we will go past Mt Yotei and Lake Toya.

We will spend a night in Hakodate then drive to Noboribetsu and spend a night at an onsen.

The next day we are driving to Furano and spend a night there.

The fourth day we drive to Sapporo and return the rental car.

Fifth day visit Otaru, possibly Yoichi Nikka Whisky Distillery.

Days 6-8 we're spending in an around Sapporo then fly out of Sapporo.

If we flew into Hakodate, I would miss out on the drive from Sapporo. I think the interesting part would be the journey, not the destination. We want to avoid the toll road expressway and see lots of small towns and Michinoekis.

From what I have researched it is recommended you rent a car, but you can get to all the places I mention by bus or train but in Sapporo it's better to travel by public transport.
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: where to start in hokkaido 2014/5/20 09:11
thank u very much. do you know if driving in February is fine?
by outpacer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread