Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/24 12:14
Hi,we'll be travelling with a 6month old baby. Just need some advice on few things;
1. Which will be best, Sobu line or narita express
2. The difference in Green car and reserved car
3. Do we need tickets for the baby

I read the Sobu sen goes directly to Ofuna as Yokosuka Sen. Want something cost effective too.
Please help out. Thanks!
by Ray D (guest)  

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/24 13:01
1. Which will be best, Sobu line or narita express

Definitely the Narita Express, which is direct, faster, and cheaper with the discounted NEX Tokyo Direct tickets for 1500 yen.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_nex.html

2. The difference in Green car and reserved car

Green cars are the first class cars and a higher level than regular reserved cars when available.

3. Do we need tickets for the baby

No, kids under 6 travel free with an adult.

I read the Sobu sen goes directly to Ofuna as Yokosuka Sen. Want something cost effective too.

Yes, but in this case the discounted NEX Tokyo Direct Ticket turns the faster express into the budget option as well.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/24 22:20
Thanks so much for the info.

Another question., the link says NEX goes to Yokohama but we're travelling up to Ofuna. Can we still travel up to Ofuna in the same train at the same price, \1500?
by Ray D (guest) rate this post as useful

NRT to Ofuna 2014/6/25 00:46
The difference in Green car and reserved car

Regarding "Narita Express" and Shinkansen trains, I suppose Ordinary-Class reserved-seat cars are enough for most travelers including babies.

Green Cars in JR Ltd. Express and Shinkansen trains are designed for a higher-class service compared to Ordinary-Class services available on the same route.
Green Car seats require reservation. Unlike an Ordinary-Class reserved-seat car, a Green charge is required even when a passenger is just in a Green Car not using any seat.

yllwsmrf: Green cars are the first class cars

Sorry for nitpicking, but Green Cars are ranked not at the first class; Gran Class on JR-East Shinkansen is the first class.

Do we need tickets for the baby?

When the baby solely uses a reserved seat, a child rate applies; a foreign baby can travel with a child-rate NfEX Tokyo Direct Ticket (750 yen).
All seats of "Narita Express" trains require reservation.

Will the baby the only little kid (roughly under 6) among the travelers? If so, when he/she and an accompanying adult share one reserved seat, he/she can travel free of railroad fees.

If you travel back to NRT, please note that because there is no discount ticket on JR rides back to NRT.

Have you considered whether a rail pass can be good for your itinerary?

the link says NEX goes to Yokohama but we're travelling up to Ofuna.

You find Ofuna left below Yokohama in the route map, at the end of the "Narita Express" route.
Some regular "Narita Express" trains run to Ofuna.
There are some extra "Narita Express" trains scheduled to run to Yokosuka, making a stop at Ofuna on the way.
Or, you can take a "Narita Express" train bound for Yokohama then take a Local / Rapid / Special Rapid train using the same platform to Ofuna; in that case a NfEX Tokyo Direct Ticket can be valid on the whole route unless you get outside ticket gates of Yokohama Station.

Your JR station in NRT depends on your terminal, 1 or 2. (Also Keisei Electric Railway has a station in each of the two NRT terminals.)

Which will be best, Sobu line or Narita express

"Narita Express" is not a line name but a name of a Ltd. Express service of JR-East.

JR Sobu Line has two ways in Tokyo, one is via Akihabara Station for Local trains, another is via Tokyo Station for Rapid and Ltd. Express trains. All JR trains connecting NRT and Tokyo Station run on Sobu Line between Sakura Station (which "Narita Express" trains skip) and Tokyo Station.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

P. S.: minor correction and supplement 2014/6/25 00:54
Let me delete "because" in the middle of my previous message.

How is your flight scheduled? ("Narita Express" trains are available until around 21:45 in NRT.)

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/25 08:15
Sorry for nitpicking, but Green Cars are ranked not at the first class; Gran Class on JR-East Shinkansen is the first class.

I appreciate your preciseness, but I think in a practical sense it's easier to for regular travelers to understand the Green Car as first class, especially as they are not familiar with the complicated history of trains in Japan. Otherwise it becomes unnecessarily confusing.

P. S. 2014/6/25 09:05
Most "Narita Expressh trains leaving NRT are two-destination trains until reaching Tokyo Station, where they are divided into two parts.
- Timetable for "Narita Expressh trains
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/com...
: One train may be explained two pages.

yllwsmrf: especially as they are not familiar with the complicated history of trains in Japan.

I agree that JR services and fee systems are complicated due to a historical background; and I understand that in most cases we do not need to mention it in explanation for travelers.

Green Car is what I feel difficult to explain; I have seen Green Car seats of a Ltd. Express train in western Japan which look almost the same as its Ordinary-Class seats and obviously poorer than Shinkansen Ordinary-Class seats, but even such a lower-graded Green Car service requires an additional charge.

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/25 10:15
Thanks for your info.
I have another question...

Is there any prepaid phone service in Japan?
We have mobiles which are unlocked and need only a sim. We'll be there only for 2wks

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/25 12:59
Use Google "rental sim Japan".
by W3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sobu line or Narita Express to Ofuna? 2014/6/25 13:44
Is there any prepaid phone service in Japan?

Yes, what type of service do you need? Voice, data, both?

Prepaid sim card 2014/6/25 15:02
Yes, I need voice & data both. We'll be there only for 2wks

reply to this thread