Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/24 17:39
We've got a pretty good schedule up to 9pm, but what can we do afterwards that doesn't involve a bar or a club?

In Taiwan, I would just stroll through the park or night market, but from what I've read so far, everything in Kyoto closes at 6pm. It seems most of the temples are closed after 5pm as well… Are there any good sight-seeing spots open at night? Any traditional activities (street performers, chess games, etc.) that we could watch?

What are the best places to take pictures of at night?

Keeping in mind that we will be there at the end of September, so there won't be any major holidays (or temple days that I'm aware of) during our stay, what do you suggest we do to take advantage of our time?

Thanks in advance for your help!
by TrudyM  

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/25 00:00
The souvenir shops in Kyoto normally open until 20:00 or 21:00(Mon-Sun). Temples/Shrines close their door between 16:00-17:00 for security reasons but they normally open the door at 5:00 or 6:00(The sightseeing tours begin around 9:00).
Izakaya style restaurants/bars open until late. Kyoto is a traditional student town more than 100 years. Therefore, some noodle restaurants(Udon-ya) normally open until mid-night for students.
I think it's too late to take photo after 21:00.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/25 10:49
Fushimi Inari doesn't close at all but it's probably too dark to take any decent photos come dusk and the walking trail isn't exactly well lit, so one would not be safe from falls or tripping.

JG apparently states that Yasaka Shrine has no closing time. Perhaps you can stroll around Gion/Pontocho if you haven't decided to do so.

Would you like the musical light display? (https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=kyoto+station+stairs&tbm=isch&tbo=u...)

The Kyoto Station staircase is lit up in the evening. Not sure if it's still available at 9ish but if it does, it could take up some of your time.

Then the Skyway tunnel above it offers some view of the city and the station. It closes at 10pm. Not a bad idea for a short stroll.

Or you could check out the pachinkos (there is a row around Kyoto Tower) which open late but probably no photos allowed.

Will you be going to Osaka? Osaka probably has more night life and photo ops.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/25 18:27
Two ideas:

1) go to a bar and drink tea/juice

2) go to bed early and get up early. That way you can steal a march on the other sightseers.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/26 01:49
Although we plan on going to bed early and getting up early on most days, we thought it would be interesting to do something at night at least once while were there…

Judging from your comments, however, it looks like there isn't much to do after 9pm, so I guess we'll just walk around and see if we can find any streets lit up nicely.

Thanks, CLLR for the suggestion of the Sky Tower. We'll definitely do that! As for pachinko… I don't thing I could get within 500 meters of one of those places without needing to cover my ears, so we'll skip that! ;)

Now to go focus on getting in shape to walk all the temple steps...
by TrudyM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/26 02:08
Walking around Higashiyama or Gion at night is nice. There is plenty to take pictures of.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Nights: Alcohol Free & Photo Ops 2014/7/26 04:47
Thanks, daimou!
by TrudyM (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread