Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Easiest way from Tsumago to Kamikochi? 2014/7/1 06:00
Dear all,

I am planning to travel to Japan in August.

From Kyoto, I would like to go to Matsumoto, then do the Magome-Tsumago walk, then head to Kamikochi and Hakone.

Does this seem to be a good plan? How can I reach Kamikochi from Tsumago?

Many thanks in advance for your advice,

Kind regards,

Aline
by Opaline  

Re: Easiest way from Tsumago to Kamikochi? 2014/7/1 22:35
Not sure about the rest of your itinerary but consider taking in Kamikochi on your way from Kyoto to Matsumoto. From Kyoto go to Takayama and then you can travel to Matsumoto by bus with an enroute stop in Kamikochi even if you are not planning to stay overnight in Kamikochi. Note that Takayama is another highly worthwhile destination in Japan and is best explored by staying a night at least.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Easiest way from Tsumago to Kamikochi? 2014/7/2 04:43
Not to try to talk you out of the Tsumago/Magome walk, but really it isnt all that interesting. I thought that Takayama was a nicer historic town than Magome or Tsumago (though Magome is very interesting the way it is built on a hill) and ultimately I found for walks and hikes Kamikouchi and Karuizawa much more rewarding than Tsumago/Magome. That said, if I was to fit the towns in I would do the Tsumago/Magome walk, then on to the wideview shinano to Matsumoto (great castle by the way), then from Matsumoto by train/bus to Kamikouchi. On our last trip we then went on to Nagano from Matsumoto and caught the shinkansen to Karuizawa which is about an hour out from Tokyo.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread