Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I dorm? 2014/7/23 12:06
I will be attending Waseda University this fall and was wondering if it would be better to dorm or stay on my own for the first year. I am an international student so I would like to be able to meet loads of new people. However I am concerned about the dorming situation. For example the dorms seem quite far from the campus. Also Waseda has its own dorms (WID) and then dorms from another company (WRD). If I were to live in the WRD dorms (which have students from many universities) would I still be able to meet people? I also hear that privacy is an issue with the dorms and getting an apartment closer to the university might be better.

I'm sorry that my question is kind of jumbled up :P Basically, would it be wise to dorm the first year and then possibly move out the next?
by Loremasterfyra  

Re: Should I dorm? 2014/7/24 09:47
Most people would choose to stay in a dorm for a year then move out the next year. Especially if it's going to be your first time in Japan (or first time on your own in Japan ) it is recommended that you stay in a dorm. No matter which dorm you stay at I believe if you put yourself out there you will be able to make friends.

Now some people do skip the dorms and move into their own apartments but it might be a little difficult to do if you are still living overseas. But there are websites that allow you look for apartments and pay in advance but those fees are ridiculously expensive and I recommend you to look for an apartment when you are in Japan.

If you stay in an apartment you would be living alone right? Since you want to make friends I say you should stay in a dorm first cause you have the chance to make friends while staying in a dorm.

Sorry for the long post!
Congrats on be accepted to Waseda. I go to school not too far as well :)
by oxox (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I dorm? 2014/7/29 14:23
Depends on what you expect from your college life.

Just be aware that dorms are very strictin JP. There is curfew at ~8.30pm that can be delayed to 10.30pm on special request. You can't have any guest over or even have them getting in. All amnesties are shared and you got to bend to japanese social standard (which can be a good xp as well).

If you see yourself having fun going out and partying I would stay away from JP dorms. If you're looking for immersion though they can be a good experience.

IMO, Dorms will not help you to meet people (at least not Japanese). I suggest you sign up to college club for that (bukatsu).
by pcyan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I dorm? 2014/7/30 12:52
Thank you guys! I think I am leaning towards staying in a dorm (at least for my first year like oxox suggested). The dorm that I got accepted into closes at 12 PM and I don't think I would be staying out after that time (trains close really early in Tokyo from what I hear). The only thing that I don't like is that people can't come to your room :( But I guess I'll just deal with that for a year xD And thank you pycan ~~ I'll definitely be joining clubs and activities on campus.

Thank you oxox ^^ Thats cool! Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime:) Are you in university atm?
by Loremasterfyra rate this post as useful

Re: Should I dorm? 2014/8/1 16:58
Just a little advice that you will need a guarantor (保証人) or a contact person for an emergency (緊急連絡先) if you rent an apartment room. If you do not have, you will need to contact with the company who will be your guarantor or contact person, which is not very cheap.
You had better estimate your budge.
Please enjoy your Japan life.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Should I dorm? 2014/8/2 00:45
pcyan hit the nail right on the head "Depends on what you expect from your college life."

do you want to have the dorm room experience or do you not. you make your own college experience.

most people would do their first year in a dorm than after get the creap out if they cant stand bring around people who are not clean or respect their roommate. i went to an all american college and i never did the dorm room thing.i wish i did but only for 6 month than i would exit.i had my own apartment.

wish you luck, remember you get your own place you gotta ask yourself, do you want roommate or live on your own? but you wont be making a lot of friends that way.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread