Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsumoto and Kamikochi for overnight stay 2014/7/19 06:40
Hi all

I have a night booked in Matsumoto followed by a night in Kamikochi. We want to spend an extra day in Tokyo is it possible to visit Matsumoto Castle in the morning and them head to Kamikochi for my overnight stay? Or is it too rushed? We'll be going to Takayama after Kamikochi.

Thanks in advance

David
by pirespt  

Re: Matsumoto and Kamikochi for overnight stay 2014/7/19 12:55
If you start the day in Tokyo, you can be in Matsumoto around 9:30 at the earliest. Fast travelers require 2-3 hours to see the castle (including access from the station). Slow travelers will need more time. So, fast travelers should be able to catch the 12:09 train in direction of Matsumoto and arrive there at 13:55. Depending on the time of the year, this will give you 2-5 hours before sunset:
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/access/bus-timetable_1/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto and Kamikochi for overnight stay 2014/7/19 16:33
We are pretty slow travelers, but I think for us 3 hours would be the maximum you'd need at the castle. It is very interesting inside with armour and guns etc, so you'd potentially spend an hour in there, and maybe a half hour outside looking at it (it is very nice). It doesnt really have any gardens of note, and the museum isnt anywhere near as good as what is in the castle itself and doesnt have anything much in english so for the most part I didnt know the significance of what I was looking at. So I'd think that if you caught a taxi from the station rather than walking (probably a 10 to 15 minute walk) and skipped the museum, you'd potentially get it all done within a couple of hours tops.

There is a shopping alley near the castle too, along the river, but while it is fun enough if you have time, I wouldnt make a special point to see it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto and Kamikochi for overnight stay 2014/7/19 17:52
Thank you both we'll be going at the end of September so we should have a few hours before sunset.

I think it's doable. This way we will be able to go Nikko for a day and spend a day in Disney Sea.
by pirespt rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto and Kamikochi for overnight stay 2014/7/19 18:24
but I think for us 3 hours would be the maximum you'd need at the castle.

Note that my estimates included 45-60 minutes for access to the castle and back. So, "2-3 hours" means that you have 1-2 hours at the castle itself.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread