Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/23 05:55
Hello everyone, my name is Luis. I have applied for a job in Japan, most probably based in Tokyo, if it does come through I would probably move there. Im currently a proud owner of the most loving pitbull on earth, and obviously would like to take him with me. I have read through the past threads on this matter and only found answers dated back to 2008. Can anyone tell me if Japan currently has Breed Specific Legislation? Many countries are banning pitbulls for their bad reputation, so Im interested in finding out if Japan, or in this case Tokyo would accept my dog. Also found threads with the requirements for importing dogs, but also seem to be outdated. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me info on this matter. Thanks a lot in advance!
by Luchman  

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/23 09:22
I rarely see pitbulls here in Japan.

All I can say is good luck finding an apartment whose owner accept foreigners and dogs and specifically large dogs. You wil have a hard time getting both...you have no idea.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/23 10:10
You will have to enquire to the relevant authorities. Try the below link to start. If they cannot answer the question directly, they should be able to to provide you with the contact details of the relevant authority.

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/

As said above, it could be quite difficult to find a place to live which allows dogs. This will no doubt be a challenge, but not impossible.
by Smokey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/23 10:39
This will no doubt be a challenge, but not impossible.

Sure he may find, I just hope he has a good expatriate package and a big bank account. Most small japanese apartments are small and owners refuse dogs because of noise, usually walls are as thin as washi (rice paper).

Because of this he will need mansion and because of the dog he will pay a lot. Not all mansions accept dogs so he will end up looking for expatriate ghetto mansion in Tokyo which are quite expensive.

It is not easy to find an apartment when you are a foreigner so I can imagine looking for one with a dog...

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/23 15:51
If your boss is willing to help you to find an apartment, it would reduce the challenge considerably.

Years ago I had a friend who had a dog (not a pitbull though).
My boss hired him through the internet, and, as always she had an apartment ready for him (where the previous teacher used to live).
However, he said that he wouldn't come to Japan unless his dog could come along, so my boss found another apartment.

It was just a small apartment, too, one normal sized room, one small loft and a tiny area with a kitchen, bathroom, etc. Your typical Japanese apartment for a single person.

If you have to look on your own, I don't imagine that it will be easy to find, but if you can get help from the person sponsoring your visa, you should be able to find something.

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/24 10:00
It is not easy to find an apartment when you are a foreigner so I can imagine looking for one with a dog...

I am very aware of what it is like to rent apartments and houses in Japan and the difficulties that can be associated with it, having been through the process many times.
I have seen a number of people, both foreigners and Japanese, successfully find places to live that allow pets in Tokyo, and that is why I state it is not impossible.
by Smokey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breed Specific Legislation 2014/7/29 05:27
Thanks everyone! This gives me a good idea of what I'd be up against. Thanks for taking the time answering. Does any of you guys know of a Japanese teaching center? I would obviously start taking classes from here, but I'd like to take some Japanese culture induction courses also. I want to be able to show the appropriate respect. Thanks again guys!
by Luchman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread