Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 03:17
Hi,

I'm planning to come over from mid-november to mid-december : Tokyo, Kyoto, and their surroundings, but also Fuji-san if the weather and the snow conditions allow it.

For the experienced mountain climbers that would have already tried the ascent in winter:
There it is! I know from reading that I might need to come with my ice cleats and ice axe (is it really necessary to take my ice axe?). How steep can it be? Would poles suffice?
Is it possible to begin the climb at the 5th station in winter or do I have to start from the bottom? Which trail?

How many meters (vertical gain) would it take from the bottom or from the 5th station?
Any risks of avalanche in late november? Because then I would need to find someone for the both of us to have an avalanche bip, snow probe and a snow shovel...

Who can I notify that i'm trying to ascent Fuji-san? The police? Mountain rescuer's unit like in France (PGHM at Chamonix)?
Any advice is welcome! Hour of departure, how long would it take for the ascent and to get back to the train station, ... :)

To present myself, I would say that I'm an experienced alpinist. I've completed the full list of mountain ascents needed to present the high mountain guide examination at Chamonix (I'm french). Several ascents beyond 4000 meters.

I would climb with an average backpack (including down jacket, goretex jacket, snow gloves, ice cleats an axe, water and food) around 600 and 800 meters per hour (elevation gain).

Thank you if you can help me in any way,

Coco
by Coconogo  

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 09:12
See here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

While the official climbing season is July-August, experienced climbers can climb Fuji-san all year round. However:
From October to around mid June, climbing to the summit is highly perilous due to extreme wind and weather conditions, snow, ice and a risk of avalanches.

It is highly unlikely the mountain huts will be open at this time (they mainly function during the main climbing season, some through September also).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 09:24
Yes, I already read it. But "from october to around mid june" is very large.
In France in november, sometimes we still have really good conditions and not so much snow to practice mountaineering...and then we wouldn't have winter conditions yet.
That's why I was asking if some would have tried at this period.
What I would really like to know is how usually are the conditions near Fuji-san in mid/late november. Would it be really different than the conditions I could encounter in the French Alps?

Thank you anyway for your reply
by Coconogo rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 10:42
Try here then:
http://www17.plala.or.jp/climb_fujiyama/index.html
Specifically Nov, with pictures taken by climber:
http://climbfujiyama.blogspot.com.au/2007/12/climbing-mtfuji-in-nov.ht...

The website has detailed information on weather and even statistics of fatalities in off-climbing season. While most of them occur in true winter (Dec & Jan), there were a few in Nov (from slipping and being blown away). Maybe you should just see what weather conditions are like on the day you plan to climb, and contact the authorities listed on the website (under 'Season') to ask if it is safe at the time. Can't predict the weather this far ahead!

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 19:09
You are too Kid to climb Mt Fuji in November.
You need to be an experienced climber to reach the summit of Mt Fuji. Mt Fuji is not a hiking spot. Again, you are too kid.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 19:52
"You are too Kid to climb Mt Fuji in November."

I did several alpine ascents beyond 3000m and 4000m in the French Alps : Kuffner, Grand Capucin, Meije... (Chamonix, Ecrins)

Are you saying that Fuji-san is more difficult than those alpine ascents?

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 20:54
Like the link I posted said: Fuji-san is different! You need to be an expert climber. in the end, this is your call; but you risk your life in the process. I would strongly advise planning another trip in the official season, or in September if you want less crowds.

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 20:55
Mount Fuji is a mountain alone.
I climbed in August.
There is about 55kg weight, but when I climbed the slope of the weather station, I felt the danger that seems to be blown away.
The higher the winter, the wind is stronger.
In addition, because the snow freezes, it is easy to slip.
There seems to be a thing that Aizen is not get stuck in ice.
http://fujisan.rash.jp/fuyufuji/talk1.html
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 21:05
Thank you for your answers.

Well I know fully the risks of practicing high mountain ascents in winter conditions. In France anyway, as i'm a french mountain rescuer.

That's why I was seeking informations before venturing myself without thinking.

Would it be more interesting to go to the Japanese Alps in november then?
I'd really want to come across Japanese mountains during my trip.

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 21:33
If it's mountains and hiking you're after, I suggest getting a copy of Lonely Planet's Hiking in Japan. I have a copy and it is excellent! It gives hiking routes for every region ranging from short hikes to multi day trips, with detailed info on how to get to the trail heads and what season to do each route in.

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 21:43
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 21:57
Well in the first place I want to discover Japan's culture and cities, japan's way of life.
But as I love mountaineering and rockclimbing, I'd like to see a bit of Japanese mountains too if I can include it in my trip.

Of course Fuji-san is a Japan's symbol. So climbing it would be great...

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 22:44
This blogger and post may have some information for you and talks about the specifics tricky spots of a winter Fuji climb: http://climbjapan.blogspot.jp/2013/01/winter-mt-fuji-some-climbing-str...

I am not a climber (Fuji in summer was enough for me!) but for a climber who has alpine experience like you do it seems very doable if you have a good plan and the right gear (the blogger who is very experienced says it is not a technically difficult climb but things such as the very high winds make it challenging).
by mochim rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 23:11
Thank you very much Mochim!
It's exactly what I was searching for.

Well seems it's like for the Mont Blanc in Chamonix. Not a technically difficult climb but could end up being really perilous because of high speed winds.

Anyway, like always in high mountain, weather or snow conditions of the moment will dictate if the ascent can be safe enough.

Arigato gozaimasu,
Coco

Re: Climbing Fuji-san in mid-november 2014/7/22 23:40
@ tokyo friend 48

"You are too Kid to climb Mt Fuji in November.
You need to be an experienced climber to reach the summit of Mt Fuji. Mt Fuji is not a hiking spot. Again, you are too kid."

Are you trying to say he's too young to climb Fujisan in November?

He's clearly indicated how much experience he has and I feel that an experienced Alpinist and mountain rescue guide in France who is asking serious and valid questions about a winter ascent of Fuji deserves a better and more considered response than your offhand rejection of his plans based on your assumptions because of his age.

A 13 year old boy climbed Everest. No doubt you would have told him to forget his dream because he's 'too kid'...

rolls eyes...
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread