Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working holiday Questions 2014/7/22 18:13
Hey, I will be going to japan on a working holiday visa and I would like know if there is anyway to have a Japanese bank account that i could access the ATMS with that is not a travellers card, also I am a type1 Diabetic and I would like to know how I would go about buying medication inside the country and what I would need to do so.

Thanks!
by tenbuk  

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/22 18:51
I can't help with the medication question, but I can tell you that you won't be able to get a Japanese bank account on a WHV.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/22 18:59
so how would i manage my money? last time I was in Japan I had a travellers card (master card) which made me quite restricted with when and where I could access my money.
by tenbuk rate this post as useful

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/22 19:42
MasterCards are notoriously unconvenient in Japan, although the situation has improved recently. Get a Visa if you can.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/23 08:30
MasterCards are notoriously unconvenient in Japan, although the situation has improved recently. Get a Visa if you can.

Unconvenient?

Nothing wrong with the message of your post, but didn't you just jump all over another poster saying they were unfit to be an English teacher for using the word irregardless?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/23 08:47
I was under the impression most foreign cards are accepted at postal and 7-11 ATMs, with the exception of the Maestro Mastercards. But yes, a VISA would probably be a more convenient option. Travel cards are still good value for long term stays, provided you get one that doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals, has a good exchange rate and you don't use is every day (i.e., you withdraw large sums at a time). Try the 28 Degrees Mastercard - my friends and family swear by it as a travel card.

Considering your employer won't be paying into a Japanese bank account, they may pay you in cash, in which case you wouldn't have to worry.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working holiday Questions 2014/7/23 08:52
Guest, I think you've been misinformed about the bank accounts. I had no problems opening an account with JP bank when I arrived with my WHV last year, and neither have any of the other WHV holders I've spoken to. The embassy websites don't mention anything about opening bank accounts, but there are plenty of holiday agencies will assist WHV holders with opening a bank account, and they probably wouldn't be allowed to do that if it was illegal.

To the op, as long as you try to open a JP bank account, you should have no problems, but most other banks don't want to deal with anyone thet has just arrived in the country.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread