Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso valley early december? 2014/7/11 20:46
Hi all, I am going to Japan in November and December of his year. I would like to do the Tsumago-Magome hike between Tokyo and Kyoto.

I have heard that the route Magome - Tsumago is the better to do (more downhill)
But is it do-able in late November and early December? Like 27 November - 3 december?
How is the weather around that time? I have searched for a overview, but have not found it yet for that region.
I like to walk, but am not a realy hiker for more difficult conditions (like snow).

I like to travel at slow pace, but is it too slow (like to much time in comparison to what is too see there) to do it like this:

day x, Arrive in Magome from Tokyo, see Magome stay the night
day y, Walk to Tsumago, see Tsumago, stay the night
day z, Go to Kyoto

Hope for your answers, many thanks!
Brian
by Brian Lokere (guest)  

Re: Kiso valley early december? 2014/7/12 09:28
Yep, it is easier to go from Magome to Tsumago. The first km is steepish uphill, the rest is more gentle downhill. At about 5km or so there is a deviation to go to the waterfalls which is worth the extra walking even if you are knackered.

I went in the beginning of December last year, in fact it was that warm on the walk that I wished I hadnt bought a jacket, though the Kiso area generally was pretty cold, but not snowing. It was Sunday when we went through Tsumago to get to Kisoji and it was busy, but Monday when I did the walk. I found that the towns were pretty dead during the week, with not much open, not even for a feed (and I was snapping after the walk). So if I was going again, I'd probably try to get there on a weekend where it might be a little more lively.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread