Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 08:05
Helloes,
I came up with some questions about Tofukuji temple in Nara. Last time I went to Nara (Oct 2013) I saw some kind of way to contribute to the "reconstruction" of the Golden hall building. There were pieces of building material like wooden pieces, bricks and so I think with a price tag. Explanation in Japanese. I did not dare take a picture of it nor had the ability to ask anyone but I will return to Nara in a few weeks.

Is it possible this is some kind of contribution? I doubt they actually sell pieces like that. Pricetags said perhaps 1000 yen and more. Anyone else seen this too?

Next question. i noticed on their Japanese webpage you can become a member of some sort, probably only Japanese residents though. Anyone knows what kind of member this is? Link:
http://www.kohfukuji.com/member/guide.html

Thanks in advance!
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 09:46
Tofukuji is in Kyoto. Do you mean Kofukuji?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4101.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 10:14
Oh dear, I need more vitamins. My brain is in a dim... I make so much confusions. Kofukuji is correct. Thank you.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 10:42
Sometimes when they reconstruct temples or shrines, they'll solicit donations from the public in the form of building materials. If you contribute, say 1000 yen for a roof tile, it will be used in the construction, and that's one less tile the temple has to spring for. Sometimes they'll even engrave your name etc. on it so you're actually kinda part of the temple, which is cool. I think that's usually only for the more expensive donations, but of course it depends on the temple.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 11:20
Yeah, we wrote on roof tiles for Todai-ji when we were there with a Japanese family back in December 2012, which were about 1000JPY each
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 18:01
That sounds interesting. I will see if it is still possible when I return. Are there any more temples that ask for contributions like that? I read of several temple buildings being reconstructed in Japan from the JapanGuide information. I been to one of the temples in Nikko (by the dragon fountain) but cant remember any contribution though.

Did you write name with pencil or perhaps ink brush when at Todaji?

Would it be possible (hard question) for me with limited vocabulary to contribute? "Kono (piece) ni namae o kakete mo ii desu ka?"
It would feel really awkward if I asked "Kore wa nandesu ka?" or "Kore wa nan no tame ni desu ka?" and the priest told me a lot in Japanese and I would not understand if it is for contributions or not.

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 19:07
It was an ink brush! We wrote in english and our Japanese friends wrote in kanji because the daughter is skilled with caligraphy (sp?). They had a table out near the temple entrance where you could "buy" the tiles, but I think that our friends did all of the talking...
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tofukuji (Nara) questions 2014/6/17 19:51
I managed to find info on the contribution, bottom of the page:

http://www.kohfukuji.com/kanjin/rebuild.html

reply to this thread